Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: [GUIDE/INFO] Flash Carts, ODE, and more!

by nightrnr Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Well, there's one of the Parodius games that require one of the special chips. Also Metal Combat, but that's a Super Scope game (so unless you game on a CRT...).

As for Mega Man X2 and X3, there's always Mega Man X collection for PS2, which I believe is still cheap.

The 2 Kirby games listed are on the Wii Kirby collection.

So if you game on other systems, you are not missing a whole lot (Mario RPG being the most notable title).

I have to admit that Doom and Street Fighter Alpha 2 are both just technical feats, and better enjoyed elsewhere. But I totally get the appeal; I own both, and still plan on trying them out on my SD2SNES (or FXPak or whatever it's called now).

My SD card I was using for my SD2SNES doesn't save or erase anymore, so I'm using it on my cheapo Super UFO Pro 8 (loads firmware from the cart and uses a save battery, so long as you only play through one save game at a time). It's in my beater system (shell of the system is yellow and all cracked to hell, and I kind of like it).
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri May 28, 2021 7:38 pm

nightrnr wrote:Whelp, I installed my Neo SD Loader but it's mostly a bust.

Did you ever get this figured out?
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat May 29, 2021 12:24 am

The Super SD System 3 is being discontinued. Terra Onion is replacing it with a new device. https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/23- ... 3_pro.html

It is very similar to the Super SD System 3 but it has HDMI out in addition to RGB out. It also has the capability to run open source FPGA cores. NES is apparently already working. I'd bet that Master System is not far off (since they all use a two button controller). That price tag tho.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat May 29, 2021 7:40 am

bmoc wrote:The Super SD System 3 is being discontinued. Terra Onion is replacing it with a new device. https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/23- ... 3_pro.html

It is very similar to the Super SD System 3 but it has HDMI out in addition to RGB out. It also has the capability to run open source FPGA cores. NES is apparently already working. I'd bet that Master System is not far off (since they all use a two button controller). That price tag tho.

The original SSDS3 had a price drop to 182 Euro, so this new SHDS3 is a 50 Euro increase at 232 Euros. If you're not interested in HDMI output and running other console cores, you could look at this as having to pay an extra 50 Euros for features you don't need or want.

I know they had a YouTube video to announce this, but I haven't watched it, so I don't know if this was already covered. But I'm speculating that the price drop of the SSDS3 might have been because the hardware was getting cheaper. And now they might of had to shift to a newer FPGA if the old one was getting phased out. Which explains the increase in cost, and could explain the extra features like HDMI and new cores if the new FPGA is more powerful than the old one. We've seen this happen before, the Sd2snes Pro for example. Also, IIRC the SHDS3's 232 price point is what the SSDS3 use to cost before the price drop.

So you could look at this as having to pay an extra 50 Euro for features you don't want. Or if you bought the SSDS3 before the price drop, you could look at this as paying the same price for less features. :lol:
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 29, 2021 8:52 am

I mean, it also allows you to upgrade you PC Engine to a SuperGrafx!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat May 29, 2021 9:01 am

marurun wrote:I mean, it also allows you to upgrade you PC Engine to a SuperGrafx!

Oh, that's awesome! I just kind of glossed over the specs. I saw that it mentioned SuperGrafx, but I just assumed it meant that you can use it with that system (much like how you can with the SSDS3).
marurun

by marurun Sat May 29, 2021 6:28 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:I mean, it also allows you to upgrade you PC Engine to a SuperGrafx!

Oh, that's awesome! I just kind of glossed over the specs. I saw that it mentioned SuperGrafx, but I just assumed it meant that you can use it with that system (much like how you can with the SSDS3).

No, apparently it can use the FPGA to replicate the second graphics chip, the extra memory, and the graphics coordinator chip. I'm still trying to figure out how that all works out. I didn't realize so much of the system bus was exposed on the expansion port, but in order for that trick to work that has to be the case.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sun May 30, 2021 4:05 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
nightrnr wrote:Whelp, I installed my Neo SD Loader but it's mostly a bust.

Did you ever get this figured out?

Sadly not :cry:

It really bums me out actually. It's the only ODE situation that hasn't panned out for me. Maybe I should look at that as lucky, especially because it's the least necessary of all my systems.

But I have no idea how to make do with it as is. It needs either a better attachment board to the chip it connects to... or I need to solder a wire to each leg of the chip and board (I could do it in theory, but it wouldn't be pretty and I don't want to risk damage to the system.

The creator basically ignored any further emails.
To his credit, he DID refund me, but cut off communication afterwards.
He was initially supposed to send me a replacement, but it never arrived. The tracking never got beyond prepared for shipment (actually I think it did update after a few months, but to an address I don't even recognize, so weird). Clearly something got messed up somewhere and he just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. I understand to a degree but it's still disappointing.

I would gladly pay for another, but he's done with orders now.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun May 30, 2021 7:19 am

Actually, he has one last order of 100 units or so. The sale opens tomorrow morning: http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/sale.php

But yeah, if all you need is that replacement board, he open sourced the project already. It's possible to get that board yourself. I can help you with that if you want.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Actually, he has one last order of 100 units or so. The sale opens tomorrow morning: http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/sale.php

But yeah, if all you need is that replacement board, he open sourced the project already. It's possible to get that board yourself. I can help you with that if you want.

Hey, thanks for the heads up (and the offer for help). I totally would have missed the (15 minute) order window otherwise. I swear I checked on that just a week ago.

Anyway, I just ordered another one (kind of wanted the micro SD version of the other board anyway).
I insured it this time though just to be cautious.

I'm stoked! :D
Return to Archiving & Repro - Game Media