Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by Ziggy »

I am getting really sick of digital-only games getting physical releases down the line. I VERY much prefer to own physical copies of games over digital, but I'll happily purchase a digital copy of a game if there are no other options. I can understand an indie game not wanting to commit to something financially. So to promise a physical release might be a mistake if the game doesn't sell well. Then people get upset if it never happens. I get that. So if there's no indication of a physical release ever happening, I'll purchase a digital copy of a game. Then 6-12 months down the line a physical version gets released and I either have to purchase the game AGAIN or be stuck with a digital copy I wish I never purchased.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy587 wrote:I am getting really sick of digital-only games getting physical releases down the line. I VERY much prefer to own physical copies of games over digital, but I'll happily purchase a digital copy of a game if there are no other options. I can understand an indie game not wanting to commit to something financially. So to promise a physical release might be a mistake if the game doesn't sell well. Then people get upset if it never happens. I get that. So if there's no indication of a physical release ever happening, I'll purchase a digital copy of a game. Then 6-12 months down the line a physical version gets released and I either have to purchase the game AGAIN or be stuck with a digital copy I wish I never purchased.

honestly, man - when it comes to Switch I learned the lesson early on. The first digital game I bought was Sonic Mania. A year later it was out physically. And since then it seems like any digital game that does fairly well gets an eventual physical release. And in all honesty, even stuff that isn't super successful but has some kind of cult following still seems to get a release thru LRG or Super Rare or one of these many other similar boutique publishers. So now I just try to be patient. There's a few I'm still waiting on. Wargroove is one, and the developer has already said they WANT to do a physical release. I'd like to see FFXV: Pocket Edition get a physical release, but Square has been really weirdly inconsistent with which games do and don't. Really the stuff I get digitally on Switch are F2P games. And it seems like the Arcade Archives stuff will remain digital.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Same here with Sonic Mania. I think I've learned my lesson now with Curse of the Moon.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

noiseredux wrote:no bot needed. These are preorders, open for a set period of time. It's not limited to X number of copies.

Well I don't know if that's the case for the Collector's Edition, for the normal one it probably is, as I mentioned before they don't seem to limit their normal releases anymore, probably because the 'limited' editions are a bigger racket, since big AAA publishers capitalize on that also.

But last time I looked up on one of their Limited Editions, it was the Yooka-Laylee one I think, and though I caught it on time (chose not to buy it) I think it went out of stock well within 24 hours, and then they opened pre-orders for it again and I think that went over faster.

There's no reason for these games to be artificially limited, they will still be Limited Editions since a comparatively limited portion of the audience will opt to pre-order them over the normal version. And if they didn't charge in full in advance (often at least a month before the game ships) I wouldn't mind, since they have to guarantee a sale, as not to be left with leftover stock. But when they both limit the quantities AND charge in advance, that's too much.

I don't know if they changed things since, on the 15th if I remember or feel like it, I'll take a look for this game in particular.

But yeah, I already buy very few games digitally, but I think from now on a 5 year wait between original release and acquisition will save me a lot of headache, and is not like I don't have a ton of retro games, some of which time pretty much forgot, to play anyway, and they are better games 90% of the time also.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Seems like the "big name" indie titles are guaranteed physical releases eventually. It was no surprise to see something like Celeste get one.

Now, I generally prefer physical over digital. But I will choose digital over Limited Run. I have zero interest in this forced scarcity "collector's item" scene. Let the game collectors and eBay flippers have at it.

Ideally, a smaller publisher like Nicalis would be handling this stuff. That would be rad.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote: I have zero interest in this forced scarcity "collector's item" scene.

But I mean, they've been doing most Switch releases as a 2-week or whatever preorder with no limit. Basically, they'll print as many as people want to order. Plus, lots of em are getting stocked at Best Buy too. It's a lot less forced scarcity than it used to be. Now, they just don't want to print way more than will sell.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It's ultimately just "not the way I buy games" I suppose. I like perusing the inventories of game shops, looking for things that are older and deeply discounted. The "buy it now or don't get it at all" thing is a mega turn-off. Different strokes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:It's ultimately just "not the way I buy games" I suppose. I like perusing the inventories of game shops, looking for things that are older and deeply discounted. The "buy it now or don't get it at all" thing is a mega turn-off. Different strokes.

I get it. Though having their games in Best Buy def works in your favor for potentially finding older discounted stock.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

I started buying physical again to save money after a long period of digital only. Besides sometimes getting better prices on physical there's also the sale or trade in value after I'm done since I'm not much of a collector anymore. Unless I plan on playing again soon I'll just flip it.

I love the Switch so much more than my PS4 and probably even more than my PC. It's just what I've wanted from consoles for ages. Going to take it with me when I visit my gf down south this weekend. Useful on both the plane rides and also as something to do together when we're not out and about. Sure, I'd love if it were more powerful, but I like the trade off. I've even started multi platform releases on the Switch as priority rather than prioritizing PC > PS4 > Switch.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

If (or, more likely, when) I get a Switch, I may go digital-only for everything but the biggest releases and, then, only because I don’t want to fill up my storage with gigantic games. I have enjoyed (and still enjoy) collecting games for older systems, but the thought of starting a new collection of physical games, and especially a new collection for a system with “Limited Run” games, makes me feel exhausted.

My collection originated out of me: (1) wanting to have a lot of games; and (2) not wanting to spend much money on them. For a very, very long while, buying used physical games was the way to accomplish this. (Why spend $40 for a digital copy of a game I’ll probably never play when I can get a used physical copy from GameStop for $3?) I don’t think it’s that way anymore. Most of the new games I want to play are indie games - Ape Out looks awesome! - and first-party Nintendo games. It’s probably more economical to buy the former in digital form and the latter in (used) physical form.