Five 2D Fighters You'd Take With You to Your Grave

Brawlers and Beatemups
Ack

Re: Five 2D Fighters You'd Take With You to Your Grave

Post by Ack »

Prfsnl, have you tried out World Heroes? You might enjoy it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:Prfsnl, have you tried out World Heroes? You might enjoy it.

I have! When I was a teenager, it and its sequel were briefly my favorite Neo Geo games, and I have the collection for the PS2. Revisiting it recently, however, I found it a bit underwhelming. Jet and Perfect felt pretty good, though, and I very much still enjoy the death matches with the “tug of war” life bars.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

pierrot wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Dreamcast)

What kind of trauma led you all to want to abuse yourselves this much?

I like it when fighters give me a robust single player and the world tour mode in the Dreamcast version is really cool. Granted it's been years and years since I messed with this so I may not have the patience anymore.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Ack wrote:Prfsnl, have you tried out World Heroes? You might enjoy it.

I have! When I was a teenager, it and its sequel were briefly my favorite Neo Geo games, and I have the collection for the PS2. Revisiting it recently, however, I found it a bit underwhelming. Jet and Perfect felt pretty good, though, and I very much still enjoy the death matches with the “tug of war” life bars.

I actually probably played more World Heroes as a kid than I did Street Fighter because it's what was readily available to me. The death matches were really fun and reminded me of the hazards in One Must Fall: 2097. Tournament players will hate me for this but I love games with stage hazards.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

The only World Heroes game I've ever played was World Heroes Perfect on the Saturn. I turned it on, picked not-Krauser, and proceeded to 1-cc the arcade mode. Then I turned it off, and have been World-Heroes-free ever since. It was probably my own fault for possibly picking the broken character of the game, though.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Also, M. Bison is a ferocious final boss, and I forgot how tough he could be. I’m a bit embarrassed at how many attempts it took me to knock him over.

You're not talking about Boxer, right? It was a while ago that I was playing SSFIIX Grand Master Challenge on the Dreamcast, but I distinctly remember continuing so much that the counter in my score couldn't keep track of the continues anymore, because it only kept two digits for it. Vega/Bison is some next level assholery. The only comparable Capcom boss that I've faced is Magneto in X-men COTA on the Saturn. Every single fight against the CPU in that game is like a boss fight, but Magneto is stupid. I managed to beat it only by abusing the hell out of Storm's keep-away shenanigans. I heard recently that those two bosses are potentially the most difficult Capcom bosses though. There are certainly others that are more difficult to reach, but I guess those two are some of the ultimate in rage bating bosses.

Gunstar Green wrote:
pierrot wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Dreamcast)

What kind of trauma led you all to want to abuse yourselves this much?

I like it when fighters give me a robust single player and the world tour mode in the Dreamcast version is really cool. Granted it's been years and years since I messed with this so I may not have the patience anymore.

:lol: That didn't even deserve an honest response, but yeah, there's certainly more content in the console versions of SFA 3, than the second game. I didn't really notice the platform qualifier. Didn't all the console versions have World Tour mode, though?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I’m a fan of Real Bout Special and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

pierrot wrote: :lol: That didn't even deserve an honest response, but yeah, there's certainly more content in the console versions of SFA 3, than the second game. I didn't really notice the platform qualifier. Didn't all the console versions have World Tour mode, though?

Probably, I don't recall.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Gunstar Green wrote:
pierrot wrote: :lol: That didn't even deserve an honest response, but yeah, there's certainly more content in the console versions of SFA 3, than the second game. I didn't really notice the platform qualifier. Didn't all the console versions have World Tour mode, though?

Probably, I don't recall.

They did but I remember the DC World Tour mode not being as good as the PS1 version. They were different. That said, if you want to play SFA3 on console, get a Saturn or PS2 copy. The 30th collection version is nice, but it's a straight arcade port.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

@pierrot

That’s right. I’m not talking about the boxer. I’m talking about the flamboyant magical dictator(?). :lol: The other bosses were actually ally easier than I remembered. During my most recent play through, I was playing as Ken (of course) and had to continue once at Zangief, once at Sagat, and an embarrassing number of times at Bison. Vega (the Spaniard with the mask and claws) was really easy, and he is the one who always gave me the most trouble as a kid in the SNES port.
marurun

Post by marurun »

On SNES, when I was younger and SF2 was still a new title, I could only beat the game using luck and jumping neutral Roundhouses.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Mortal Kombat 9 (never played 10)
Street Fighter II Turbo
Vampire Savior
X-Men: Children of the Atom (maybe Marvel Super Heroes)
Last Blade 2

LB2 is a maybe. Haven't played SFII in years, so maybe a more nostalgia-oriented title would go there instead.

I'm not a big fighters fan, but I enjoyed all these enough to play and replay.

Come at me, pierrot.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.