Neo Geo Pocket Colour Best Games

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Neo Geo Pocket Colour Best Games

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I don't even play the games that really use the joystick to any meaningful degree. I just like the clicky sounds :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I like that click stick, the only game is really fails for are the compose rose arcade games, and they knew it too at Namco which is why Pac-Man was packed in with a little plastic ring so you wouldn't get control drift so the game would play at its best, and in turn very valuable for Crush Roller too.

For me my favorites were Neo Turf Masters, Rockman Battle & Fighters, Cotton, Metal Slug, and Biomotor Unitron. They really stood out. It eats at me how much those 2 rockman and cotton games get now as I really wish I still had them so I bought the kit as a compromise, but it doesn't mean I have to like it still. :\ I doubt I'd get the $100+ out of either of them in plays to buy them loose now or I'd just eat it and get them.

Of anything on that system I still believe Neo Turf Masters had the most go back to it play value for going at it on your own. Maybe with a partner, not so much as some fighters really can get insane with how tight they worked, puzzles too. But as a 1P game NTM was done so well with just enough courses and character combos along with the random weather variable each time you play it's always something to strive to be better at.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Man, I just looked at the retro handheld price guide. $65 for a NGPC now. I bought mine for $20 10 years ago.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, the NGPC has been discovered. Games I paid $5 for now go for $25 cart only. I looked into picking up a couple more titles this year and then decided against it over the price.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Ack wrote:Yeah, the NGPC has been discovered. Games I paid $5 for now go for $25 cart only. I looked into picking up a couple more titles this year and then decided against it over the price.

Yeah I saw the price of Dark Arms is now around $30 on eBay. I got it for $5. Might sell that; it’s not my favorite anyway.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Ack wrote:Yeah, the NGPC has been discovered. Games I paid $5 for now go for $25 cart only. I looked into picking up a couple more titles this year and then decided against it over the price.

Same here, just last year though. I ended up getting lucky on a few and not getting hit, but when it came down to it I went with the NGPC SD Kit from RetroHQ. In one case of the two games, you have liars claiming absolute rarity and no US version for Cotton, and the other was Japanese only Rockman so both of them even as a loose game top $100+ easily. I couldn't stomach it so I quit, got the kit, and sold off just a few fluff titles I got in the original replacement lot of games when I got the system back.

On a nicer note Pocket Rumble that is on Steam hits Switch very very shortly, and they did say all along they'd put out a free NGPC rom too, but I can't seem to find anything about that one still. Hopefully it still exists.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Welp, I beat the Capcom version of SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash in the first part of the year and figured I'd go back and play the SNK version. Functionally, it's no different; you just start with SNK-themed cards instead of Capcom ones. Devices that gave you Capcom cards now give SNK ones, and certain means of acquiring S-ranked cards are now used for SNK rarities as opposed to Capcom ones. Other than that, there really isn't much change.

I admit, I'm doing this for completion's sake and to say I've done it, but it is nice to go back to the NGPC and recall my thoughts when I first started picking up Card Fighter's Clash. I enjoyed it the first time, and I'm enjoying it the second time from the other side. If anyone is still interested in tracking these down, I'd say do it, but you don't really need to get both unless you're a die-hard. Just pick whether you prefer SNK or Capcom games to decide which version to check out.