Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Post by Limewater »

Arino plays the Super Famicom version of Prince of Persion over two episodes of Game Center CX.

I probably wouldn't watch them if you're actively playing the game now, but they're really fun to watch.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

I've never participated in a gaming challenge before, as I've typically found it just adds stress to what's allegedly my relaxing hobby ("allegedly"), but I was already thinking I wanted to get through some more retro games this summer. So hopefully this will be more of a fun nudge. Anyway, here's my tentative list (I reserve the right to change these at a future date. You're not my Dad!):

VICE: Project Doom
This is one of my top five NES games, and one that I recommend regularly to folks, but I've shamefully never beaten it. I've gotten to the end plenty of times, but something always comes up to disrupt that final push. It's gonna happen this summer, though ;)

Kickmaster
Another NES game that I have an abiding affection for but that I've never actually finished. It's also potentially the game that I spent the most money to acquire after having missed out on grabbing it for a song years ago. I want to at least feel like that money was worth it :P

Air Zonk
One of my favorite TG-16 games and one I've spent tons of time with, but sadly never completed (you may be noticing a trend with my list...). I'm determined to correct that!

The New Addams Family Series
This GBC game is something of a spiritual sequel to The Fish Files that I just played through a few months back. I really enjoyed my time with Fish Files and I like the Addams Family, so this one was going to be on my list even without the challenge.

Lords of Thunder
As is the obvious trend, this is another one I love to play that I've just never finished. Honestly, I've always found it something of a difficult game, but I've heard it's actually not that bad if you go in with the right load-out. I'm hoping a preemptive skim of an FAQ will help make this a relatively quick, smooth play-through.

Kill.Switch
I've been scooping up a lot of Xbox and 360 games lately because they're so cheap, and this is one that always shows up on hidden gems lists (in fact I think I originally learned about it on this site). It's supposed to be a very no-frills, but very competently made shooter, which sounds just like what I'm in the mood for.

I'll probably add some more games, but this is what I've got for right now. I'd particularly like to have some retro jRPGs, but I haven't made up my mind as to which ones just yet.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

ZRofel wrote:I've never participated in a gaming challenge before, as I've typically found it just adds stress to what's allegedly my relaxing hobby ("allegedly"), but I was already thinking I wanted to get through some more retro games this summer. So hopefully this will be more of a fun nudge. Anyway, here's my tentative list (I reserve the right to change these at a future date. You're not my Dad!):

First of all, your post made me laugh. Thanks ZRofel. :lol:

So happy to have you for the challenge! I used to think this setup would be super stressful too, but then I got swept up in everyone's enthusiasm and memories and realized that no one is actually staring at anyone at this school dance. No one's judging each other's moves. We're all just happy to be in the gymnasium/cafeteria together, being goofs. :mrgreen:

And what a list! I hope you're able to see VICE: Project Doom through particularly, since that one is super nostalgic and important to you. It'll feel so good to finally experience the whole game, that last 2% or so that you've never put your own eyeballs on. Please reminisce over your old memories with it when you post updates!

And I think I've watched someone play Air Zonk and it was totally bananas. Good luck with this and all the others! Can't wait to creep on your progress.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

Key-Glyph wrote:
ZRofel wrote:I've never participated in a gaming challenge before, as I've typically found it just adds stress to what's allegedly my relaxing hobby ("allegedly"), but I was already thinking I wanted to get through some more retro games this summer. So hopefully this will be more of a fun nudge. Anyway, here's my tentative list (I reserve the right to change these at a future date. You're not my Dad!):

First of all, your post made me laugh. Thanks ZRofel. :lol:

So happy to have you for the challenge! I used to think this setup would be super stressful too, but then I got swept up in everyone's enthusiasm and memories and realized that no one is actually staring at anyone at this school dance. No one's judging each other's moves. We're all just happy to be in the gymnasium/cafeteria together, being goofs. :mrgreen:

And what a list! I hope you're able to see VICE: Project Doom through particularly, since that one is super nostalgic and important to you. It'll feel so good to finally experience the whole game, that last 2% or so that you've never put your own eyeballs on. Please reminisce over your old memories with it when you post updates!

And I think I've watched someone play Air Zonk and it was totally bananas. Good luck with this and all the others! Can't wait to creep on your progress.

Glad to hear it. I try to add a little levity to things :)

VICE: Project Doom is such a good NES game, and like I said, I genuinely do not know how I haven't ever completed it yet. I remember one time I got to the final boss and just could not finish him off. It was really late and I finally just gave up out of exhaustion. Another time I was playing as part of a gaming marathon I did for a story for a website I used to write for. The whole day had been something of a disaster, and I started playing VICE: Project Doom to psych myself back up. It worked, and I had an amazing run through the game. I think I was something like two or three levels away from the final boss when my girlfriend at the time asked if I could help her administer the cat's ear medicine. I said sure and paused the game, but as I was standing up I pulled on the controller cord a little bit. I was playing on a kind of janky FC Twin, and that was enough to just completely crash the game. That obviously ended my run through VICE, but it also ended my marathon, as I just did not have enough emotional energy to keep going. The cat did get its ear medicine, though.

I've got next week off, so that's when I'm planning on trying to plow through some of these games. I did play a little bit of Kill.Switch the other day, though. It is very, very bare-bones from a narrative angle and very, very focused on game mechanics. I'm not sure I really enjoyed myself, but I think I need to give it more time.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Ok, so I have not beat a new game but I thought I finished Final Fantasy Legend.
I beat the dude at the top of the tower and then fell back to the bottom. It looks like I have to climb it again and beat the real boss. For those who have played this - do you have any tips for the final climb? I have two mutants and two humans, one male, and one female of each. The limited inventory drives me nuts and I currently have a Door x3, Hyper x3, Revive x1, XCLBR x48, and GLASS x47 filling up five slots, so what else should I take with me for this final climb (I like to use ELECTRIC to climb the tower)?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The final climb is not going through the same parts of the tower; you get to open an alternate path that is much faster. So I wouldn't stress too hard about your inventory space.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Ok. So I did not have money to buy stuff when I restarted the tower. So I think I'm going to climb until I'm out of weapons then use a door to go back and buy stuff. I have three doors, so I can do this multiple times. Will this grind be a waste of time?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I mean, you need to get through it, so not sure how it would be a waste of time.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

1. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
2. Terranigma (SNES)
3. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GC)
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (GC)
5. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
6. Jumping Flash! (PS1)
7. Dark Cloud (PS2)
8. Sly Raccoon (PS2)

9. Sakura Wars (Saturn)
10. Samba De Amigo (DC)

It's been a busy week or so, but tonight I finally sat down and did the Extra (read: 'hard') mode of Jumping Flash. I actually breezed through it, only dying once to an early misjudged jump as I eased back into the controls after not playing for a while. Jumping Flash really is great, I must pick up the sequel sometime.

Having finished up all of the Sony console titles on my summer list (as well as officially hitting the half-way mark!) I decided I'd jump into one of the comparatively longer games on my list with Terranigma.

Wow, what a great first impression this game makes! - it looks and sounds great, and it gives the impression that the dev had big ideas they wanted to realise with the game. I'm not sure if the SNES-era translation will fully realise them in the long run, but I'm all on board so far. I unleashed some kind of bat thing from a cursed box which links to the surface world (which just seems to be Earth?) and accidentally froze all the villagers in my hometown. Now I'm exploring the underworld (with really cool use of mode 7!) to find 5 towers and unfreeze them. However, this seems to be having the side effect of regenerating the continents of the world on the surface? So far I have unfrozen about 12 villagers but I have also recreated the landmasses of Eurasia, South America and Africa? Keen to see where this game is going with this.

Gameplay wise, it's fairly simple so far - a few puzzles, some combat that feels similar to combat in the predecessor game (Illusion of Gaia). Its fun enough so far!

Hoping everyone is still keen to jump into their challenge lists. Historically people tend to start dropping out around the end of June - let's see if we can keep this momentum going!
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...I finished Shinobi III a few weeks back and it was for the most part just as awesome as I remember it being. The game just delivers and is easily one of the best action games of the 16-bit era regardless of platform. I played the game using the hidden 6-botton mode and imo that was a game changer, everything just clicked. I especially enjoyed the melee attack and block having dedicated buttons assigned. The action is intense, the regular enemies aren't much to write home about but the bosses for the most part are great. Honestly, there's only one area I think the game falls down at...the final level is flat out punishing if your platforming isn't on point. After getting through that though, the final boss is sort of uninspired...nowhere near as cool as the final boss in Revenge of Shinobi and w/o the stakes or various endings either. As a matter of fact, if you've done well throughout the previous stages you'll be stocked w/lives and can just spam the Mijin ninjitsu and wrap things up pretty quickly. Other than that very small, ummm issue, Shinobi III should have a place in the collection of anyone who enjoys top tier action games. Well onto Midnight Resistance.
Last edited by Syndicate on Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.