GoG - Jill of the Jungle Trilogy

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: GoG - Jill of the Jungle Trilogy

Post by emwearz »

I use to have the first one on our home PC but the library had the full three. Gave it a go for about 15 minutes, amazing in its day, but very hard to get into today, the choppyness and the jumping is a bit steep to get back into.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

IDK when I'll get around to playing these, but I just "bought" them so I'll have access in the future.
I never played these games but used to be pretty hardcore into DOS gaming and these would sometimes come up for being notable.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Castle of the Winds & Ken's Labyrinth were both released as freeware many years ago:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110717071 ... om/~ricks/ - CotW author's page (archived)
http://www.icculus.org/LAB3D/ - Ken's Labyrinth ported to windows + HD Textures

I also wish GOG'd get Solar Winds. I love that game.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, I'm aware of the freeware status of CotW and Ken's Labyrinth. But I would love to have them tied to my GOG account for easy access and for the additional bonus contents that might be included.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I downloaded Jill of the Jungle from an abandonware site and messed with it for a bit. I meant to come back to it, and these freebies are just what I need to do so.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:How did people play this shit back in the day? Keyboard controls are miserable and those old PC joysticks weren't exactly pleasing either.

That's what these are for. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:all the stuff I used to play on my old Epic Mega Games demo disc

I won't be happy until Solar Winds is on GOG.

Yay another vote for that excellent game. There were few like that one back in the day but I think Star Control 2 arriving crushed it's uniqueness value and buried it to time.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Played around with these games for a bit. I figured they'd be straight platformers but they're really more like Metroidvanias it seems.

Gotta configure the controls to get this working well with my gamepad. How did people play this shit back in the day? Keyboard controls are miserable and those old PC joysticks weren't exactly pleasing either.

Good stuff. This brightens my day; GOG.com is currently having a sale but literally nothing on my wishlist is discounted.

I used the original LPT port SNES with no top triggers looking Gravis Gamepad and it ran great with that. Earlier this year I found that same pad, pro version on USB so it's that with PS1 top triggers so it should be perfect for it. And I felt the same on the sale other than Yooka Laylee and it's not even at the highest cut they've run so I really don't care.

Wow nice one, keyboard joystick, that would have been useful for a little time. And I remember Ken's Labyrinth being fun but also that weird Kevtris game too which was solid as a knockoff of Tetris.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ack wrote:Now of they can get Castle of the Winds, Dare 2 Dream, and Ken's Labyrinth, I'll have all the stuff I used to play on my old Epic Mega Games demo disc. Glad to see Jill hasn't been forgotten.

Speaking of Epic, still hoping to get One Must Fall 2097 on my GOG shelf one of these days.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, man, I remember Solar Winds. Good stuff, that.

Anyway, I used several different pads over the years, but for a long time used a Gravis Gamepad Pro.

I also had one of these that worked pretty well; it had software where you could remap buttons and program macros.

https://www.amazon.com/3D-Program-Pad-Pc/dp/B001LQW5VE

I had another programmable one, but I don't remember the brand name. I also had the six-button pad that came with Super Street Fighter II.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The gravis gamepad was the intended way to play stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit and it worked decently. The original one that looked like a SNES controller gone wrong.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Dude yeah that's the one right there I said that stick to the LPT port. I have this nice adapter I picked up free somewhere I think came with an MS joystick that converts LPT to USB so it they work. It would be a hoot finding one of those old pads.

This is not the right color, it's the rare to find translucent blue, but the same pad/model number otherwise.

Can't recommend it enough if you're not in desperate need of an analog stick. Best controller to play non-joystick type games, and even enough of those from the DOS era still handle great with it. I've been trying to sell the gray one off, not a lot of luck though as it's so random. The blue one I have still has the original screw in joystick in great shape too.