Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Building a List of Best Neo-Geo MVS Games on a Budget

by racketboy Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I don't know what current going prices are, but here's my suggestion.

1. Samurai Shodown 2
2. Metal Slug
3. Blazing Star
4. Aero Fighters 2

I've got all four of those, and they're definitely my four favorite MVS games.

Cool thanks!
If you had to chose between Blazing Star and Aero Fighters 2, which would you go for?

Maybe I'll bump Pulstar for one of those ;)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Yup, the neo geo forum pricing list shows it I think in the 90-115 range, but it takes all deals into respect with it so as people on that site tend to be nicer than ebay fodder(and the panic fools who inch it higher) it's skewed a hair lower. I've seen it beat that price plenty enough I've not made it a priority since it's on my 161in1. You know I have a very tight budget that mostly responds to me selling off/trading off things so I watch prices.

NG MVS market has gone quite a bit if you're comfy with prices of 2+ years ago. Sure it's cheap compared to the ramp up of Nintendo for years now, and cheap even against what they once MVS or AES retailed for, but they are up. It's why I suggested get a 161in1 in the slot, then go after the games not on it first. $100 for a cart like that or $250 for what you had listed.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 pm

racketboy wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I don't know what current going prices are, but here's my suggestion.

1. Samurai Shodown 2
2. Metal Slug
3. Blazing Star
4. Aero Fighters 2

Cool thanks!
If you had to chose between Blazing Star and Aero Fighters 2, which would you go for?

Personally, I'd pick Aero Fighters 2. There aren't many shumps where you can play as a talking dolphin or a talking baby.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:24 pm

Blazing Star or Aerofighers 2 is a tough call. They're similar in that they're shooters, but otherwise that's about it. They have different craft, areas, enemies, and power up system. I own Sonic Wings 2 (AF2) and I have BS both on my mobile devices and that multicart. I'm not certain I could choose one over the other. I know I'd own it though by now had it not been on that multicart.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:04 pm

racketboy wrote:

1. Samurai Shodown 2
2. Metal Slug
3. Blazing Star
4. Aero Fighters 2

Cool thanks!

Blazing Star plays much closer to Pulsar, but I think I like AF2 more as a game.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Kidpanda
64-bit

by Kidpanda Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 pm

racketboy wrote:

1. Samurai Shodown 2
2. Metal Slug
3. Blazing Star
4. Aero Fighters 2

Cool thanks!

Pulstar is better than Blazing Star. I'd take it over any shootie on the Neo anyday.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Pulstar is like R-Type, so if you're not a big fan of that game it may not float your boat. Not really sure what I'd compare Blazing Star to but it is quite a bit different in style. I am not huge on the R-Type franchise or Pulstar. AF2 is more my thing as well compared to Pulstar too. Andro Dunos is a solid one, feels kind of like Gradius.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Since we have an arcade board now and prices have swung a bit in the last 8 months on the MVS I figured I'd wake this up by doing the Q&A from #1.

1) What's the 4 NG titles you would choose without spending too much (I don't want to set a hard dollar limit, but keep cost in mind)
2) What's 4 others you would have to rotate in occasionally or have in a second cabinet
3) What are some cheap titles that are totally worth accumulating for variety?
4) Which expensive ones are totally worth splurging on for the game as opposed to collectable value?

#1 -- To keep this interesting, no more than a modern console game ($60) for some cheap cart only variety. Neo Turf Masters, Aerofighters 2, Bust-A-Move, and Samurai Shodown III. I would give as a same genre variety swap out: Baseball Stars 2 or League Bowling for sports, Captain Tomaday or Ghost Pilots for a shooter, Panic Bomber or Magical Drop 2 for a puzzle, and Art of Fighting or World Heroes for another fighter.

#2 - Super Dodgeball, Mark of the Wolves, Shock Troopers, and (some version of) Metal Slug if someone had another.

#3 - Totally cheap would be handheld priced ($40 and under) and in that area you have 3 Count Bout (wrestling), Ninja Combat, League Bowling, Baseball Stars Professional, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown 1 and 2, Crossed Swords, (any 4) Fatal Fury, KOF 94-00(minus 98), Puzzle de Pon, Real Bought Fatal Fury(and RB FF Special), Street Hoop, and any World Heroes other than Perfect. All of them have some varying quality that should appeal to someone depending on their tastes.

#4 -- The worthy and expensive? I'd call expensive (cart only) $100 and up. Super Dodgeball, Garou Mark of the Wolves, NAM 1975, Blazing Star, SNK vs Capcom, Metal Slug 3 and 5, Neo Bomberman, and the conversion carts of Ironclad (Bikringer) and Crossed Swords 2 are excellent.

I know I left off some good stuff, but a lack of interest or experience I can't rightly give it a name on the list.

I've been at it since April/May of last year and I've accumulated 39 carts plus that dumb 161in1 bootleg. I've picked off most my games in the under $100 price thankfully with few exceptions due to diligence and a bit of luck. You can see my personal list using my signature link. The most I ever spent on 1 thing was the complete kit contents in a shockbox was for Super Dodgeball at $200 for some perspective, and both full kits went for under $100 (8man and Neo Turf Masters.)
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Tomaday is under $60 now?
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 pm

aaron wrote:Tomaday, Baseball Stars 2, and Ghost Pilots are each under $60 now?

Ftfy, and I would question more, honestly.

Tanooki wrote:The most I ever spent on 1 thing was the complete kit contents in a shockbox was for Super Dodgeball at $200 for some perspective...

"Complete kit contents in a shockbox" =/= a complete kit, completionists.
Return to Arcade