How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Post by Betagam7 »

Speaking of a similar graphical style in games. Does anyone else feel like the PC Engine has a VERY distinct graphical style for many of its games?

I'm talking about the Geiger-esque, black and purple hue, bio-metallic style found in a large number of its games. It's a very distinct style that I can't quite put my finger on but instantly makes me think of this particular system when I see it in a game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yep, it's a bit more distinct than the SNES and Genesis' personalities I'd say.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The PCE color palette does have a bias, but the forget which colors are stronger and weaker. Maybe fewer shades of red.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Rondo of Blood makes me think of red, lol.

It's pretty cool and interesting how different Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood look, very different flavors.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I beat my first PC Engine game tonight. I've beaten others on the Wii VC but this was the first one downed on actual hardware:

The game was Gomola Speed.

My God, what were they thinking with the difficulty spike in this game!

After giving you passwords for each of the first 20 stages the game removes them for the final five. The first one is a difficult boss fight, two easy stages then follow before a nightmare penultimate stage that nearly had me reduced to a quivering wreck of rage. The final boss was almost relaxing by comparison but I struggle to explain the thinking behind the late spike in difficulty.

Thankfully I found a debug code that let me input passwords for the final five stages or I may have flung the Hu Card into the sea by now.

Crazy last minute difficulty aside though, I really enjoyed this unusual mixture of Gauntlet and Snake. It's also another game that uses the PC Engine style of bio-organic looking backgrounds...and the music on some stages seems to be a knock off of 'Don't Fear the Reaper'.

A very odd but fun game that has left me with a blister on my thumb from all those dpad circles!

Now, can anyone tell me the meaning of the word "Gomola"?
colorcomputerstore

Post by colorcomputerstore »

I picked up tons of PC Engine Japanese games in Japan. Now I am waiting for my system to come over. Also got a few controllers. Looking forward to finally playing on a 'real' PC Engine. Thought the HU Card games were very reasonable in price.
Carlos Camacho
The Color Computer Store
http://www.ebay.com/usr/colorcomputerstore
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I got a copy of Ys 1&2 for TGCD and Ys IV for PCECD in the mail before I left for BronyCon last week, so I may replay Ys at some point in the future. :D
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Three damn hours trying a failing to beat stage 135 of Populous, everytime I got close to catching him up he would spam the hell out of knights and volcanoes. At one point i flooded the map thinking I'd kill off most of his men as he was on the low ground, however I forgot that the water (or lava) was only harmful on this stage, not fatal and so he just rebuilt! :evil: Eventually I went for armageddon just to end my suffering! Strangely, I didn't feel as frustrated as you might expect as it's such a curiously relaxing game to play.

I expect I'll be back for more tomorrow!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Any TG16/PC Engine shmup fans want to help me proof my upcoming shmup guide?
I've got a lot of it fleshed out, but could use an extra set or two of eyes for content issues and grammar/spelling check.
PM me, if you're interested!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, I’m gonna have to sign off on that one. :wink:
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.