New joystick for helping to not suck so much

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

New joystick for helping to not suck so much

Post by marurun »

So, I have a new Qanba Carbon that arrived in the mail today. Maybe over time I will suck less at fighters with it. My first few plays haven't helped, but over time? Who knows. Didn't win a single match of SFIV.

Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: New joystick for helping to not suck so much

Post by dsheinem »

How does it compare to a Madcatz or Hori stick?
marurun

Post by marurun »

No idea, never used one. I'm a cheapskate. Reviews indicated it was solid. Sanwa parts are drop-in replacements, but the reviews all indicated the Qanba buttons and stick weren't bad to start with. My only complaint is that the buttons are a bit close to the stick. I just re-did the controls to put the main buttons over a row. The buttons are pretty sensitive starting out, though. I'm getting a few presses from simple resting pressure.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I have always found that a fight stick doesn't improve a person's performance. When having a fighting game click, it really is a matter of preference in control scheme. Also, sometimes it literally is just not grasping the rhythm of the particular title. For instance, the links in SF IV have a really odd rhythm in linking some combos in comparison to V.

As for the stick itself Qanba is a great brand that is a step above madcatz or hori in general. I use a Hori stick that is up to snuff with Qanba and I love it, but I use it inly for street fighter titles and I stick to a pad for virtua fighter. Again, preference takes precedent. Just put the time in, practice and be prepared to lose. Fighting games are the rare beast where improvement is almost unnoticeable. You start to understand the moves, the openings and the matchups instinctually. Keep at it and enjoy the stick. It is a beauty!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I have always found that a fight stick doesn't improve a person's performance.

I find this true, too, but a good fight stick can easily improve a person's performance from a bad fight stick.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think this will be better than my Xbox360 pad. I cannot reliably do some rather basic moves on that pad. 'Course, sometimes I fail at that on the new stick. Even though I've played fighting games on and off for years, I have never managed to translate that play into reliable results. Virtua Fighter is as close as I've come to being not completely horrible.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:I think this will be better than my Xbox360 pad. I cannot reliably do some rather basic moves on that pad. 'Course, sometimes I fail at that on the new stick. Even though I've played fighting games on and off for years, I have never managed to translate that play into reliable results. Virtua Fighter is as close as I've come to being not completely horrible.

Oh I totally understand! On a pad, I have a very hard time throwing dragon punches. On a stick, I throw them 10 times out of 10. Problem is, I have a hard time with fireballs....I just end up doing dragon punches! I think the best way to improve in fighting games is to look up your move lists, understand what is safe and not safe and play against more and more people. The only way to learn how to fight against a character is to play someone who knows how to be that character. Learn the cheap moves, learn to know when you can counter attack. I know you have it in you! Enjoy the games, enjoy the stick and if worst comes to worst, you still have an awesome stick to play arcade SHMUPs and Beat-em-ups!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
As for the stick itself Qanba is a great brand that is a step above madcatz or hori in general. I use a Hori stick that is up to snuff with Qanba and I love it, but I use it inly for street fighter titles and I stick to a pad for virtua fighter.

Why do you think it is a step above? I went ahead and looked up a review, which seems to suggest that the stick is decent for the money but nowhere near Hori/MadCatz's better sticks which are better built all around: http://www.megatechnews.com/megatech-re ... -carbon/...
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

dsheinem wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:
As for the stick itself Qanba is a great brand that is a step above madcatz or hori in general. I use a Hori stick that is up to snuff with Qanba and I love it, but I use it inly for street fighter titles and I stick to a pad for virtua fighter.

Why do you think it is a step above? I went ahead and looked up a review, which seems to suggest that the stick is decent for the money but nowhere near Hori/MadCatz's better sticks which are better built all around: http://www.megatechnews.com/megatech-re ... -carbon/...

That may be the case for the particular model, but what is most important in the end is the parts. With arcade sticks price is very important. There are some Hori sticks that are high end, but a vast selection of their products are in the mid to low range level of quality.

marurun

Post by marurun »

I am finding the actual stick housing is rather quality, and has good heft (even if the buttons are too close to the stick). And since Sanwa parts are drop-in replacements, you can buy cheaper and then upgrade later.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile