Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
racketboy
Site Admin

Good Reproduction Sega CD / Saturn Manuals?

by racketboy Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Does anyone know of a place that does good reproduction manuals (with actual pages) for the Sega CD that will fit the standard NTSC cases? There's a few games I'd like to get like Final Fight with and original disc, but I'd like a case that looks like it belongs with the rest of the set instead of the cardboard box.

Back liner to match would be great as well.

Thinking about doing the same with a couple of the expensive shmups too for now -- dunno.
Ziggy587

Re: Good Reproduction Sega CD / Saturn Manuals?

by Ziggy587 Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 am

Would you be opposed to making your own? It's actually quite easy and you wouldn't need a lot of supplies outside of a printer with decent quality with duplex functionality. The harder part is finding scans of the manual you want to reproduce that are high enough resolution and aren't locked in a PDF. Software can duplex print the pages into a booklet for you, so you don't have to worry about how to arrange them all for printing (you just need the individual pages). All you really need, in addition to the printer, is the right kind of paper and a "long reach" stapler. For a booklet, you may want to "presentation" paper, at least for the cover. For the back / spine, you'll probably want a heavier stock. Use a straight edge to make a crease for the spine since heavier stock paper is hard to fold with a perfect crease.

I've been making repro instruction manuals lately. I've been making them for electronics and power tools, but I haven't made any for games yet. I've been thinking about it, I just haven't gotten round to it yet.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:50 am

I've thought about doing it and the concept sounds fun if I had a bunch of extra time. But right now I wanted to focus my available time on content work -- especially if there is somebody out there that does it already :)
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:57 pm

racketboy wrote:available time

Say no more. :lol:
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:31 am

There are some sellers on ebay selling "custom manual reprints" but I personally have trouble supporting them as these will eventually make their way back into the market (either on purpose by dubious sellers, many trades down the line, collection sell offs, unfortunately - even deaths years from now, etc). They look good... too good.

I have no problem with the DVD style cases for disc based games or clam shells for carts. When you start reprinting boxes, creating new "replacement" cart labels, making high quality pressed CDRs, and great looking manuals... it makes me scared to buy anything valuable off ebay. It's a slippery slope.

Just my 2 cents... and that was me avoiding the soap box :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:04 am

Jagosaurus wrote:There are some sellers on ebay selling "custom manual reprints" but I personally have trouble supporting them as these will eventually make their way back into the market (either on purpose by dubious sellers, many trades down the line, collection sell offs, unfortunately - even deaths years from now, etc). They look good... too good.

I have no problem with the DVD style cases for disc based games or clam shells for carts. When you start reprinting boxes, creating new "replacement" cart labels, making high quality pressed CDRs, and great looking manuals... it makes me scared to buy anything valuable off ebay. It's a slippery slope.

Just my 2 cents... and that was me avoiding the soap box :lol:

Well most of my wants are for items that are not items that were made originally. The early Sega CD Releases like Final Fight CD and Sewer Shark never got a plastic case release with the newer-gen artwork accents.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 am

Ahhh yeah I forget about those cardboard boxes and didn't distinguish that in OP. For shelf appeal someone would have to create a back insert as that is what is visible on the spine.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:40 pm

I started a new thread about Genesis case/cover inserts (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=53822 )
But also re-stumbled on this thread.

I’ve picked up a couple reproductions that have fairly nice manuals, but the paper stocks may be the biggest trick on things like this.
A lot of times for covers and such, they use a thicker photo paper that just doesn’t feel right.

Of course, standard paper is rather matte and probably won’t be able to replicate the photo quality and also won’t feel right.

I’m wondering if there’s a common paper type that has kinda a “satin” finish that isn’t quite glossy but holds printing well and has something that’s more like what Genesis covers are printed on.

Any printing experts out there that can give insights?
I wish I could tap some of my commercial printing connections, but having the copyrighted material situation makes this such a challenge to get high-end professionals involved.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media