Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

Brawlers and Beatemups
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Re: Street of Rage Remake version 5.0

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Well yeah, it runs great on my mac... But I'm using bootcamp/WinXP. Would be great if this runs just as well in OSX.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

Off Topic: So...yeah, I've gutted my roms (healthier thing to do than it sounds, sometimes you have stuff that's been there a long time and you still have no idea what it is/desire to play it), and I don't know, there's just a lot of supposedly major stuff that just doesn't click with me. The whole Mega Man series, Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, The Guardian Legend, the whole of one on one fighting, shoot em ups, RPG's(and anything with elements of) and anything else requiring exploration, which actually explains half of those I listed by title. It's a weird thing, discovering your tastes changing. So most of my rom sets don't exceed 60, with arcade having 74(lot of good beat em ups, even with my currently restricted tastes, plus 2 player character selectable/english clone roms). Also decided to ditch anything that didn't have a localization for the U.S., including translations and hacks. I think we get a good deal of stuff, and anyone that complains that "Japan keeps the best stuff to themselves," probably doesn't even deserve what they do have.

Beat em ups in general: I dunno, I find I just prefer they have shorter stages with good fighting variety. for example, I've been playing NES Double Dragon lately. I hate seeing anything resembling RPG's, but the I can somehow deal with the exp./move obtaining system here. When all's said and done though, in one game with 2 buttons, you have a punch combo, a kick combo, a grab that stems from the kick combo, with a knee smash combo, and throw that can be performed from it, a back elbow, a headbutt, a jump kick, and the ability to sit on your opponent and pummel their face. That's quite the variety of attack options, before you get to how different the weapons/pickups are. All that in '88, it gets kinda disappointing when later games only have, say, a punch combo and a jump attack, or something.

On topic: Anyone mess with the editors yet? I haven't renamed anyone, but I've edited some costumes.

Also, GFL, does this game work on your PC?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Yeah, it runs just fine. I played it for the first time today with Blaze. It seems like a damn near perfect beat'em up quite honestly, but one thing that is keeping me from loving it is how freaking cheap it is at times. I pretty much hate every part of the game that involves ninjas or guys with rocket packs

And those bike riding levels are fucking lame

Otherwise, I'd probably rate this a 9/10 just based on my initial impressions. I'm still learning the ropes though and have probably only seen a fraction of the game so far
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Gamerforlife wrote:Yeah, it runs just fine. I played it for the first time today with Blaze. It seems like a damn near perfect beat'em up quite honestly, but one thing that is keeping me from loving it is how freaking cheap it is at times. I pretty much hate every part of the game that involves ninjas or guys with rocket packs

Otherwise, I'd probably rate this a 9/10 just based on my initial impressions. I'm still learning the ropes though and have probably only seen a fraction of the game so far

Take note that activating specials will break you out of grabs and combos. Skilled timing and reflexes can stop the cheapness you're talking about. Also, learn to use sidesteps. It avoids 90% of the cheap in the game. Once you get into the game, you'll figure out that everything has a counter. It really is an amazing game and I definitely give it a 10/10 considering everything about it.

Ninjas and rocketpacks get screwed by sidesteps, and you can jump kick rocketpacks off the screen, forcing them to come back at jump kick height. Good timing with this can lock them down.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

Gamerforlife wrote:Yeah, it runs just fine. I played it for the first time today with Blaze. It seems like a damn near perfect beat'em up quite honestly, but one thing that is keeping me from loving it is how freaking cheap it is at times. I pretty much hate every part of the game that involves ninjas or guys with rocket packs

Take note that activating specials will break you out of grabs and combos. Skilled timing and reflexes can stop the cheapness you're talking about. Also, learn to use sidesteps. It avoids 90% of the cheap in the game. Once you get into the game, you'll figure out that everything has a counter. It really is an amazing game and I definitely give it a 10/10 considering everything about it.

Ninjas and rocketpacks get screwed by sidesteps, and you can jump kick rocketpacks off the screen, forcing them to come back at jump kick height. Good timing with this can lock them down.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

Yeah, the vehicles are probably the one thing keeping this from being perfect. I think one reason most people like SoR in general is that it's NOT Battletoads.

Also, that meter in between the lifebars, which is a SoR3 thing, allows you to use your specials without a loss of health(when they're full and say "o.k."). That's a pretty major advantage given to the player.

When you say "side step" do you mean backing up a little, or using the vertical planes?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

You can roll/jump down or up if that's what SplashChick meant. I think it might be something you have to enable in the options though, SoR3 had this.

But yeah, as simple as the game is there's a lot to learn that'll make you get better at it. Using specials effectively with a full bar, or sometimes using a standing special even without a full bar is better than taking a full on combo or grab from an enemy. Also most characters have invincible frames when throwing an enemy, so timed well you can grab an enemy, pummel them a bit, then throw them right as someone else attacks you and sometimes you'll damage both without getting hurt yourself. I also realized taking your time on Hard and up is crucial at some parts, so don't keep running over to the end of screens, that way not every enemy spawns on you at once and you can take out smaller numbers quicker. This is definitely essential for some boss fights.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Xeogred wrote:I do believe I know a guy from another forum that's been playing it on a Mac just fine, though don't quote me on that. lol

*quotes Xeogred*
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

So is it fine on Mac's? :lol:
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

OK, because Renegade466isback hasn't made a list of all of the SORRv5 tunes he has collected, I made one of my own using his links:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wip3outguy7 ... A73ABA49E3

I will try to keep it up to date as he adds other music, but no promises.