Neither Nintendo nor Gumpei Yokoi invented the d-pad

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Krejlooc
128-bit

Neither Nintendo nor Gumpei Yokoi invented the d-pad

Post by Krejlooc »

I see this brought up a lot and I'd just like to clear the record: Nintendo and Gumpei Yokoi did not invent the d-pad, for multiple reasons.

Of the first, most literal reasons, Gumpei Yokoi was merely the head of the department behind the game & watch series, not individual games. The Donkey Kong game & watch which did feature the d-pad was attributed to Ichiro Shira, a hardware engineer at Nintendo. He did this in 1982, not Gumpei Yokoi.

However, that alone is not what I meant by the title. Rather, Nintendo's patent for the D-pad came in 1987, after being filed in 1985. It is a patent for their d-pad which was seen in 1982's Donkey Kong game & Watch. But well before this, TIGER ELECTRONICS had created and even PATENTED the D-pad!

In 1979, an engineer at Tiger Electronics named William F. Palisek created the first, modern D-pad. By modern D-pad, I mean a d-pad meant to rock under one's thumb on a central pivot, so only one of any two opposing directions can be pushed at the same time. Prior to this, buttons in a diamond cluster exited elsewhere, but you could press, say, up and down together. A modern d-pad pivots, preventing this from happening. This D-pad by Palisek was put into use in 1980 in the game Playmaker by Tiger Electronic, which is the first game to use a D-pad:
384px-Tiger_Electronics_-_Playmaker.jpg
384px-Tiger_Electronics_-_Playmaker.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 148 times
In 1981, Palisek got a patent for his D-pad: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4256931A/en
patent_pic.png
patent_pic.png (125.88 KiB) Viewed 148 times
How did I find all this out? By reading Nintendo's patent for their D-pad! Their own patent references Palisek multiple times as an example of prior art for the d-pad!
patent.png
patent.png (99.97 KiB) Viewed 148 times
That's one of many examples of him being referenced in the patent, here on the very first page!

Just an FYI, hopefully going forward this "common knowledge" will be corrected and Tiger Electronic's role in gaming history along with William F Palisek will be championed as they should be.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Re: Neither Nintendo nor Gumpei Yokoi invented the d-pad

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

Now this is a find!!
marurun

Re: Neither Nintendo nor Gumpei Yokoi invented the d-pad

Post by marurun »

This is pretty cool. I think perhaps a better way to credit the designers at Nintendo under Yokoi would be to say that Yokoi's team invented the modern d-pad. They certainly created the one that inspired so many others via the Famicom controller. But Nintendo definitely didn't originate the core idea.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.