Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

X-Men Six-Player Cab Runs Self-Test When Credit Is Inserted

by GSZX1337 Sun May 20, 2018 10:05 pm

My local arcade has a problem with their X-Men arcade cabinet where whenever a "credit" is inserted the game restarts and runs its self-test. I put credit in quotations because the machine is set to Free Play. I don't know much else about this machine other than I'm willing to fix it for the arcade if I'm able. If you need any more info, I'll try to figure it out for ya.

Thanks in advance,
~gszx1337
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: X-Men Six-Player Cab Runs Self-Test When Credit Is Inser

by JoeAwesome Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am

GSZX1337 wrote:My local arcade has a problem with their X-Men arcade cabinet where whenever a "credit" is inserted the game restarts and runs its self-test. I put credit in quotations because the machine is set to Free Play. I don't know much else about this machine other than I'm willing to fix it for the arcade if I'm able. If you need any more info, I'll try to figure it out for ya.

Thanks in advance,
~gszx1337

AFAIK, X-Men doesn't have a "freeplay" option, so is there an issue with the wiring?
marurun

by marurun Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am

JoeAwesome wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:My local arcade has a problem with their X-Men arcade cabinet where whenever a "credit" is inserted the game restarts and runs its self-test. I put credit in quotations because the machine is set to Free Play. I don't know much else about this machine other than I'm willing to fix it for the arcade if I'm able. If you need any more info, I'll try to figure it out for ya.

Thanks in advance,
~gszx1337

AFAIK, X-Men doesn't have a "freeplay" option, so is there an issue with the wiring?

If it doesn't have a freeplay option in the DIP switches, the arcade operate probably has the coin switch exposed. But you do make a good point. Check all the wiring, make sure things are grounded where they need to be and not where they shouldn't.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 pm

marurun wrote:If it doesn't have a freeplay option in the DIP switches, the arcade operate probably has the coin switch exposed.

I misspoke earlier when I said it was set to freeplay. In lieu of coins, the player presses a white button to "insert a credit" and then the machine exhibits the problems I mentioned.

But you do make a good point. Check all the wiring, make sure things are grounded where they need to be and not where they shouldn't.

I found the manual for the arcade cab at Archive.org, and on page four it shows a diagram of the wiring harness. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the help so far.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Mon May 21, 2018 10:19 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:I found the manual for the arcade cab at Archive.org, and on page four it shows a diagram of the wiring harness. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the help so far.

It's common for boards to go to the test menu if the coin up button is held for a second or two, as the board isn't expecting the coin mech to be stuck. Could that be it?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but I wasn't able to go the arcade when my friend and I originally scheduled so I forgot about this thread. I went with him yesterday and the machine was fixed, so that was anticlimactic. :?
In answer to your question Joe, I don't think I was holding down the insert credit button, so I don't believe the board thinks the "coin mech" is "stuck." However, that was the problem I was able to fix with the BurgerTime machine. :D
Return to Arcade