Street Fighter II: Rainbow Edition

Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Street Fighter II: Rainbow Edition

Post by Raging Justice »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1qaz3-62aM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxV2fwqrhxc

Anyone encounter these bootlegs in the arcades back in the 90s? I remember when I first saw these versions of Street Fighter II in my local arcades, they blew my mind.

"How is he doing mid air fireballs? Why is everything so fast?"

Eventually Capcom would put some of these elements into their legit games. Mid air projectiles would become normal in stuff like X-Men vs Street Fighter, but back then it was crazy to see. Would we even have the VS games (Marvel vs Capcom, X-Men vs Street Fighter, etc.) were it not for this?

It's an interesting little slice of arcade history. Much in the way I'd find myself wondering about the various secrets in Mortal Kombat II, I remember wondering just what other kinds of crazy things could be discovered in Street Figher II: Rainbow Edition
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter II: Rainbow Edition

Post by Anapan »

I wish!
One time I was walking down the original "Skid Row" in Vancouver; Giving out cigarettes as I do, and stopping by the local pubs to smoke. I had this local called Johnny I paid in junk-food and smokes to direct me to the best pawn-shops but mostly to make sure the local gangs left me alone (without a guide I was almost jumped the previous time). Things were going great! I earlier got that one missing comic I was missing "Aristocratic Xtraterrestrial Time Traveling Thieves#7", and just planned to slide through the entire Hastings - East to West as I did for fun back then - A four-hour hike if I timed it right. I stopped into this one iconic hotel's basement bar near the phone booth Boon used. It had an original Ms. Pacman with a double-speed chip installed and in excellent condition. I easily made the high score, but I wanted to see what I could really do. I had my now-friend cheering me on, and I played for over an hour. I found my limit. I returned a few times, but my high score stayed. Fun times. Couldn't find my score looking through phone backups. I think I was using a Motorola V975 with a double-sized battery. Must've been the phone that got lost in a vehicular rollover into a ditch.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter II: Rainbow Edition

Post by Note »

Interesting to hear about how this version ended up being made and put into the market. I didn't encounter any counterfeit or hacked versions of Street Fighter II back in the 90s, but around like 2012 or so, I visited a bar/arcade establishment called Two Bits Retro Arcade in lower Manhattan. When I started playing the Street Fighter II cab there, which I thought was just a regular version of Champion Edition, I realized it was very different. The game was really sped up and moves were happening all over the place. Lol. At the time, I wasn't aware of Rainbow Edition. It was cool to run into it and mess around with it for a bit, but it's not something I'd actively seek out.

Anapan, that sounds like an adventure in Vancouver!