Do you miss "hunting" for retro games?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Do you miss "hunting" for retro games?

Post by Tanooki »

JoeAwesome wrote:Jag, the stuff I got around town was good, but it took miles, money and time. Worth it, but only if you don't value your time so much.

Nowadays -if- I go to the thrift stores or flea markets, I go with no expectations, other than to get walking exercise. Almost always, that's exactly what happens.

That's me all the way. I work from home so the walking I could be limited to for the day is crossing the house a few times and picking the kid up from school more or less. That's why a good bit so I put in time to the flea market outside winter every weekend, daily 1-2 goodwill hits on the way to picking my kid up, and other random drops to the half price books (not for games anymore but manga and movies mainly.) The abuses of it all is just so far out there now there's no value in not sitting on your ass and saving money doing ebay.

When one could 7 years ago go to a flea market or a 1-3 goodwill/thrifts in a day and always find something, get good value out of a simple $20 bill hell yes it was worth the time and a few bucks in gas. Now it's best to go for another reason, a big list of things you care about, or just to get outside and exercise a bit as you won't get it back in value that's for certain unless you value overpaying and losing further on lost time and gas money.

Today I had a sweet pick up on 3 PC Engine games and the value of one of the three in the bundle as a loose game was almost the price of the entire lot and they're complete. No lost time, no lost gas money, just good timing.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I like Joe's catch & release line.

Finding that sealed N64 Ken Griffy at GW was so random. It made my day, but I ultimately decided to sell it. Not as a cash grab but because I don't collect for the N64 & wanted someone to appreciate it. I've sold much of my "in the wild" finds as I slowly paired down the collection. I was never into the hunting for the flipping, but over time I'd sell items I spent time & effort "hunting." Stepping back now, I impulse bought a lot more in person. I never do that online. I think most people are the opposite? If I'm in a thrift these days I check around but I'm usually not buying.

One major plus of being in front of a disc
based game is checking for scratches. Nothing worse than buying a "CIB Very Good" game online with it arriving full of scratches :|. There is some added value there.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You want random. Having a little repair work done here, so the kid and wife stayed at grandmas house. The wife forgets her sleep clothes so I take them over, get a bite, then decide I went that way I'd hit half price.

What do I find on the shelf with todays date on the tag? Game Boy Micro Special 20th Anniversary system with the original AC adapter and it's more or less in perfect shape. And having been using their program, had 25% off -- got it for $75. :D My first GBM was one, second hand and shorted out. Wanted one since, and that's been probably a dozen years now. I'll have to find a nice see through case to put that one in, and to cover it I have no use for my boxed up GBM so that's outta here. :D

These rare moments are why I even bother popping in still when it's on the way to or from somewhere or I'd stop that too.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

$75 for a Micro? Hard pass. Get in while the getting's good, then get out. If you missed your chance, move on. Don't blow your wads (of cash) over overpriced stuff.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I remember when GameStop was selling the used Micros on clearance :roll:

My brick from Christmas 1989 is still working! :lol:

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Konacha
32-bit

Post by Konacha »

I am still finding some deals around me during the flea market seasons near where I live. Earlier last year I found a pink backlight Gameboy Advance SP, with a handful of games and case for 20 dollars. Though you won't typically find games every time, it is still a hunt I figure as it is the only place I can get good deals.

However, all I'm really finding Goodwill's with 10000 sport titles and PS3, Xbox or PS4 games. While I was able to get some good PS4 games as Goodwill (that would have cost me 10 dollars than 4) it just doesn't feel the same as finding at least a few NES games or Atari games every week. Typically I just save my gas money for a con or a retro game store since I know if I go there I will find something I want.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

JoeAwesome wrote:$75 for a Micro? Hard pass. Get in while the getting's good, then get out. If you missed your chance, move on. Don't blow your wads (of cash) over overpriced stuff.

The Famicom style micro with the shape it is in (basically spotless) on a standard ebay bin is worth $100-130 unless you hit some bad luck. I wanted it for me, not to flip so I'll take that deal. I don't care to keep the 2nd black boxed up micro I have so I'll just sell that to recoup it anyway.

Jago -- I have a 1989 complete in box brick too, in perfect shape and runs fantastic as well then I have another nearly as nice but with a little bit of lens wear I use as a player I keep in my desk for a nostalgia flashback. I keep all kinds of GB systems close to there. GBA SP Cobalt with a 101 screen in it, have a nearly perfect NES SP but it's in a box, have a perfect glacier gba at the desk, another equally clean GBC grape, and I've got a launch GB Pocket that's spotless but I've kept that in the case as it's complete. I didn't see a point in a players one of those with the GBC handy. Gameboy has been my primary thing of interest off and on but without a break for over 20 years ever since the N64 floundered.
Kyuss015

Post by Kyuss015 »

It used to be a lot cheaper . With a combination of life and increased prices , picking up some retro games isn’t something I do as much as say , 10 years ago . I still do collect and it is still fun . I was happy to get a lot of the stuff I wanted already before it got expensive , but there are some games i missed out on. Still , it’s a fun hobby and I still go out get some games when money permits