BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Discussion of game backup, reproduction, burning, and ripping. Covers ROM backup, cartridge reproduction, optical disc ripping, burning, and storage. Focus on archival purposes and not deceptive selling.
dia436

Re: BURNING GUIDE for all images using only free software

Post by dia436 »

Thank you very much for your tutorial. Its very helpful to us beginners.
I downloaded a PC game and followed your instructions. I can't seem to find the CUE/MDS file on its folder to mount it. All I did was download, extract and play. It has its own self extractor then you can play. Its all a bunch of folders and the application itself. I want to burn it to DVD, using Daemon Tools lite as instructed, so that my nephew can play it.

Am I doing something wrong?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

If you didn't have to mount anything before playing/installing then it's probably not a disc image. Did you click on an .exe file to launch or install the game? Sounds like you don't have a disc image of this game, just a copy and paste of the disc. If it works that way, then it's perfectly fine, but you don't need to follow this guide to burn it. You don't even need to burn it, you can just put it on a thumb drive to give to your nephew if possible. If it's small enough, you can email it.

But if you wanna burn it to a disc, just use Windows Explorer to burn (I'm assuming you have Windows XP or higher). You can burn the compressed file you downloaded to a disc (then your nephew can extract it onto his computer) or you can burn it already extracted. When you extracted the game, did it extract to a folder or loose files? If it extracted to loose files, I would suggest creating a new folder and re-extracting the game into it (if you haven't already) to avoid losing parts of it. So, burning it is very simple. Right-click on the compressed file or extracted folder (the root folder that contains everything) and select "send to" then click on your burner, "DVD-RW Drive (D:)" for example. If you're using Windows Vista or 7, your burner will automatically eject and a window will pop up "Please insert a disc". I think it guides you pretty well from there. If you're using XP, after you click send to and then your burner, a bubble will pop up at the system tray "you have files waiting to burn" or something similar. Click the bubble, then I believe the left hand side of the window has the options to start the burning process. It's very simple.
dia436

Post by dia436 »

Thank you so much for your help, I've done it. My nephew will enjoy the game.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Thanks for the guide - I used it to burn 3DO and PC Engine games also (ImgBurn works for both - they normally come as cue/bins or .iso).
sgt.flanders
16-bit

Post by sgt.flanders »

Wow, I cannot get this to work for the life of me. I download the rom, I verify its region, I test it in an emulator both as a disc image and as a physical disc, and I still can't get either game to work on both of my Saturns.

Don't pay the ferryman.
ammazzatartufi

Post by ammazzatartufi »

hi there.i have a big problem and i'll be thankful if someone helps me.
I have a japanese 3do and i can't burn games...i have tried with toast titanium, with imgburn, with discjuggler at different speed (like 4x, 8x, 16x) but nothing...my 3do just spit out the cds.
some games came with only .iso; others with .iso and .cue; others with .bin and .cue. (i don't know what the hell cue and bin are).All the images (or roms ect...) are perfectly working beacause i tested them with some emulators...please help. thank you
jamescurtis24
8-bit

Post by jamescurtis24 »

Hi guys.

Before I start, I should ask... does the Sega Saturn still need a modchip to play burnt games? Because I've made no mods whatsoever. When I read the tutorial, I assumed this new updated guide allowed to play these games without mods. So that could be why the discs aren't working...

I got Mega Man X4

I have a .BIN file at around 500 MB, a Cue file around 1kb.

I opened image burn, clicked on write image to disc. I selected the cue, I selected burn at 8x (but then I noticed it said apparently the slowest my drive could burn was x10)

Anyways, I burned the game successfully. Put it into my Sega Saturn, but the Saturn is recognizing it as if it's a CD with music tracks. I did check, and the file is set for NTSC U.

Any ideas?

P.S.

Unfortunately I don't have any Saturn discs so I can't figure out if it's a problem with how I burned the game, or how the laser itself.

Also while burning, this random thing happens where my disc tray pops open and I get a message on IMG Burn saying all attempts to automatically close the disc drive failed, and I have to close it manually and then it continues to burn... I can't imagine that being good

And I'm using memorex discs
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

The Saturn does not play burns without either modding, or using the swap-trick method with a real Saturn game.

If the game is showing up as a cd, with the music from the game, then you burned correctly I'd guess. If your drive only supports 10x and up for those discs, then it is probably capable of burning accurately at that speed (Mine does the same thing, and I opt to burn at x16 speed, have not had any issues yet.)

I also use Memorex, so you should be fine there. Best bet is probably to find a cheapo Saturn sports title or something, both to test the system and to swap-trick in your burns until you can get a mod chip (less wear on the system than swapping constantly).

I hope that helps
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The Sega CD does not require a mod chip to be able to play burns, that's probably what you were thinking of.
jamescurtis24
8-bit

Post by jamescurtis24 »

Ziggy587 wrote:The Sega CD does not require a mod chip to be able to play burns, that's probably what you were thinking of.

True enough.

So the swap trick. Can I just use any Sega Saturn real game to boot any Sega Saturn burned game? Does it require any changes or modifications to the console? (I will look up a tutorial but if it requires modding to the console I won't even bother)

Thanks.