Beginner friendly fighters with netplay

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Re: Beginner friendly fighters with netplay

Post by marurun »

the7k wrote:Which is a shame because I honestly feel, those issues aside, this has a lot of potential. For me personally, if they'd just bring the input delay to no more than 5 frames and actually do something about the rage quit issue, I'd be more than ready to jump back in.

I'm assuming the 8-frame delay is to accommodate control and display lag in modern TVs. Wouldn't having less frame delay negatively affect anyone who doesn't have a super high-end TV?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Higher end TVs are actually more likely to have display lag due to the extra post-processing and such.

Anyway, I don't think having high input lag benefits having high display lag - it's just more lag on top of more lag. If it takes 5 frames for what's in the box to be displayed on the TV, then it takes 8 frames of input lag for what you've pressed to go to the box, then you have 13 frames of lag total, not 3 frames.

Input buffers have been implemented in some games to help make the online seem smoother (first example I remember using input buffers for this purpose being BlazBlue), but that's different from input delay.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ah, yup, that makes sense. Is that for networking, then?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.