Last Bronx

Brawlers and Beatemups
marurun

Last Bronx

Post by marurun »

So, I've owned this game for a while. I have the Japanese version. I did play an arcade version in Japan years ago. It's not flashy like Soul Edge, but I think the gameplay is tighter. The characters aren't quite as insane looking as the ones in Fighting Vipers. I think it is ultimately a little closer in style to FV than Virtua Fighter, though. Still, it's odd how little is said about this game, despite the fact that the gameplay is really solid. I think the game is much tighter than Soul Edge (and Fighting Vipers) and the fighting styles are all pretty distinct.

Anyone else have thoughts on this Sega hidden gem?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Last Bronx

Post by Stark »

This is a Saturn game right? I believe I have it, but haven't given it a go yet. Looking at the pictures, is it a fighter with weapons like Soul Edge? I'll have to give it a try!!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
marurun

Post by marurun »

It is a weapons-based fighter. It plays a lot like Virtual Fighter in some regards, but with slightly more aggressive juggling. It isn't as flashy as Soul Edge, but I think it is more solidly designed. Saturn port is great.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I remember almost buying the PC version back in the day. Was that one of those Sega ports that required MMX? I know Virtual-On did, but I'm not sure about Last Bronx.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Gotta rock that Nagi with spoon and fork.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Sarge wrote:I remember almost buying the PC version back in the day. Was that one of those Sega ports that required MMX? I know Virtual-On did, but I'm not sure about Last Bronx.

I didn't even realize it got a PC port. That's awesome.

For a while I've been wanting to make a set of lists of all Sega ports by console. Someday...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It apparently also looks better on PC, as well. Closer to the Model 2 hardware, if what I'm reading is correct.

It also looks like it made it to PS2, and that one is supposed to be a direct port from the arcade hardware.
outlaw_moon
24-bit

Post by outlaw_moon »

I remember picking this up with Fighters Megamix back in the day at my local VG store. It has been at least 10 years since i last played LB, but I remember really enjoying it. Not as tight as Virtua Fighter 2 but still good controls.
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
Cafeman
8-bit

Post by Cafeman »

It was a very good port to Saturn. One of the final big games if I recall correctly. I've owned it for almost 20 years now. I was a big VF2 and VF3 fan, and I loved the Saturn VF2 and Fighting Megamix games. I found Last Bronx a little less interesting than those despite the technical accomplishments (great 60fps animation and weapons trails). It seemed more button-mashey than VF. I'll need to pop it in again soon!
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

i got it for PS2. it was alright, but i have issues with its collision detection it felt very "stiff". would have played this more if i actually have someone to play with