Reducing Wrinkles in Game Cover Inserts

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
racketboy
Site Admin

Reducing Wrinkles in Game Cover Inserts

Post by racketboy »

So I got a good deal on Rogue Leader for Gamecube (FINALLY!) today
It does have some wrinkles in the cover.
It's not a huge deal, but I thought this would be good to know for sprucing up games, but also trying to restore something of more value.

Here's my game -- not too bad, but might be nice to experiment with
rogue-gc.jpg
rogue-gc.jpg (195.93 KiB) Viewed 19824 times

We had this thread from a while back, but everyone dove into reprinting inserts...
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16017

On a Reddit thread, I saw a couple comments, but curious on your take:

Ironing actually works great. Just put it underneath a shirt or something and iron over top. There is essentially no way that you will burn the paper unless you leave the iron directly on the paper for an extended period of time.

The fibers that make up the paper are now permanently in that wrinkled shape (like a bent spring). The only thing you can do is dampen them again and then make sure they dry in a flattened shape. Basically, you'd be ironing the pages as if they were clothing, on very low heat.
If that sounds like a stupid idea, it's because it probably is, sorry. Maybe if the cover was in really bad condition it would be worth a shot (and all the work), but nothing you can do will restore them to the original condition. Odds are my trick will still leave the fibers in a tighter shape (aka, they shrank), but at least they would be in a more regular pattern.

've ironed crinkled game art in the past - I use a steam-generating iron and iron the cover inside a clean tea towel folded over so that I don't scratch the printed material. The steam makes the cover slightly floppy, too, so after ironing I leave it under a stack of heavy books to flatten (still inside the tea towel). This evens out the crinkles but of course doesn't fix the discolouration.

On a side note, what's your thoughts on touching up those dark edges? I wouldn't touch up a rare game, but it's tempting to use a black marker on this :)
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Reducing Wrinkles in Game Cover Inserts

Post by bmoc »

My wife irons the tissue paper from gift bags so that she can reuse it later. I don't see why it would not work with most types of paper. Putting some cloth on top of the paper seems like a good tip to prevent damage. Incidentally I think my copy of Rogue Squadron II is doing the same thing. It has just never bothered me enough to do anything about it. 99% of the time I am looking at the spine anyway.

As for fixing up the corners, I've used a Sharpie on the edges of reproduction inserts I've made for my own collection. It works quite well. Since it is such a common game, I'd say go for it.