Xeogred
Next-Gen

Gametrailers closing and laid off everyone

Post by Xeogred »

https://www.facebook.com/gametrailers/p ... 2220089285
http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/1094445 ... 3-year-run
http://kotaku.com/video-game-website-ga ... 1757939279

That sucks.

I guess I'm not totally surprised GT fell between the cracks in the last few years. But I was a big fan in the mid 2000's there for awhile, because I stopped caring for written reviews well before that. Was much easier to judge games myself when seeing them in action. I also thought they had way better video reviews than IGN or the other big websites. But I guess it's all too easy to jump on youtube to see clips of games nowadays, though now we have the issue of having to dive through piles of LP's. WalmartYoutube has killed them.

Another somewhat bittersweet loss.
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Gametrailers closing and laid off everyone

Post by Markies »

RIP The Last Modern Gaming Website I Visited

GameTrailers has been a staple of my web surfing for almost 10 years now. They were the one source that I listened to in regards to modern gaming. They produced content that you couldn't find anywhere else and they had an amazing group of workers. From GT Countdowns to The Final Bosman to Pop Fiction to Retrospectives to Game of the Year Awards, it was my favorite video gaming site for the longest time. They were one of the few websites that produced unique videos of modern and retro gaming.

They had been going for 13 years and were recently sold to Defy Media which is a big Youtube company. They just couldn't transition and the site remake didn't work and their budget was cut severely and they were moved around several times.

It's depressing and I will miss the site. I visited it several times a day and one that I will have fond memories of.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Wow, didn't see this coming. I saw GT as one of those staples like IGN that will just be around forever. Apparently it happened overnight too, as in, two days ago the staff had no idea this was going to happen.

I guess it makes sense though. Youtube/Twitch is to gaming websites as gaming websites were to gaming magazines.

Hopefully all their content is backed up on Youtube or some guy's hard drive. I'd hate to see gaming history outright disappear.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

That's a shame. I was never a big fan... reviews themselves were sort of bland, but it was still top-notch video production (the best around really) with a strong sense of consistency. Always a shame to see quality games content producers out of a job.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

It was an okay website. Kotaku needs to die really. Kotaku has shitty posts and constant advertisements, so clickbait. Kotaku feels like its run by lazy cats trying to make money and attention. Patricia Hernandez is the worst not because gender but boring ramble postings about pokemon and five nights of Freddy.

I don't need kotaku telling which games to get every year. I know the difference between a good game and a bad one. I also hate bloggers streaming games on twitch to make money quick, but that ruins the gamers experience from playing on your own.

I use to visit destructoid, don't know how it is now. Neogaf is good. Egm and 1up were fun.
Last edited by benderx on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

benderx wrote:It was okay website. Kotaku needs to die really. Kotaku is shitty posts and consent advertisements, so clickbait. Kotaku feels like its run by lazy cats trying to make money and attention. I use visit destructoid, don't know how it is now. Neogaf is good.

Destructoid's been slipping for the last year or so. The quality of their writing has dropped and some of their writers are whiny IMO. I never made a conscious decision to stop visiting the place, it just slowly happened.

Now Neogaf... I've heard you have to own a paid email account to sign up, and that they'll ban you at the drop of a hat. But I've also heard that actual game devs post there from time to time.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

BoringSupreez wrote:
benderx wrote:It was okay website. Kotaku needs to die really. Kotaku is shitty posts and consent advertisements, so clickbait. Kotaku feels like its run by lazy cats trying to make money and attention. I use visit destructoid, don't know how it is now. Neogaf is good.

Destructoid's been slipping for the last year or so. The quality of their writing has dropped and some of their writers are whiny IMO. I never made a conscious decision to stop visiting the place, it just slowly happened.

Now Neogaf... I've heard you have to own a paid email account to sign up, and that they'll ban you at the drop of a hat. But I've also heard that actual game devs post there from time to time.

Agreed. Dtoid become my go-to place after 1UP finally died (I recommend USGamer, quality writing from some of the old 1uppers), but recently... meh. Chris Carter still rocks. everyone else... I cant remember their names.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I stick to Polygon and Siliconera.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

BoringSupreez wrote:Now Neogaf... I've heard you have to own a paid email account to sign up, and that they'll ban you at the drop of a hat. But I've also heard that actual game devs post there from time to time.

Honestly fuck NeoGAF. It's a shame too, because in my opinion it's the best place to chat about games on the internet and there's really no competitor. All the things you said above are true though. I had to use my work e-mail (seriously?) to sign up, and I heard nothing from them for about a week and a half in terms of registration. I even e-mailed them once with no response, and just figured it was a glitch in the system and I wasn't getting an account. Then all of a sudden St. Peter himself must've granted me passage into their joyous world of video game message boards over a week later.

I got banned a couple weeks later for disputing "facts" about the percentage of men vs. women who play video games. I argued with a couple of users for a few pages, and it was passionate but with little to no swearing or condescension. Then I got banned, asked why (since the infraction basically amounted to having a spirited debate), and was never responded to.

They have an extremely high opinion of themselves over there and you can't say anything they don't agree with even if you have a point. Bunch of assholes.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Although GT is hardly relevant to me at all today, almost all of the online gaming-related content I consumed as a kid came from there. It was my daily go to for watching game footage, AVGN, and Screw Attack. I really liked the countdowns specifically. Sad to see it go, and hope that people like Screw Attack will stick around.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3