Have you played ATARI today!!!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Have you played ATARI today!!!

Post by Anapan »

Man, you're gonna have to stick around a lot longer to match your avatar.
Happy birthday, and congrats on the new console.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

while sorting through my old pics i found my Christmas '82. Space Invaders, Combat (had a telegames system so not my packin), breakout, and pacman. I got the system in '81 where it stayed until a yard sale in'87, replaced by a deluxe NES set. of course I bought all this back, and then some, 20 years later lol.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome pick, stickem. There are so many things in there to admire. Thanks for sharing!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

That's picture is so 80's! ChevyNova!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I actually did play my Atari today, knocking out both the 2600 and 7800 ports of Capcom’s Commando. They are both shockingly good.

Along with Taito’s Front Line and SNK’s Ikari Warriors, Commando is one of the first “military guys running around shooting stuff” games, and the 2600 version is as close as I’ve seen any commercial release get to Halo 2600. The graphics and, remarkably, the sound are both pretty good, and the game’s a lot of fun. The 7800 version is even better and, arguably one of the system’s best games. It looks, plays, and sounds better than the NES port, and it is genuinely fun. I highly recommend it.

I also picked up two 2600 games from a local video game store today: Space Chase and Star Ship. With these acquisitions, I need only two more Apollo games to complete that part of my collection. I’m also closing in on a complete set of Atari “text label” games.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I've always thought the Retron 77 was slick.

Great pick stickem. So much 80s!

I've never played 2600 Commando but will have to give that a try soon. 7800 Commando is VERY impressive. I also think Mario Bros, Ikari Warriors, Donkey Kong, Rampage, & Xevious are solid showcases for the system. Speaking of ... have you seen Vicki & Ricki 7800 homebrew :shock:

https://youtu.be/UAyCldQTqjI

The 7800 is a fun oddity & I find myself emulating it often. My kiddos also really enjoy the simple arcade games - Food Fight, Ms Pac Mac, Dig Dug. You won't find me complaining about Centipede or Choplifter 8)

The 7800 has one of the crazy release stories... the initial consoles sat in a warehouse, fully finished from 1984 to 1986 until Jack Tramiel decided to finally release it. He shelved it & focused on PC division after purchasing Atari. Might've be a different legacy if it had 2 years more steam from '84 vs just a budget $80 alternative to the NES in '86.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I"ve been in the lookout for a complete Commando for the 7800 collection for awhile. They don"t show up often and ain't cheap. 9ne if my favorite games growing up. Glad to know it plays well.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:I"ve been in the lookout for a complete Commando for the 7800 collection for awhile. They don"t show up often and ain't cheap. 9ne if my favorite games growing up. Glad to know it plays well.

Yeah man, good one. The cart also has the additional POKEY chip in it for better audio. Stands out. 1 of 2 games that use it. Otherwise, the system shared same audio as the 2600.

See, we played a lot of Commando on the NES. One of the few times the 7800 version is often considered better.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

The 7800 was much better at moving sprites around and had more colors. Resolution sucked, though
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Jagosaurus wrote:Speaking of ... have you seen Vicki & Ricki 7800 homebrew :shock:

My 7800 still gets a fair bit of love from me, especially as I find that small pads like the NES controllers are more painful to use these days. I got myself a proper arcade stick for the 7800 and have a blast. The backwards compatibility makes it even more special (and, honestly, worth owning). Have a dozen homebrew games for it and the 2600, too, which really extends its life.

Don't both with Vicki & Ricki, though. The prices are outrageous on it.