Neo Geo Pocket Colour Best Games

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Neo Geo Pocket Colour Best Games

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ack wrote:I've noticed that as I use cards as backup, the name gets a star symbol beside it. Does that do anything? And if I were to use an SNK card to backup a Capcom one, would the '?' disappear? I don't have too many SNK cards, but if I have the means just to clear up who can support folks like T. Hawk, it might be worth doing in a throwaway match.

If you use an SNK card to backup a Capcom one (or vice versa) the ??? goes away. The star is just a marker to show that you've done that backup before. Just a completionist thing that the game tracks for your that doesn't do anything mechanically.

Ack wrote:Also, I'm still pretty weak in terms of card rarity. I have a couple of B-rated cards like Morrigan, but mostly I'm still stuck with the C and D designations.

Short of some very specific backups (like how M. Bison's ability works), your late game deck will likely have no D-ranks and maybe on C-rank card. B-ranks tend to have some of the best ability/BP/SP balances, A-ranks tend to have good abilities but things not quite as good as B-ranks (but not all the time), and then S-ranks tend to have either incredible BP and no ability (like Geese who has 1500) or just alright BP (like 500) and a really nuts ability (SFA Chun-Li for example).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

Heh, sounds like I have a ways to go. So how long should I expect to be playing this game then? Should I just keep fighting the same folks over and over and hoping I get B-rank cards?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:Heh, sounds like I have a ways to go. So how long should I expect to be playing this game then? Should I just keep fighting the same folks over and over and hoping I get B-rank cards?

The main campaign is pretty brutal near the end. I'd say probably like 20 or 30 hours? It's been a while since I've one it XP
I don't think you really need to just sit and grind cards without meeting an obstacle first. Try fighting a boss a few times, and if you absolutely can't beat them, then try getting some new cards.
There are specific series that each NPC gives cards from when you beat them, but bosses not only give more cards but tend to give rarer ones as well. I thiiiink the normal non-boss guys can give rarer cards, but the fact that bosses give you 5 instead of 3 makes just repeat fights against bosses the best way to grind cards.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh, 5 does sound nice. I've been grinding against Take because he's one of the easiest fights I've come across, and even he will give some rarer cards; I snagged my first A-rank off him this morning, Akuma. I'll take what I've earned and see what I can do. Who are the bosses? I know I have to beat 3 folks to face someone in Capcom Plaza, but are their bosses at the other locations, like the RE mansion?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:Oh, 5 does sound nice. I've been grinding against Take because he's one of the easiest fights I've come across, and even he will give some rarer cards; I snagged my first A-rank off him this morning, Akuma. I'll take what I've earned and see what I can do. Who are the bosses? I know I have to beat 3 folks to face someone in Capcom Plaza, but are their bosses at the other locations, like the RE mansion?

Generally, you just beat all the 3-card guys in an area and the 5-card guy will become apparent. If you go into the mansion, you should be able to fight Mikami (I think that's who it is) immediately, and he's sitting across from a 3-card guy (who maybe you have to beat first? I don't remember). Another note about the mansion, there's a guy smoking a pipe whom it seems like you can't get to. That's because you can't until the post-game.

Akuma is an AMAZING first A-rank to score! He's SO broken, right?! The nerf him in the sequel though. In this one, you just pick the enemy card to KO, but in the sequel he just KO's the card on the opposite side of him. (they nerf similar 1-turn KO/removal cards the same way).
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I admittedly continued grinding on easier to beat opponents to try and pick up more B-rank cards, but after snagging a few Rose cards, a Falcon, and a Morrigan, along with cards like three of Zangief, I finally took down the first of the "boss" characters and earned a coin. It was the Kid in Joy Joy(at least I think that is the name). I've also opened up access to bosses in the RE mansion, Lost World, and Capcom Plaza, but I need to eliminate more of the weak D-ranks from my deck before I feel comfortable.

Now, card trading. I've seen the vending machines and the card traders, but so far they haven't seemed worth using. Should I start considering spending ten D-ranks in a vending machine? And since I have no desire to use SNK cards, should I trade them for B-rank or A-rank cards like Captain Commando or Pyron? I'm not sure if it's worth the cost yet. Plus, I have owned about 100/300 cards, and I don't want that number to decrease...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:Well, I admittedly continued grinding on easier to beat opponents to try and pick up more B-rank cards, but after snagging a few Rose cards, a Falcon, and a Morrigan, along with cards like three of Zangief, I finally took down the first of the "boss" characters and earned a coin. It was the Kid in Joy Joy(at least I think that is the name). I've also opened up access to bosses in the RE mansion, Lost World, and Capcom Plaza, but I need to eliminate more of the weak D-ranks from my deck before I feel comfortable.

Now, card trading. I've seen the vending machines and the card traders, but so far they haven't seemed worth using. Should I start considering spending ten D-ranks in a vending machine? And since I have no desire to use SNK cards, should I trade them for B-rank or A-rank cards like Captain Commando or Pyron? I'm not sure if it's worth the cost yet. Plus, I have owned about 100/300 cards, and I don't want that number to decrease...

You can only have up to three of a card in your deck at the same time, so anything over 3 is automatically trader-food. Past that, I don't really see any reason to keep more than one of any D or C rank card you aren't particularly attached to. If you have the cards to burn to get ones you want, there's no reason not to do it if it'll make your deck stronger :)

On a note, Captain Commando has a pretty good ability, and also some D-rank cards to back him up if you're so inclined (even though those cards all suck). Pyron is an AMAZING card though, becuase he has good BP and a fantastic ability. If you can get a Pyron and have the cards to do it, I'd totally go for it. 3 Pyrons in any deck isn't a bad choice unless you're going for some crazy meta-decking. He gives you +3 SP at the end of EVERY one of your turns, so you can just play action cards and do unite attacks like CRAZY.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Man, y'all are bringing back some good memories. I loved this game. I think I'm gonna go see what I have in my deck...

...don't have many A-rank cards. Strider Hiryu and Haggar, it would seem. A fair amount of B-rank, though; it was enough to beat the game with, at any rate. My timer says 9:01.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, I'm already past Sarge's time, but I have five coins and access now to the Semi-Finals. I see what Partridge meant about the continuous run of tough fights there. I made it through the first without much problem but just couldn't get going on the second. And then my opponent pulled out S-rank cards like a 1500-point Geese, and I knew I wasn't going to make it.

I've been grinding against bosses and trading for cards ever since. I've now swapped out my cards so the weakest characters are still 600 points or higher, and I have started bringing in SNK cards with higher values, like 800-point Andy.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:Yeah, I'm already past Sarge's time, but I have five coins and access now to the Semi-Finals. I see what Partridge meant about the continuous run of tough fights there. I made it through the first without much problem but just couldn't get going on the second. And then my opponent pulled out S-rank cards like a 1500-point Geese, and I knew I wasn't going to make it.

I've been grinding against bosses and trading for cards ever since. I've now swapped out my cards so the weakest characters are still 600 points or higher, and I have started bringing in SNK cards with higher values, like 800-point Andy.

Damn, Sarge! 9 hours is REALLY quick! You're playing the Capcom version of the game, right? If you go to the arcade, there should be a guy near the front (I think he's pacing back and forth in front of an arcade machine) that you can battle for a very good card (if you win it's 100% he'll give it to you). Basically your own Geese. That should help out a bit ;3