The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, a lot of Dynasty I can't really call. I hope Thunder Rosa wins the title off Toni. I could see Mariah costing her the title. Their feud doesn't need the belt. Or is it too soon? I haven't really been paying attention to Toni and Mariah much lately.

The stuff involving Mercedes, Willow, Stat and Julia etc is interesting. I do wonder why Mercedes isn't wrestling until Double or Nothing. Was she not cleared from her injury? Did they accelerate ber debut because, I don't know? Still, I actually like the story they are telling.

Also, Willow was recently complaining about how Mercedes getting a title shot when she hasn't wrestled a single match (what happened to rankings?) and I can't help wondering if that's part of the story they are telling.

And could we see Britt Baker and Jamie Hayter returning soon, I wonder?

MJF might be back soon as well. Cole is still out injured though and supposedly won't be back soon. Speaking of that, they really bungled the Undisputed Kingdom. They just look like a bunch of dorks. They should have been booked as a legitimate dominant heel faction. Guess it doesn't help Cole and MJF being out though.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:06 am Yeah, a lot of Dynasty I can't really call. I hope Thunder Rosa wins the title off Toni. I could see Mariah costing her the title. Their feud doesn't need the belt. Or is it too soon? I haven't really been paying attention to Toni and Mariah much lately.

The stuff involving Mercedes, Willow, Stat and Julia etc is interesting. I do wonder why Mercedes isn't wrestling until Double or Nothing. Was she not cleared from her injury? Did they accelerate ber debut because, I don't know? Still, I actually like the story they are telling.

Also, Willow was recently complaining about how Mercedes getting a title shot when she hasn't wrestled a single match (what happened to rankings?) and I can't help wondering if that's part of the story they are telling.

And could we see Britt Baker and Jamie Hayter returning soon, I wonder?

MJF might be back soon as well. Cole is still out injured though and supposedly won't be back soon. Speaking of that, they really bungled the Undisputed Kingdom. They just look like a bunch of dorks. They should have been booked as a legitimate dominant heel faction. Guess it doesn't help Cole and MJF being out though.
This is the problem with a lot of the talent on AEW's roster, they just look like dorks...like Timeless Toni Storm. Even Willow is not immune to this. She had a promo last night involving Kris Statlander and Stokely Hathaway...and it was just silly. Instead of being serious, they were playing silly games involving word puns.

AEW right now lacks the ability to tell a serious story line with real drama. The only time in recent memory that I'd say they've managed to do this was the Samoa Joe/Swerve/Hangman story leading in to Revolution

If I think of stuff I have watched lately, like Dune Part 2, or shows I've recently started watching like Blue Eye Samurai and Shogun, there are moments with real drama. There are moments when shit gets real and things get serious. AEW just rarely accomplishes that, same with WWE right now to be fair. If you see Bryan Danielson's promo last night on Collision, that's what I want more of in both AEW and WWE. It was real and raw. Bryan treats wrestling like it's life or death shit. I love that. Too bad the guy just refuses to let AEW put a title on him. Oh well

I don't mind things being silly and light hearted some times, but it feels like there's too much of that in wrestling. Toni Storm is a perfect example. We should not have women's world title feuds revolving around a comedy gimmick. I had little interest in Thunder Rosa when she came back, but she cut a badass promo recently that got me into her again because it was a serious promo with real emotion. She is not treating that women's title like a game the way Toni Storm and Mariah May are. Neither is Deonna Purrazzo. I'd rather either one of them holding it right now than Toni Storm.

I want babyfaces who are serious about this pro wrestling shit. It's not a kid's game. I also want heels who are legitimately intimidating and scary. One of the my favorite heels of all time was "Hall of Pain" Mark Henry back around...2011 I think? He was a badass. He was scary. He was a bully, and he didn't give a fuck about anything other than getting what he wanted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... avyweight/

Anyway, some other random thoughts:

Here's how all wrestling couples should solve their issues LOL:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AEWFanHub/comm ... spreay_as/

It sounds like TNA had a good PPV last night, with some former AEW talent debuting like Matt Hardy. Jesus, people are leaving AEW for TNA. Plus, some people are CHOOSING it over AEW, like Nic Nemeth

Interesting venue for a wrestling show, I love this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... ge_in_the/

Supposedly, Action Wrestling had the best show of Wrestlemania weekend with their ACTION DEAN show. I might have to check it out

I feel bad for Yuka Sakazaki. I was looking forward to her match with Emi Sakura on Rampage, but there was some kind of botch and it looked like she really fucked up her leg or knee. The match was very awkward and uncomfortable from that point on. Kudos to her for gutting it out and finishing the match, kudos to Emi Sakura for her antics outside the ring stalling the match as Yuki seemed to be trying to walk it off, and kudos to the people in the crowd who were cheering Yuka on.

Freddie Prince Jr. said he wants his wrestling promotion to be like Lucha Underground

SGW Uganda is getting some people's attention in the pro wrestling industry, I don't have an opinion on it other than that it's interesting to see pro wrestling in different parts of the world with different types of audiences:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... match_sgw/

I love when babyface Natsupoi uses heel tactics than acts all sweet and innocent when the ref catches her. It's hilarious. She's so adorable I would let her get away with it every single time

https://www.reddit.com/r/stardomjoshi/c ... n_tactics/

Lot of people pissed WWE released XIa Li. I liked her
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Stardom seems to be streaming a live show on youtube right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLkdWnb1eIs

Last show before what I believe to be their biggest show of the year, Allstar Queendom

EDIT: I think they're uploading the show in parts maybe? Anyway, the link features a great match with top stars like Saya Kamitani, Tam Nakano, AZM, and a good chunk of the Cosmic Angels (only Saori Anou and Natsupoi are missing)
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

AEW definitely lacks drama at the moment. They also struggle to build really intense feuds. Swerve, Hangman and Joe was great. I hope they can maintain that within the world title picture. Hangman, in theory, could return at any point. No one seems to know how long he is out for and I honestly wouldn't complain if he continues his feud with Swerve.

But yeah, a lot of the time, their feuds and storylines just lack something... That drama and realism I guess. And legitimate, scary heels too. MJF was a great heel, but he wasn't an intimidating scary heel. 2000 era Triple H was the GOAT imo. He also pulled off the goofy tweener stuff (mid 2000, during the love triangle story with Kurt, but he could also pull off proper badass heel when he wanted to, like in his feud against Mick Foley and later the Rock.

Matt Hardy showing up in TNA was shocking. It's kinda cool, but also a bit goofy. I don't know, I like TNA, but treating Matt Hardy like a big deal in 2024 and having them as a big reveal at the end of your PPV, with them taking out your world champion is just... meh. Still, he has a big history with TNA and they are thee birth place of Broken Matt Hardy, so I will give them a pass.

Anyways, it was just an appearance. He hasn't signed with TNA and I don't expect him too. It is painfully obvious (imo) he is waiting for Jeff's contract to end and for them to both be snapped up by WWE, even if it's just for a HOF induction and some kind of legends deal. Maybe they'll give them a retirement send off with one last match, I don't know.

The Hardys lack self awareness. They complained about their booking in WWE and then went to AEW, where they seemed to praise their booking, only for them to end up bitching again. They don't seem to understand that it was Jeff fucking up again that caused Tony to rightfully park them and leave them to do random matches on Rampage. That and I am sorry, but they're done in the ring. If Jeff hadn't screwed up for the 50 billionth time then the chances are they would have continued on the trajectory they were on.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:06 pm AEW definitely lacks drama at the moment. They also struggle to build really intense feuds. Swerve, Hangman and Joe was great. I hope they can maintain that within the world title picture. Hangman, in theory, could return at any point. No one seems to know how long he is out for and I honestly wouldn't complain if he continues his feud with Swerve.

But yeah, a lot of the time, their feuds and storylines just lack something... That drama and realism I guess. And legitimate, scary heels too. MJF was a great heel, but he wasn't an intimidating scary heel. 2000 era Triple H was the GOAT imo. He also pulled off the goofy tweener stuff (mid 2000, during the love triangle story with Kurt, but he could also pull off proper badass heel when he wanted to, like in his feud against Mick Foley and later the Rock.

Matt Hardy showing up in TNA was shocking. It's kinda cool, but also a bit goofy. I don't know, I like TNA, but treating Matt Hardy like a big deal in 2024 and having them as a big reveal at the end of your PPV, with them taking out your world champion is just... meh. Still, he has a big history with TNA and they are thee birth place of Broken Matt Hardy, so I will give them a pass.

Anyways, it was just an appearance. He hasn't signed with TNA and I don't expect him too. It is painfully obvious (imo) he is waiting for Jeff's contract to end and for them to both be snapped up by WWE, even if it's just for a HOF induction and some kind of legends deal. Maybe they'll give them a retirement send off with one last match, I don't know.

The Hardys lack self awareness. They complained about their booking in WWE and then went to AEW, where they seemed to praise their booking, only for them to end up bitching again. They don't seem to understand that it was Jeff fucking up again that caused Tony to rightfully park them and leave them to do random matches on Rampage. That and I am sorry, but they're done in the ring. If Jeff hadn't screwed up for the 50 billionth time then the chances are they would have continued on the trajectory they were on.
I was happy when they came to AEW, but it's definitely run its course. Matt Hardy was fun in that Stadium Stampede match he was in. I think Matt is still pissed at Sammy Guevarra so they are definitely not sticking around in AEW. You kind of don't need a Jeff Hardy when you have a Darby Allin. I have to say this though, I saw a great match between the Hardies and The Young Bucks once, but this was way before I think AEW even existed. Like I've said before, the Bucks have faced EVERYBODY. That's why they are one of the greatest of all time.

That match in the youtube link I provided from Stardom is pretty good. They have a girl in that match who hits a spear better than a lot of men in pro wrestling do and the match has a nice exchange between Tam and Saya Kamitani too. Saya could be big in the states I think if she ever wanted to pursue a career here, that's true of a lot of Stardom talent though

Marigold is officially up and running, and we're seeing some of their roster now. I wonder how much involvement they'll get from WWE

https://www.reddit.com/r/stardomjoshi/c ... oto_nanae/

Giulia's living in two worlds now

I've seen some people, including Kenny Omega, complaining about Rossy hiring underaged girls. There's been a lot of hate towards him for this on reddit. Is it not common for people to start sports at a young age? It is in America. Didn't they praise AZM on commentary in AEW and ROH for wrestling since she was 11 years old? Didn't fucking Kenny Omega himself famously wrestle a kid once? People are weird.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Show is a mixed bag so far. Okada/Pac was great. Jericho/Hook stunk up the place even though there were a few cool spots in the match. Toni Storm is...meh. Eddie Kingston had a Joe Biden moment in his match. Kyle and Roderick was pretty good, but who honestly cares about those two? Willow and Julia were having a good match, but it ended way too soon.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ospreay/Bryan was amazing! I hope Bryan isn't injured for real.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I saw a Cody Sucks Megathread on a wrestling forum because the mods were sick and tired of people making threads about how awful Cody is

People are turning on Cody pretty quick. I read something about people bashing him on instagram too since he became the champion. People were commenting on how stale his act already feels and how he has no personality. Sounds like even casuals and WWE marks are turning on him

Anyway, a fairly noteworthy AEW pay per view

So I guess Okada and Jack Perry have replaced Hangman and Omega in The Elite. In an alternate universe where AEW never signed Okada, Jay White joining The Elite and becoming their leader could have been fun. I like this though, don't get me wrong.

There was a back and forth exchange during Bryan and Ospreay's match where I think Bryan was moving faster than I've ever seen. That was very cool. I also love the Wild West style duel where they were on opposite corners staring at each other, getting ready to run towards each other and see who would be faster on the draw.

I missed some of Okada/Pac's match, but what I saw was pretty great and the crowd loved it. When it was over i immediately thought, "Okay Bryan/Ospreay, now it's your job to top that" and they totally did. Ospreay's match with Bryan was fucking incredible. Ospreay has totally eclipsed Punk as a great AEW signing. Yeah, I'm throwing that out there. If I had to rank great AEW signings now, both Bryan and Ospreay would be above Punk.

I really liked the ladder match. I've seen better ones but it was fun. The main event was solid, though not on par with the awesome triple threat from Revolution

I have to say, it's funny that Mercedes hasn't wrestled a single match yet while Okada and Ospreay have had multiple matches. Meanwhile, Becky Lynch was talking about what Mercedes is getting paid a few weeks ago and talked about how more women need to start getting equal pay to male athletes. I just find that kind of ironic given how little actual work Mercedes has done so far while Okada is earning his money.

EDIT: Black Panther sucks, but I'll give Swerve a pass on that

EDIT2: That please be careful chant during the ladder match LOL. You rarely hear funny stuff like that from braindead WWE crowds. Also, this is awesome:

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:27 pm I have to say this though, I saw a great match between the Hardies and The Young Bucks once, but this was way before I think AEW even existed
Was that was in ROH? I think I saw that match years ago, if I remember right.
Raging Justice wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:29 pm Ospreay/Bryan was amazing! I hope Bryan isn't injured for real.
Show was overall pretty great. Was that injury legit? I haven't even logged onto social media yet, but that was seriously pretty messed up. I HATE injury angles. I hope it is an angle, but yeesh. If it's legit, I hope it's not serious.

The rumour going round is Bryan is retiring at Wrestledream later this year.

Other than the possible injury at the end, that match was AWESOME! It had me on the edge of my seat. Particularly during that segment where they were going back and forth on the ropes, dodging eachother and you couldn't tell who was going to make the contact.

Jack Perry is back! Interesting. Very predictable and I said that was why they were airing the footage (although they should have just alluded to it, instead of showing it), but cool nonetheless.

Swerve is our champ! I seriously thought Joe was going to get the win when he was choking him out. Glad they went with Swerve.

Edit: Wow just logging onto social media and people HATED the Jericho and Hook match. Is it just because Jericho won? Or because people are sick of Jericho on general? I thought the match was fine (as in 'just fine', not good, but I didn't hate it). I was 50-50 on who would win and thought ultimately they would go with Hook, but the back of my mind told me that they let Hook get the first win so Jericho could beat him in the rematch. Jericho wants to win every title known to man, so I could also see him winning the FTW title. It's like when he won the ROH title haha.

Oh well.

I just remembered I completely didn't mention the Okada Pac match. Yeah, that was awesome. Ospreay and Danielson made me forget everything else though. I still can't stop thinking about it.

Oh Kingston looked like a moron. His offence is so fucking weak. Please make it stop. Can't he go back to ROH? Although don't do that either, because I have actually been watching bits and pieces of ROH lately.

Please give us Copeland vs Malakai at Double or Nothing. I want to see that.

Where's Christian gone? Has he not been on TV since Copeland beat him for the title?