Official Atari Jaguar Games to XB, PS, & Switch

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Official Atari Jaguar Games to XB, PS, & Switch

Post by Jagosaurus »

Big '22 December Update:
This Jaguar emulator was released & is almost 100% compatible with [retail] carts.

All retail carts booting, 2 or 3 with caveats:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/34437 ... niversary/

___ OP:

ICYMI - The Atari 50th Anniversary Collection will include 6 Jaguar games we know of so far:

- Atari Karts
- Cybermorph
- Fight for Life
- Missile Command 3D
- Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy
- Tempest 2K

[Edit/add 10/8/22]
---
3 more Jaguar games added:
Evolution Dino Dudes
Club Drive
Ruiner Pinball
----

As shown in trailer:
https://youtu.be/CQKwj_hi-Gc

Via a new Jaguar emulator:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DickWhitehou ... 7485777921

Thoughts? My high level take...

Atari Karts is super expensive so nice to see it included.

Cybermorph is actually much better than the rap it gets thanks to AVG & Skylar's (yes, Green face woman has a name) famous tag line.

Missile Command 3D will be fun to try. Also an expensive one. Fun fact, this is compatible with the unreleased VR headset.

Tempest 2K is as good as you hear. Excited to have the OG Jeff Minter version playable on modern systems.

TMcF & FFL I could do without although they both have an interesting development history. Some Sega AM2 & Virtua Fighter roots in there. Always welcome from a preservation standpoint.

Going to be a trip playing Cybermorph in 4K :lol:. Really cool to see the Jag even recognized by "Atari." Hopefully more Jaguar games are added or the emulator gets released to the community.
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Re: Official Atari Jaguar Games to XB, PS, & Switch

Post by Ziggy »

Whoa, these were all previously exclusive to the Jaguar? I went from not at all being interested in this collection to now being interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Whoa, these were all previously exclusive to the Jaguar? I went from not at all being interested in this collection to now being interested.

Yessir. All Jag exclusives.

Ive read over the years the PS1/SS ports of T2K were changed enough to avoid paying royalties to Jeff Minter & others. So Tempest X3 is more of a T2K remix vs a port. Thanks corporate America. I've played both fairly extensively & they are different, but definitely have a lot in common too.

Hoping the community gets ahold of the emu which I assume is optimized for each of these 6... or at least Atari releases some additional Jag games down the road within the collection.

bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'm really interested in what they do with the 5200 games. Has there ever been a compilation of 5200 games? I can't recall any and I always assumed it was because of the numberpad on the controller.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

This is looking pretty cool!
I know it's a long shot, but would really love to have Aliens vs Predator on there :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

bmoc wrote:I'm really interested in what they do with the 5200 games. Has there ever been a compilation of 5200 games? I can't recall any and I always assumed it was because of the numberpad on the controller.

Atari Flashback Classics is arcade/2600/5200.

Still pales in comparison to what this new compilation is offering. My body is ready.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hm, @bmoc - good point. Too many Atari Flashbacks & collections out there to keep track of, but 5200 is definitely neglected. I've gained an odd appreciation for the Atari 8 bit computers over the recent years, so will be checking those 52K games out... without the terrible controller 8)
[Edit: missed Bone's post]

@Nick - would be crazy if they figured out those licensing rights with Fox/Disney lol. Potential option for you...

For anyone interested in Jaguar (and 3DO) emulation, check out the Project Pheonix emulator. It's a bit of a niche emu that I'm surprised hasn't garnered more community attention. Seems to run many Jag (and 3DO) games well, AvP included. You'll need the English patch. Jag emu has been notoriously tricky thanks to the hardware design. On my list to try soon.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

racketboy wrote:This is looking pretty cool!
I know it's a long shot, but would really love to have Aliens vs Predator on there :)

If, somehow, they included AvP on there, I would faint. I’m excited enough for the collection as is.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Don't think I mentioned we're now hearing November release date.

Here's to hoping more games are added over time. Would enjoy seeing Iron Soldier & IS2 as other notable Jaguar exclusives. The 3rd game in the series later hit the PS1 & Nuon.

Super Burnout (super scaler inspired moto racer) is very high on my list but was essentially an indie game. Wonder who owns those rights today...

Assuming Jeff Minter's Defender 2K is owned by Williams?

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »