Japan's 20th Pokemon 2DS--How am I going to make this work?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Beak
64-bit

Japan's 20th Pokemon 2DS--How am I going to make this work?

Post by Beak »

I am smitten with this beaut and it's clear this will be a valuable item in the future. Unfortunately... it's Japan only! I'm considering importing one, as I am eager to enter this generation of handheld gaming.

Have any of you considered buying this? Nintendo's handhelds are region-locked. Is there a workaround you plan on using, if one exists? What are you thoughts on the 2DS compared to the 3DS? I'm a huge fan of the original GBA, and I feel like this 2DS is the spirital successor! Convince me I need to buy this. :(
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Japan's 20th Pokemon 2DS--How am I going to make this wo

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I think the 2DS is an abomination because it got rid of the 3D - literally the main point of the 3DS (even if it's a relatively unpopular feature) - and because it doesn't close.

I'm a stickler for relatively meaningless things, though, so my opinion probably isn't the best. All of those gripes aside, though, I want all four of them because collector. The only thing with this is that the 3DS/2DS is region locked. Damn it, Nintendo.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I've been meaning to pick up a Japanese 2DS/3DS, and these look pretty cool, and are about ask expensive as anything else, tbh (at least as far as new ones are concerned. Pretty easy to get a used one on Ebay for like 100 only). Might as well go with one of these if you're thinking of ever importing one, because I seriously doubt they're gonna go down in price any time soon.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Question shouldn't be are you going to get one, region locking sucks, but which one do you get? I think I'd go for Pikachu Yellow but they are all pretty cool looking.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Beak wrote:What are you thoughts on the 2DS compared to the 3DS?

I own both a 3DS XL and a 2DS. I find the 3DS is nice for short sessions with 3D action games. The 3D starts to bother my eyes after a while though. In that regard the 2DS is great for JRPGs and SRPGs when playing those for hours at a time. I don't really miss the 3D effect in those genres, especially when you're looking at menus constantly. As for comfort, the 2DS is extremely comfortable and built like a brick. It does unfortunately have smaller screens than the XL, however the 2DS PPI is way better than the 3DS XL. Also if you put the 3DS into 2D mode it has a scanline effect, but the 2DS is native 2D and doesn't suffer from that. The 2DS only has mono speakers unless you use headphones.

Overall, for JRPGs and SRPGs the 2DS is great. For everything else go 3DS if you care about the 3D effect itself.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

As someone who never uses the 3D functionality and owns both a n3DS XL and a 2DS, I really like the 2DS form factor honestly. It does come down to how much the 3DS means to you, but it really doesn't add anything to the gameplay experience for me. The new 3DS's did a great job at making the 3D more practical with the head tracking implementation, but the feature itself just doesn't do much for me. I'd recommend trying either a friends or a display unit at Gamestop/Best Buy and seeing how much you like the 3D features.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Beak: What's my thoughts on 2DS compared to 3DS?

Pretty easy if you take the 3DS out of the equation and stick with NEW 3DS. 3DS wins hands down if you don't have depth perception problems including a weak or blind eye.

The old 3DS though I'd call it even money if you don't care about a few things when considering a 2DS. The 2DS has only one speaker, stereo without headphones is gone and I've read it's not as loud either. It also has no power saving mode on 2DS.

New3DS I'll just add why I said it was best still, they fixed the problems with the 3D capability that plagued the 3DS. They added this head tracking bit to the internal camera so that it keeps your 3D image stable. The old system if you tilted it more than a degree or two you would get blurry double vision which caused a lot of people problems from eye strain to feeling sick. Effectively most people just stopped using it completely (which I did because it would get me killed in games.) I did get a New3DS, it's fixed, so I just keep the slider on now as it's fantastic.

The pokemon systems both come in 2DS and 3DS form. The New 3DS form has detachable shell faceplates of the different pokemon for each edition you get, but it's not a colored transparent handheld like 2DS. It's something to consider depending on what you value.

Personally I'd get the New3DS (or XL like I have) as you can then experience all the features and no loss of the speaker or power saving mode, but obviously more expensive.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Tanooki wrote:It also has no power saving mode on 2DS.

If you're talking about putting it to sleep without turning it off, the 2DS does support that:

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

How about the whole bit about region locking and/or playing all your games in Japanese?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Exhuminator wrote:
Tanooki wrote:It also has no power saving mode on 2DS.

If you're talking about putting it to sleep without turning it off, the 2DS does support that:

Nope there's another power saving feature the 3DS has, I knew it had the sleep switch. Trust me at one point I was tempted to buy the thing with no news of a New3DS even being made, and me pissed the 3D didn't work right, I was looking to switch out and pouch the system since I don't take it much anywhere anyway. Once I saw the short list of the changes I didn't get it.