Any good Famicom only platformers

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Any good Famicom only platformers

Post by retrosportsgamer »

General_Norris wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:Gimmick isn't a Famicom exclusive, it was also released on the NES. It's alot cheaper to buy for Famicom though.

True. It was released in Scandinavia only during 1992. Which means it's horribly expensive and you need an European console to play it. :lol:

It also has less sound channels.

Lol, yeah I was going to add - I guess technically, yes, since Europe saw it as you noted.

Most play reproduction carts the US finished prototype that was never published.
Duke.Togo
128-bit

Post by Duke.Togo »

The music on Gimmick! for Famicom is really fantastic. Worth getting even at the price.

Check out Chrontendo for a great video series to learn more about all Famicom titles, and what the hidden gems are: http://chrontendo.blogspot.com/
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Bump for cheftendo's list.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Duke.Togo wrote:Gimmick is really great, and I'd also agree with Moon Crystal and Akumajou Densetsu (CVIII). I'd also recommend the two Wai Wai World titles, Armadillo, the Wagyan Land games, Layla, Bio Senshi Dan, Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula Kun!, Atlantis no Nazo, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Getsu Fūma Den, Hebereke, Holy Diver, Miracle Ropit's Adventure In 2100, Mitsume ga Tooru, and I'm sure there are several I'm missing.

Tons of great titles to be had, enjoy!

Everything said here. Gimmick, Moon Crystal, and Holy Driver would be the three to try and hunt down first though.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

fastbilly1 wrote:Everything said here. Gimmick, Moon Crystal, and Holy Diver would be the three to try and hunt down first though.

I actually have all three CIB. Moon Crystal is usually brought up in threads like this, but I don't think it's that great of a game. It's alright, yes, but the game design isn't quite there. There's one extremely simple tactic that works 100% effectively against all the bosses except the last two. That's kinda bad.

It's still a decent game, the stage design is pretty nifty, but the lackluster boss battles really bring it down a couple of notches in my eyes.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ghegs wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Everything said here. Gimmick, Moon Crystal, and Holy Diver would be the three to try and hunt down first though.

I actually have all three CIB. Moon Crystal is usually brought up in threads like this, but I don't think it's that great of a game. It's alright, yes, but the game design isn't quite there. There's one extremely simple tactic that works 100% effectively against all the bosses except the last two. That's kinda bad.

It's still a decent game, the stage design is pretty nifty, but the lackluster boss battles really bring it down a couple of notches in my eyes.

While true, it is similar to Prince of Persia in that regard. And I highly recommend Prince of Persia to anyone wanting a good platformer.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Ever since I got into Famicom I've been a bit bummed out Prince of Persia never came out for it and is NES-only. I do have a converter, and some other titles that didn't receive a Famicom version, but still. FC carts are just more fun.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ghegs wrote:FC carts are just more fun.

Agreed. I am tempted to paint my spare Dr Mario cart white to be more like its FC brethren.