Switch Discussion Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Switch Discussion Thread

Post by noiseredux »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've got Mario Kart 8 on its way thanks to a really good deal I scored (got it for under $40, new).

Is Hyrule Warriors gameplay anything like Diablo III? My wife loved D3. But it's hard for me to gauge her interest in this. On the flip, I'm guessing she'd like Snipperclips way more than I would. I don't know, just doesn't really appeal to me. Overcooked is something I always hear good things about. Though, I also have heard that it is one of those games that makes co-opers bicker. I'm not sure it's the sort of relaxing experience we're looking for. Lovers In A Dangerous Space I'll have to look up. It's another one I always hear good things about, but I honestly have no idea what kind of game it even is.

ANYWAY

Did you guys see that Ninty has printable artwork for the Splatoon 2 expansion?

I'm more and more curious about Splatoon 2 now that I see that it'll continue to be supported a la Overwatch. Though I do far prefer the different heroes/MOBA thing in Overwatch and I'm not really a fan of third person shooting for competitive games. (I hate Fortnite... come at me).

Oh, and they also have EIGHT different printable covers for Octopath:

Both cost a little bit of Nintendo rewards coins or whatever, but I have a bunch that I don't remember how I got.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:Is Hyrule Warriors gameplay anything like Diablo III? My wife loved D3. But it's hard for me to gauge her interest in this.

Not especially. Those style games tend to place a focus on moving around the battlefield to defeat certain foes or defend particular points in a timely fashion. So while you do kinda-sorta have the mass-slaughter kind of thing that Diablo tends to have with fodder mobs, the flow of the game is different.

While also not quite the same, if that sort of thing is interesting, maybe look into the Code of Princess port coming at the end of the month. Basically a mission-based beat-em-up with RPG elements (it's by the creators of Guardian Heroes), and the Switch version has local co-op. I've only played the 3DS version, which suffered from that underpowered hardware in a major way later on. I assume the later PC port isn't as bad. Switch version seems to have more effort put into remastering it a bit.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Nintendo dishes out coins on Switch anytime you buy something, though physical you have to click a button in the menu system for the game when it's in the slot.

Hyrule Warriors is not like Diablo III at all. Diablo 3 has a story, multiple classes, a lot of abilities to earn and setup for different tasks, a vast world and lots of hidden stuff to do or find on that long story. HW is like a 3D version of a game like final fight/streets of rage where you have a limited space and just pound the crap out of stuff into submission, but unlike those you need to use tactics and manage multiple leaders who command an army to do your bidding instead of your own two fists. Just youtube it directly or an earlier warriors game like Samurai Warriors on 3DS and watch a 10min clip of a stage somewhere in the middle of the game to get a real taste.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Tanooki wrote:though physical you have to click a button in the menu system for the game when it's in the slot.

huh? Really? I've never noticed this. Where is this button?
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Been having a lot of fun with Splatoon 2 lately. On a long train ride from CT to NYC this past weekend the local multiplayer was very useful. 3 of us played for most of the train ride.

Unsure about whether I want to try out Octopath Traveler or not. I've caught a bit of the game on a few streams. It doesn't look particularly great to me, but I've been wrong before.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ZenErik wrote:Unsure about whether I want to try out Octopath Traveler or not. I've caught a bit of the game on a few streams. It doesn't look particularly great to me, but I've been wrong before.

It's really really great, man.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

noiseredux wrote:
It's really really great, man.

Well. I'm currently working on Trails of Cold Steel 2 so at the very least it wouldn't be til after that. Also trying to get back into/more into rhythm games. The Switch actually has a decent rhythm game selection. Hope it keeps on expanding.

Groove Coaster just came to Steam and was mobile/arcade before that. I think that game would make a great addition to the Switch library. The game works well with both touch and controller inputs.

Edit: So would Future Tone, but Project DIVA has always been exclusive to Sony. Being able to use the Switch touch screen for the slide bar inputs would be awesome.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah impressed with how many quirky rhythm games are already on Switch. I've only played Voez which I did enjoy.

Where's @Bogus at? He would like to know that I finally ordered a copy of Splatoon 2 because I think the expansion sounds promising. I figure that'll be another good summer vacation game. Something lighter and brighter than Octopath. I feel like I have a solid little pile of vacation games lined up now, haha.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

noiseredux wrote:
Tanooki wrote:though physical you have to click a button in the menu system for the game when it's in the slot.

huh? Really? I've never noticed this. Where is this button?

Check your menu on the bottom right where it has options, I think it's the + or - button probably +. You'll get choices and one is the rewards and has a 'game card' button you can touch/press a button into. It takes all of a second or two to scan the game is in the slot and never checked in before, and you get coins. Be aware you'll get hosed over being a true game owner, they only give you 20% of what downloads get.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Just found it. That's awesome. Had no idea it existed. Need to start redeeming my collection!