Old School D&D RPGs: Where to Start?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Old School D&D RPGs: Where to Start?

Post by Tanooki »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Tanooki wrote:Might just have to look into that bogus.

Those aren't gold box though, but maybe they have what that GBC enhancement does already so that would put it in that realm. I'm finally being serious about reducing my load of systems/games as I just photographed another setup last night. Going to keep chopping until I'm happy and happy means more time for stuff like this.

Absolutely! Why I love dark sun a lot is because it has the feel of the old gold box, but modern graphics, sped up and tons more emphasis on world exploration and side quests. I encourage everyone to give those games a shot. Lots of variety!

I can see that, and I edited that last post. I found all the gold box games and then the later stuff (even beyond Dark Sun) over at GoG in $10 package bundles. Could definitely be worth looking into something there. I like how that GBC package wraps around the GoG releases as that pop up info is exceptionally useful in their picture selection as it's like having those books and things in the day without having to flip to the pages (and as you said game is sped up.)
Ack

Post by Ack »

I say Eye of the Beholder on PC if you want straight dungeon crawls, Pool of Radiance if you want more tactical combat, or Dark Sun if you feel like playing something awesome. Once you hit up whichever of those you like, then look into the likes of Ravenloft or Dungeonhack.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Nemoide wrote:D&D: Warriors of the Eternal Sun for Sega Genesis is one that doesn't get enough love. It's not a PC game but it FEELS like a PC game.

I actually have played this one. When I first had a chance to play it at a friend's house, I though it was horrible, laughably bad. I couldn't even figure out how to get through the first door for probably 10 minutes!

But I tried it again later on and it was actually pretty solid. I only played about 30 minutes, but it really captured that old-school "Every fight is potentially deadly" feel. My local game shop had a CIB copy for cheap the other day, I may head down and check on that soon.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:My biggest recommendation would be for you to play a late ssi d&d game, Dark sun: Wake of the Ravager. The game take a place in the amazing Dark Sun campaign setting and the gameplay is easy to grasp, fun to play and offers a huge assortment of quests and areas to explore. It is a semi-open world top down 2d game and is one of the most addicting and fulfilling combat systems in the traditional style.

If you want an ssi game that is on consoles, the Buck Rogers port on the genesis is actually really good. You lose a class or two, but the dungeons are much better. Sure it isn't D&D per se, but it plays like the traditional pc rpgs and it is from the makers of the classics we know and love.

What more D&D stuff, try out the likes of Ravenloft, or menzoberanzen. They are a first person party based style game. They have great worlds, offer a lot of unique interactivity and offer a style that may or may not be up your alley.

Everyone has mentioned the gold box games and they are all spectacular, and they do offer a unique experience all their own. If those don't click with you, try these guys on for size.

From the sounds of things I may start here with Dark Sun or Buck Rodgers. I like the idea of these being late entries in the series and having refined systems. I also love Dark Sun but have never gotten to run/play a game there. My first ever campaign was Ravenloft and I'm now running a game with heavy Drow scheming out of Menzoberanzen so I am extremely interested in those two.

Those GOG collections are a no-brainer. I'm just now checking out the GBC, I'll be using that for sure.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Awesome! Let me know how dark sun treats you. My reccomendation, when playing the game is to save often, make multiple saves and to make a very broad party. It may seem easy to just make super tough fighters, but it will screw you over in the final fight.

The only downside to dark sun is that it can be buggy, which is why I say save often. It isn't as bad as the sequel game, Wake of the Ravages, but you can have some issues in your journey.

Also to note that you can import your party into the sequel which is very very cool!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Where to start? The beginning.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Okay, I have had some trouble getting Dark Sun running on my PC (I am trying my best to get it working with the Steam controller), but in the meantime I went out and bought Warriors of the Eternal Sun and I'm enjoying it quite a bit! I spent probably 20 minutes creating my party and rolling stats before realizing that ranged weapons are OP and starting over.

I love that you start out so fragile, just like real DnD (especially 2e!). It really makes for tense battles against even basic enemies, and it also forces some strategy which keeps the fight from getting boring.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

chuckster wrote:Okay, I have had some trouble getting Dark Sun running on my PC (I am trying my best to get it working with the Steam controller), but in the meantime I went out and bought Warriors of the Eternal Sun and I'm enjoying it quite a bit! I spent probably 20 minutes creating my party and rolling stats before realizing that ranged weapons are OP and starting over.

I love that you start out so fragile, just like real DnD (especially 2e!). It really makes for tense battles against even basic enemies, and it also forces some strategy which keeps the fight from getting boring.

Yeah if you are not running the game off of the various CD collections or through GoG, getting Dark Sun to work is hard! Even with a CD the sequel, Wake of the Ravager has a real problem and must be played through GoG. I am glad you are enjoying Warriors of the Eternal Sun though!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Wakey wakey -- if anyone is interested
5d 18hrs and change to go right now at GoG.com

https://www.gog.com/promo/20170821_weekly_sale

If I recall right the Gold Box Companion that got linked on the forum here works with on gog the D&D Forgotten Realms Archive #2 bundle and also the 3 Krynn titles too.

66% off until the sale expires. $3.39 instead of $9.99 each.