What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by REPO Man »

Charlotte, NC is not the home to the second largest film industry in the world. Plus if I was going to settle for a lesser city, I would have done so by now. If I told my parents back in '06/'07 that I wanted to move to Charlotte or Raleigh or Winston-Salem they'd probably have fewer qualms about me moving away.

But I want and need NYC. As I've said before it checks the most boxes.

As for Cash Jordan, at some point I got sick of his doom-and-gloom AI-thumbnailed clickbait BS. Even Hear Be Barr says that while there's SOME truth to the claims, the truth is more often than not stretched for the sake of clicks. And in Brett Conti's last video, all he had to say about living in NYC were good things.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Because they have money. That's why. Brett is being paid to travel through being an Expedia ambassador, and Barr has a substantial user base. He (both really) literally makes money by producing videos and putting them online. After all this talk with you wanting to get into film industry, I don't think I've seen a single link to a movie, short, or youtube video that you produced or had a hand in since I joined and hopped on this trainwreck.

And how do you know if Cash Jordan is saying bullshit or not? You don't live here. You don't see it. He says doom and gloom shit because it's the truth. Migrant crisis, scooter gangs, sophisticated theft rings, homelessness, congestion pricing, small business being shuttered, and worsening housing crisis. Shit is all true. You can't see it because you think living here is some sort of haven or paradise, based on hollywood's interpretation of how NYC is, or was. It ain't.

I got two sources that tell me the NYC is not #2.

This one says that NYC is #6.

NYC didn't even place here.
Last edited by Gucci on Fri May 10, 2024 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Gucci, you’re arguing with someone with no relevant skills, experience, education, or personal connections, to film OR to NYC. You really think logic and reason are going to be effective rhetorical tools?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I knew this going in and I still got on the train. Like touching a hot pan a second time expecting different results.

Insanity
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

JSYK, the nearest place to rent filmmaking equipment is in Raleigh... four hours away.

And before you say "why not shoot it on your phone" I'd like to remind folks of TWO facts:

* Without any external audio devices, the dialog will sound like shit.
* Most low- to mid-tier smartphones can't produce footage at a high enough resolution to look halfway decent when blown up onto a big screen, which in this case might be for an indie film festival.

Meanwhile, there's an abundance of such rental places in NYC.

Also, I've decided to compare and contrast a handful of different sources on the subject of NYC in 2024, such as this video from someone named Chelsea Callahan and this video from Sarah Funk, but Chelsea Callahan said that more than likely no two people will have the same opinion. I think it's also a matter of where one in NYC lives and their own perception. Like how I'll dump on Hatteras Island but it's actually a pretty great place. I just tend to focus on the negatives, be they perceived (i.e. hard time making friends with shared interests) or legitimate (such as the long-term housing market shrinking more and more due to landlords snatching up places and converting them into AirBnb or VRBO rentals).

In fact, Gucci, I don't think you've mentioned what part of NYC you're from. Same for Note.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I didn’t mention it and I won’t. I’m in NYC which encompasses five boroughs. That is all I’ll say. Anything that happens in one borough will eventually happen to all boroughs. Positive or negative.

And again, those people have money. You don’t, based on some wild posts you’ve made in the past. Your filming equipment, or lack of equipment, is just an excuse. Anyone who has the drive or the passion to do something in that field will do it regardless of equipment. I’ve seen wired mics for $10-$30 on the low end. Excuses. Those rental places charge a grand a week for a full low to mid range set up. That’s a week, not a month.

I got into birding. Yeah, I have a high end phone with the latest and greatest cameras you can get on a phone. I still see guys pull up at the same spot with multi-thousand dollar equipment. I’m still gonna enjoy the hell out of birding and will continue to be proud of the photos and videos I take with my phone. I’m not going to stop because I don’t have a $5,000 Nikon mirrorless camera with a $2,500 135mm lens or whatever.

At the end of the day, you want the success without putting in the work.
Last edited by Gucci on Fri May 10, 2024 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

ripping the bandaid off here.

repro, at this stage in you life why don't you consider film as a hobby and focus on moving out of the bagger/stocker/dishwasher field. I mean, it's been forever dude. and there's nothing wrong with fast food/grocery store, honest work. but, you haven't seemed to graduate to any management position at any of these jobs in how many years? Do something different to better your situation.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Also, don’t move to Charlotte. Raleigh’s closer.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I offhandedly said to my friend one day that he should go into a trade.

This guy's 42, living on welfare in his mom's basement and is business manager of a failed supplement and energy drink company that IMO he is not fit to manage. Surprisingly, he said "Okay, what do I do?".

I got him in contact with my union hall and he's registered to start schooling in September. After getting his safety tickets online, he just spent a week and a half working as a pre-apprentice as a Boilermaker getting tools for the crew and observing what we do. I don't know what his takehome was, but it's probably 4-5X what he gets in a month off welfare.

His course will be paid for by the hall upon completion of the 6 month course, and a government grant will pay his housing while he attends training.

From what I heard from my co-workers he's got at least the attitude and enthusiasm to make it. At the least, he'll probably be pulled out of school a couple times in the fall to work as a 1st year apprentice because our hall is so short of apprentices.

I'm excited to see him out on the field. I got dispatched to start Monday on a 2+ week boiler repair.

If you're interested, Google "What does a Boilermaker earn" and it'll give you the rate for your region.

My friend smokes a lot, and said being on his feet for 11 hours and taking the stairs a lot was a bit challenging. It's not for everyone, but I started at 25, and mostly sat at a computer before. My friend says he understands why I said it's fun. The crew is always positive, joking and making it entertaining to be in these dirty places.

Edit: Huh. I just ran a VPN to see what it was. That's not even enough to live in NYC. Where I live, that's objectively a pretty good wage, and I only really work 6 months a year to make it. Medical, dental and one of the best pensions. I got side hustles, too. Maybe it depends what region you live? Guess you gotta do something more than a highly skilled trade to live comfortably in NYC... I'd struggle unless I was married to another successful wage earner. It'd be okay if I had a kid that helped supplement our income. :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Much of the reason why I don't get promoted is because a promotion implies that what I do is my career and not just a job. As for why I do what I do for a living, it's because that's how I keep the lights on. I'm actually grateful for the fact that both my current jobs are at places that are open year-round but I still get upset over the fact that when the tourist season ends my hours get cut.

Gucci, Note, et al, in NYC, how many times have people been laid off or had their hours cut around September-November due to "the season ending"? Where I live it's actually quite common since most of the businesses mostly do business with tourists. Sure, we get the odd off-season visitors but that's it.

And a couple follow-up questions:

* How many employers mostly staff their businesses with J-1 students? For me, at a lot of the places I worked, once spring rolls around I keep seeing an influx of overseas college students at wherever I'm working. Do businesses in NYC have a lot of J-1 employees in the spring and summer?

* I've heard that no matter how many times a New Yorker may gripe and complain about NYC, they'll defend the fuck outta NYC when someone outside of NYC starts mouthing off about it. How true would you say that is?