What NES game has the best graphics?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Locke wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:No one's mentioned Dragon’s Lair.

only PAL, the NTSC runs so choppy and slow :?

It's still Dragon's Lair.

The real Dragon's Lair game has endlessly better graphics, and for those who don't know has the distinction of being the first laserdisc game, being released in 1983. For anyone who hasn't since the arcade (real) version of dragon's lair, the graphics are nearly identical to the animation of a disney film, as several employees from disney helped develop the game. It also had very hi-fidelity sound. It was arguably the most graphically advanced game for 15+- years.

Allow me to revise my statement: It's still Dragon's Lair for the NES.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

Just checked out a vid of Dragon's Lair NES. I've never seen that before! Pretty interesting animation and Dirk is a huge sprite.

On the Laserdisc game -- not sure that counts. I wouldn't even classify it as graphics. It's just a cartoon with joystick inputs.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

With video games, they get better as the system ages.

For example, compare:

* Super Mario Bros 1 and 3
* Sonic 1 and Sonic and Knuckles
* Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 9
* Timesplitters and Killzone (PS2 game)

So, the more recent games tend to look better than least recent ones. You see, over time, developers find out all of its secrets (paraphrasing racketboy's article) and they know what they are truly capable of.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

REPO Man wrote:With video games, they get better as the system ages.

No shit. It's common knowledge that the more time developers have with a platform, the better they can develop for it.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

GSZX1337 wrote:
REPO Man wrote:With video games, they get better as the system ages.

No shit. It's common knowledge that the more time developers have with a platform, the better they can develop for it.

Geeez dude...this is a discussion not an argument!

And I kind of disagree...while yes they are more detailed, graphics are becoming less and less stylized. Sometimes it's the limitations that force creativity. I find that 8 and 16 bit games have a certain charm that most newer titles just don't have. It's like this magical balance that happened only because they were limited by technologly. There is soo much creativity, the games feel like a world of their own.

After that. in the 32 bit gen, polygons took over and only now and again you got a wonderful sprite animated game that just looked stunning. Think about the first time you saw Tomb Raider or FF7....you probably thought "Holy cow this looks amazing!!!!" but when compared to Astal or Saga Frontier...they look like crap. The latter games with their sprite animation and beautiful color pallete still look great today. The good news is that there seems to be a bit of a retro revival right now and people are doing some cool stuff.

So older games actually "look" better to me.....because they are move creative and less realistic.