Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Have you played ATARI today!!!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Apparently, the game is very just OK. The reviews I’ve read so far state that the concept is very cool and that the story is funny. The execution is lacking a bit, apparently, and the difficulty is uneven. I’ll still probably pick it up, but I’ll likely wait for a sale.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

This is how I remember Bentley Bear:

Looks like Atari Mania only has a physical release via Limited Run? Oof.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This is how I remember Bentley Bear:

Looks like Atari Mania only has a physical release via Limited Run? Oof.

Yeah. Definitely not in for that one (especially since they’re putting out a physical version of Radiant Silvergun at about the same time…Must…resist…)
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I have the Centipede Arcade1Up, which includes Crystal Castles. It's my favorite game on the machine.

Unfortunately, though, it's possible to spin the trackball fast enough that it no longer reads correctly. leading to Bently just stuttering around a few pixels instead of zipping across the screen.

This wound up being my limiting factor-- trying to stay just under the cusp of the enforced max speed.

I don't know how this compares with the arcade. I mean, presumably you can't spin the arcade trackball so fast that it fails to read correctly, but it may be gated slower so that you max out at a speed below what I was getting. I could replace the gates in the trackball, but I'd just be lowering my max possible speed.

I don't have particularly fast hands, so I'm sure I'm not special in encountering this.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've read mixed things on the arcade1up track balls. The tempest machine is $200 right now and I'm tempted (because it has crystal castles); not sure I'm gonna go for it though.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Yeah, I saw teh $200 tempest Arcade1Up on Slickdeals.

If I didn't already own the Asteroids and Centipede machines I would get it at that price for the selection of games included. And I really like the look of their cabinets. I was lucky enough to get the Asteroids machine for $79. I did have to replace the spinner, because the stock spinner was terrible. I did grease my trackball on the Centipede cabinet and it helped, but I still don't know what to think about the trackball stutter, and I don't know if they've improved their trackball. I really have had a lot of fun playing Crystal Castles, despite the trackball issue. I made it to board 8-3, I think, which is further than I thought I'd ever get.

After a lot of practice, I went back to a bar that had a Crystal Castles machine, but they had removed it since I had last visited. I had previously been so bad at the game I never would have run into trackball issues if they existed.

Tempest with an improved spinner is really nice. With the stock spinner it's almost unplayable.

I was surprised at how much fun I've had playing Asteroids, though I never mastered it.

Right now I have my Arcade1Ups flanking my giant 4-slot MVS, which is kind of a funny sight.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Atari people are always trying to make Bentley Bear happen.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Wow, was that the joke all along? This bear is so flush with gems that he drives a Bentley?

In my earlier post I was referring to his appearance in Atari Karts, as well as his full-length homebrew platformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixA3EajvCWw&t=2664s
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I dressed as Bentley Bear at my wedding.