Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

How is the stick in the NEO-GEO X controller/stick

by fuctfuct Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:11 pm

Found new ones for fairly cheap. I'd like to buy one and replace the buttons with Seimitsu 24mm clones. Mostly for the aesthetic NEO-GEO colors. Looks easy enough. Might even pad hack it to 360. The stick however doesn't look like its easy to swap.

I would be using it to mess about in arcade emulators. Not going to EVO or anything. lol. I'd prob be okay if the stick is not complete trash. I've used a "Zippy" stick before, and it was fine. It's hard to find any information about sticks / buttons. Seems everyone who talks about them are elitist snobs and only the very best will do :D

Does anyone here own one?

Here's one with new buttons and a battop for example.

Here's an OG one with a Sanwa. Notice the screw holes.. :(
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: How is the stick in the NEO-GEO X controller/stick

by Jagosaurus Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:57 pm

We did have a few forum members buy this system. I remember some disappointing feedback & BST threads in the following months. Not aimed at the controller itself that in recall, just overall.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:22 am

I own one, it is okay for what it is. I am not an elitist by any means but this is how i feel about the stick itself.

- It is super light, like really light.
- The buttons have a fair bit of wiggle that does not feel natural, and they feel 'soft' like there is not enough residence, maybe the springs are weak or something, they are hard soldered in so you would need a bit of soldering ability to swap them out.
- It is really loud, I don't own a Neo Geo to compare, but it is really loud and remember people saying it was louder than the OG.

Other than that, if you can get it cheap, they will get the job done, but other than the physical size, don't get one expecting it to be of the same class as the original.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:44 am

I'm okay with soldering. I'm more than confident that i can swap the buttons. I'll probably gut the entire thing and use a different USB encoder anyways. Likely a 360 pad hack since i have a few wired 360 controllers in my junk bin.

I did a bit of looking around after my post and, yea, a lot of people complain about the weight. People have solved this by duct taping rolls of pennys or tire weights inside it, lol.

I also read that the sticks switches can be easily changed. Most people claim its pretty decent after that. I'm probably going to grab one =)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:53 am

I own one as well. I was very disappointed in the stick. It's very light and cheap feeling. Maybe it's actually durable and a good replica of the originals, as I've never used one of those to compare. However, to me, the purchase price would be better put towards a Hori or something.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Buy that new Neo Geo Arcade Pro unit. That has a nice looking stick AND built-in games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:46 pm

marurun wrote:Buy that new Neo Geo Arcade Pro unit. That has a nice looking stick AND built-in games.

Thought about it, but its ugly (IMO) and spendy. And the games play far better in Retroarch.

EDIT
Might just buy one of these cheap Chinese boxes.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DIY-Arcade-Joys ... 4212104102
Thought it would be neat to have a "Neo-Geo" stick but with these i can do anything i want.. and they are cheap as heck.
Return to Arcade