Gun Control

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: Gun Control

Post by MrPopo »

I preface by saying that massive gun banning is siilly. That said:

Ark Thompson wrote:Perhaps if more and more gun retailers only sold to law-abiding citizens who are without a criminal record and possessed a CCW then such incidents of senseless violence(alluding to last night) might not happen.

Every criminal didn't have a criminal record until the first time they were caught. If the first time is a mugging at gunpoint then they would have gotten their gun without a criminal record.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Abolish guns? In theory I'd be fine with the idea, but here's the thing: how on earth do you plan to get rid of the countless of guns already out there, including the countless guns that are possessed illegally? No way in hell can you do that.

All it would do is keep the guns out of the hands of legal, law-abiding, responsible owners. Criminals would still have other means.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

People willing to murder will have guns whether it's legal or not. They're easy to get secondhand. It would be silly to take them away from law-abiding citizens - that would only give gun-wielding criminals more power.

I think people who understand and respect firearms are less likely to abuse deadly force. My grandfather grew up around guns and was one of the best shots in his school's rifle club. People back then had a healthier image of the gun. It's a tool with a specific purpose, but it's the person who uses the tool that's important.

Violent crime is a huge problem and it needs to be dealt with, but the campaign against guns is misdirected. To change our culture's violent ways means to change our culture. Legislation that affects everything but the problem is not the way to do it.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Ark Thompson
8-bit

Post by Ark Thompson »

MrPopo wrote:I preface by saying that massive gun banning is siilly. That said:

Ark Thompson wrote:Perhaps if more and more gun retailers only sold to law-abiding citizens who are without a criminal record and possessed a CCW then such incidents of senseless violence(alluding to last night) might not happen.

Every criminal didn't have a criminal record until the first time they were caught. If the first time is a mugging at gunpoint then they would have gotten their gun without a criminal record.

I agree with your objection, but think of it this way. What is the likelihood of a person with good moral standing and has had a CCW(concealed-carry weapons permit) going on a massacre as their first ever criminal offence?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Ack wrote:The point is, it is incredibly easy to kill people, and anyone who wants to will get their hands on something to do it with.

That was my point. Not to start a gun argument. This guy was either insane or had a bad moral compass.

@D.D.D.

Ok, since bleach was brought up, bleach and ammonia are easy to obtain things that are bad when mixed together. Hell, molotov cocktails are easy to make. He could have blocked exits and started a fire or filled the theater with toxic gas. A determined nutjob, especially a smart one such as this guy who was going after a PhD up until weeks ago, can figure out a way. :?

People need to pay attention to the people around them and speak up if something doesn't look right. And I don't mean idiots reporting people just because they're brown, wearing a trenchcoat, or listening to some aggressive music.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Ark Thompson wrote:I agree with your objection, but think of it this way. What is the likelihood of a person with good moral standing and has had a CCW(concealed-carry weapons permit) going on a massacre as their first ever criminal offence?

Just to play devil's advocate, this guy supposedly had no interactions with the police other than a traffic stop previously. So what would have kept him from getting a CCW unless someone thought he was acting strangely in class?
Ack

Post by Ack »

A friend of mine hunts with a semi-automatic rifle. Here's the thing: semi-automatic means it fires a single round every time you pull the trigger, just like a revolver, a pump shotgun, or a bolt-action rifle. Fully automatic means it shoots continuously every time you pull the trigger, but unless you pay for and carry special licenses, you cannot legally possess a weapon that can shoot fully automatic. Now I do know a few folks who have these, but they're either military personnel or firearms dealers.

I live in the deep South. I have family who have lived and hunted for their food in the South, in Texas, and in Alaska. In the South, deer hunting is popular, especially because man has been forced to take over as the deer's natural predator considering men from previous generations managed to drive out the majority of the deer's typical natural predators. We also tend to use firearms for things like putting down rabid animals (yes, this does happen. There is enough rural land in the South where we have to handle these kinds of things. And a semi-automatic rifle works really nice when considering putting down a rabid rottweiler, or in other cases, packs of feral dogs). As for my uncle who lived in Alaska, he also hunted for food, but he kept his firearms handy in case of bears and wolverines.

Also, the term "assault weapon" is ultimately meaningless, as every weapon is used for assault. It's a beefed-up term generally thrown around by people who tend to know very little about firearms yet think they're experts.
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

Really? You want to open this can of beans?

I'll just say that I've known some good people who've died because of guns, and having a gun in the house makes it far more likely that a child will be injured or killed by it. Why work out our problems with each other when we can let guns do the talking?
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hobie-wan wrote:
Ack wrote:The point is, it is incredibly easy to kill people, and anyone who wants to will get their hands on something to do it with.

That was my point. Not to start a gun argument. This guy was either insane or had a bad moral compass.

Yeah, I know. And considering his claims of being the Joker and the claims of anti-social behavior from his neighbors (they claimed he would never speak or look at them when they tried interacting with him), I'm going to say he was insane.
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

"I'm from the deep South, let's sell AA-15's in densely populated urban areas"

Yeah, I'm done here.