Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Official Racketboy Suggestion Forum Thread

Post by Ziggy »

It sounds like the only reason some people do not want the embedded video feature is because they are concerned that people will abuse it and post lots of trash. I have a counterargument for this. One, I don't think the audience here would really abuse this feature. Two, even if a few people did, you can scroll past it just as easily as a URL link. And three, maybe there's a plugin that allows for embedded videos, but also allows for the individual user to turn it on or off. So if you have it on, there will be a small video player in the post. But when off, it'll just be the video URL.

I'd also just like to reiterate that on the few forums I visit that allow for embedded videos, the feature is really nice to have.

Our user base is what it is. It's not going to change just because we implement a new feature. I think such a feature would only ultimately help the forum. I don't think it will attract a different crowd then what's already here. But if the forum is nicer to use, then that may attract more of the type of people that are already here.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I am +1 for adding the feature.

It feels archaic not to have it. I understand the arguments made against it, but then you could make a similar argument that we should remove embedded images so as to not attract people posting nothing but memes.

I personally only see it as a plus, I can see a snapshot of what someone is posting before having to open the video, if I do want to do a quick watch, I can do so if I want to without leaving the page and if it doesn't look like something I am interested in, I can just ignore it, rather than opening a video in a new tab to view what it is.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Heh, only serious talking of the fat plumber, the blue alien rodent and highschool anime cat girl relationship simulations here.

Speaking of plugins; I recently joined the NextGenRoms forum, and the positive-feedback engagement over there is almost overkill. Every post has multiple thumbs-up options, You're by-default notified when people give positive feedback, your feedback rank is gaged as well as your post-count, and you are also notified if users subscribed to your posts so they can be notified whenever you post something. Of course, that forum is based on filling requests and posting is nearly a loot-collecting game, but it really is cool to know how many people are engaging with your posts.

I do appreciate the notification thingy at the top here, but over there, even the posts asking for help get ranked positively, so users who ask a good question are rewarded with a score and every post is given a merit score.

Like I said, it's overkill, but I think alot of it can be disabled for users who just want to read the words.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm a huge advocate for adding some kind of like or thumbs up system. I think that engagement and feedback is crucial in this day.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I will retract my opposition to embedded videos. Others have made good points and given that we already have huge animated gifs, why not videos?

But also, need that like button.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ok -- once I get some of the technical bugs taken care of, I'll have extensions for "Likes" and video embeds on my todo list.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Bitchin'! That'll definitely help with the music and movie threads.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Do we need to have any new rules to cover either of these features, just in case? Like maybe no video dumping without context or something like that? No flooding?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

And definitely no embedded videos in signatures.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

REPO Man wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm And definitely no embedded videos in signatures.
I don't think we would have to worry about that because there's already a rule for max height, which the embedded video would exceed anyway.