Fatal Fury: MOW question

Brawlers and Beatemups
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

marurun wrote:
Mozgus wrote:
marurun wrote:I have MOTW and Last Blade 2, US release both. Neither have any loading problems whatsoever.

Play as a fast character or just get good at the games. Towards the end of most matches, you'll start hearing sound effects and battle cries getting delayed by up to 2 seconds.

Nope, not at all, never once, and I did indeed play both a bit. I usually played the monk guy in LB2 because I like the way his attacks string together. It sounds to me like there were some bad pressings of the game or something because I don't observe this at all.

What about the excessive loading? You cant hear it that well with the sound up.

On PS2 - I wouldnt want to play any 2d fighter on a PS2 controller
marurun

Post by marurun »

I don't mind if there's a little extra loading between battles. I'd notice if there was loading mid-match because it would probably throw off timings, and as I said, I have noticed none of that. I was VERY happy with both MOTW and LB2 on my Dreamcast.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

nateup2 wrote:
marurun wrote:
Mozgus wrote:
marurun wrote:I have MOTW and Last Blade 2, US release both. Neither have any loading problems whatsoever.

Play as a fast character or just get good at the games. Towards the end of most matches, you'll start hearing sound effects and battle cries getting delayed by up to 2 seconds.

Nope, not at all, never once, and I did indeed play both a bit. I usually played the monk guy in LB2 because I like the way his attacks string together. It sounds to me like there were some bad pressings of the game or something because I don't observe this at all.

What about the excessive loading? You cant hear it that well with the sound up.

On PS2 - I wouldnt want to play any 2d fighter on a PS2 controller

You gotta get some of those Street Fighter Anniversary 6-button pads. I use them for most of my retro gaming on the PS2. They're like chunky Saturn pads. You can use the Xbox ones for PC as well. Just buy a replacement breakaway cable and splice it into a USB cable.
marurun

Post by marurun »

OK, I'm posting this same message in 2 threads. There's been some heat on the Dreamcast US version of Fatal Fury (Garou): Mark of the Wolves lately. I booted it up just today to take a look.

The only problem I can find with this game, in comparison to the Neo Geo version, is that most people only have the default Dreamcast controller. If you have a 6-button fighter pad or a joystick the experience should be arcade perfect with the exception of the slightly retouched music. Talk of sound delays? I can't find them. All the hit noises and grunts are spot on. A couple characters have cries or move name that sound a little late, but that's just how the moves go. When Kushnood Butt zips in close (down to back + light kick) his voice sample doesn't start until he's almost done with the quick move, but it's perfectly natural and a check of the Neo Geo ROM confirms the sound timing is the same.

Also, the control timing and input is the same, accounting for controller differences of course. Whiners on the Dreamcast version of Mark of the Wolves either just don't like the game very much or they haven't played some comparison games back to back.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

The game is trash, bottom line.

Just kidding, its a classic!

My original question about weather or not the constant loading thing happened with the commercial version has been answered somewhat diversely. A couple people said the commercial version does constantly load, and a few said that the constant loading is only a problem with the burned copy.

Maybe there are a few different commercial versions out there.

I guess I'll just roll my dice and order a copy...bthat way I get the drawings and what not anyways.
marurun

Post by marurun »

No constant loading on my commercial US copy in my US Dreamcast.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
nateup2
128-bit

Post by nateup2 »

marurun wrote:No constant loading on my commercial US copy in my US Dreamcast.

Thanks for the verdict on your copy... I'm going to go ahead and order one, cause the constant loading on my burned copy is rather troubling. (although I have not experienced any sound issues yet)
Inene
8-bit

Post by Inene »

It was a total relief to read this post! I recently acquired it but I haven't played it a lot because my gf's dreamcast sounds like a shrieking beat boxer. Good to know that they just tend to sound like it. Now I just need to switch out her fan.