Retro Games' "The C64"

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
opa
128-bit

Retro Games' "The C64"

Post by opa »

Retro Games released The C64 in Europe recently. An emulated C64 with a full-sized keyboard with a pre-installed set of games. Of course most people are gonna plug in a usb stick and play the actual games they want to play. This is the same company that produced the c64 mini a few years back. The game list for Europe can be found here.

Anyone else gonna grab one when they hit the 'states? WinVice works pretty darn well for my needs but I'd love to have the actual Commodore keys without buying a dusty C64 off ebay that someone found in their granddaddy's attic.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Retro Games' "The C64"

Post by Anapan »

I've been thinking of getting one since I've mostly given up on getting a SX-64. If I do get one I'm hoping I can scale the video down and transcode it to RGB.

They mostly fixed the sound delay the mini version has, but I wish the keyboard was a bit better. Still, for the price I can't complain.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Did they announce a price for US/Canada-land? I must've missed it.

edit:
I don't like to plug youtube personalities but the 8 bit guy did a cool review/disassembly of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxx2F4ffmeE
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

No price set, only looking at the price of the Euro version and assuming the NA ver will be similar.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Unsurprisingly, The C64 is delayed due to the virus. I wish they were able to get it out sooner. Being trapped away from civilization is the perfect time to dive into classic computing! lol
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Here's what Retro Games had to say on social media regarding the North American release:
June 26

THEC64 (full sized model) in the USA – we are close to having a solution to this problem, and just waiting for confirmation from various partners, but we hope to have at least an initial solution to getting THEC64 (full sized model) out to you all there, so hang tight for details on that ASAP we can but we are close.

Well that's all well and good but then they go ahead and mention that they're releasing a "The Vic20" model this October... It seems to be the same product but with more Vic 20 games and a Vic-looking outer shell...

I'm assuming shipping large quantities to the US/Canada is an issue right now. However, it seems a bit odd that they can produce a similar product for the European market for later this year but the rest of the world is still waiting on the original release.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Now available for pre-order on amazon. $130; release date is November 5th.

Edit: that's apparently just Amazon U.S.
Canada isn't live yet according to their last update.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

anapan, did you get one? I skipped out as I'm not dying to play c64 stuff I can emulate on my own...
May wind up grabbing the vic 20 model if it comes stateside.