Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Let's talk about your NEO GEO collecting + PRICE GUIDES

Post by Tanooki »

It's actually a solid little game but as your August post pointed out dumbasses have skewed things on what is rare versus faux rare to rake in the added coin. Cotton was a US release and easy enough to find in decent numbers in the day at retail and online too and the Japanese one was fairly common as well. Now they get stupid pricing. Rockman is notably more rare and it will go a little less which is crazy. There are some games that got lower runs but nothing like the post-US english stuff or oddball Japanese such as Crush Roller and Magical Drop yet look at what people pay on those.

Factors like that made my last buy be many many months ago be a game only price on a complete box set for Biomotor Unitron, and I'm still eyeing for the overly common yet oddly not showing on ebay a lot lately baseball stars. Outside of that I got RetroHQ's NGPC SD Kit instead of ponying up for Cotton and Rockman I once owned.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Tanooki wrote:It's actually a solid little game but as your August post pointed out dumbasses have skewed things on what is rare versus faux rare to rake in the added coin.

I'm enjoying it quite a lot. It's a little minimalist in terms of presentation but I don't understand the poor reviews I'd previously seen deriding it as one of the worst games on the system. I haven't really played the other Cool Borders games so perhaps it was something about it being too different but to me it plays just fine.

Fortunately the previous owner hadn't made it very far so I've been able to experience unlocking stuff. I've completed the first two sets of courses and unlocked the fourth. There looks like one more to unlock and also something labelled as ?????????? in the options menu.

I have fond memories of Paperboy on the C64 when I was a kid so this reminds me of that and I've no problems with the controls once I worked them out. Definately worth picking up the Japanese version since it plays in English and doesn't cost stupid dollars. I guess the only downside is that there won't be much replay value beyond the endless mode once everything is beaten.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I can see that and lucky how it wasn't already opened up. NGPC games save to the very chip the game is on so you can't just erase stuff if there isn't an overwrite or erase y/n choice given as there's no battery to pull.

To me playing it kind of reminded me of SkiFree for Windows, just a little differently involved and a bit more detailed.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Was surprised to finish a race in Cool Borders and see the credits roll...as I was only halfway through the third set. Well that unlocked a couple of things, the next track and
snowgirl mode - essentially an extra character of a snowgirl. That's what the ???????? in the options menu was hiding. interesting that they did the non-traditional gender swap
. The challenge now is to finish all of the stages.
Alucard

Post by Alucard »

Apologies for the necro-bump. Imho NeoGeo maybe the oddman out from other mainstream names, but it has a special place in my heart. I only have the NeoGeo GoldX, a couple of the color pocket handhelds, and a CDZ with about 10 games for it.
My meager collection https://www.flickr.com/photos/152642275@N06 still updating