Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
racketboy
Site Admin

Building a List of Best Neo-Geo MVS Games on a Budget

by racketboy Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:52 pm

I've mentioned in another thread that I'm strongly considering picking up a 4-slot MVS cabinet for an arcade setup in a warehouse at work.

We're thinking about requiring quarters for play, but having the proceeds go to charity.

Anyway, I'm hoping to build a bit of a library of MVS carts over the years (maybe to feed a second cabinet later) but cart prices of popular games do add up quickly.

I don't necessarily want to just stock up on a bunch of the cheapest titles, since theoretically only 4 (maybe 8 someday) titles will be active at a time and you want some good variety and quality.

I want to have some hardcore enthusiast interest for myself and a couple others on staff, but also have some titles that may appeal to a more casual crowd as well.

So here's a few questions:
1) What's the 4 NG titles you would choose without spending too much (I don't want to set a hard dollar limit, but keep cost in mind)
2) What's 4 others you would have to rotate in occasionally or have in a second cabinet
3) What are some cheap titles that are totally worth accumulating for variety?
4) Which expensive ones are totally worth splurging on for the game as opposed to collectable value?

I'm using this link for price guide to save me time -- not sure how accurate still
http://www.neogeokult.com/mvs-price-guide/

With that being said, here's some of my early notes:

1) My initial 4:
- King of Monsters ($75) - fun brawler with casual appeal. I have fond memories. Dirt cheap
- Samurai Shodown 2 ($60) - classic fighter that isn't typical. Best in series??? Dirt cheap
- Bust A Move ($100) - one my favorite puzzle games. Pretty good value
- Metal Slug ($200) - inching toward pricy, but essential Neo Geo game

2) Next 4
- Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves ($500) - expensive, but I LOVE this game and I'd love to play on a cab in "public" instead of just the Dreamcast at home.
- Pulstar ($500) - another expensive, but would love to have a great SHMUP without investing in another dedicated non-Neo Geo cab. Worth it? (not played much)
- King of Fighters '98 ($80) - gotta have a KOF somewhere and IIRC, this is regarded as one of the best installments.
- SVC Chaos ($100) - not in love with the game, but I thought it might be a fun value at $100.

3)
Sengoku ($70)
Art of Fighting 3 ($70)
Windjammers ($100)
Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy ($120)

4)
The Last Blade $170
Shock Troopers $200
Wake Waku 7 $200
Magic Drop 3 $200
Twinkle Star Sprites $600 -- probably too expensive, but it's a cool game to wish for ;)
Neo Bomberman $200
Strikers 1945 $230
Aero Fighters 2 $150 -- not especially expensive -- worth it?
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: Building a List of Best Neo-Geo MVS Games on a Budget

by KalessinDB Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:09 pm

So I love some of your picks, but your prices are way off. I don't know if you're pulling AES for some of them? Or if you're looking at prices of full kits (valid if you want them, but if you're just playing them man go cart-only IMO)? Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble is a $30 cart on a forum. Metal Slug is maybe $50-60, MS5 is the most expensive of the series and should barely hit $200 on a forum. Garou: MOTW is an excellent game, but again... $200-250 tops, no way $500. Pulstar is like $300-350 at most from what I've seen. On the flip side, SVC Chaos is deeeeefinitely more than $100 - if you're seeing it at that price, it's either a bootleg or a dedicated board as opposed to a cart - the dedicated boards for that and MS5 tend to be a bit cheaper than the carts. mjmjr's price guide is generally pretty good, though he gave up on updating it here because not many people use it, and those of us that do are all over on Neo-geo.com anyway.

As to your question, my top 4 when I'm having a party usually include:

1: Bust A Move Again
2: KoF (something... usually 98, as you said most people call it the best)
3: Magical Drop II
4: Metal Slug (something... none of my friends are enough into it to care)

Second 4 would probably be:

1: Samurai Shodown (II or, had I infinite money, V Special)
2: Garou: MOTW
3: Sengoku
4: Nightmare in the Dark

My tastes run towards fighters (though I'm not very good) and puzzle games, not so much with the shooters. Truth be told, I like almost every game I get for the Neo, and I'm up to about half of the library now. My general rule is "Do I have spare money? Does this game look fun in youtube videos? If yes to both, buy it"
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Aerofighters 2 that much? You talking a kit, as it should be drastically lower. The neo geo kult isn't the best on price. mjmjr who quit here is over at the neo-geo forum, has an ongoing thread with the average prices of games on the low end (beat up or unoriginal label and shabby plastic to beautiful) for cart only prices.

Personally unless you're just crazy enough to want to blow a budget on original games, I suggest the 161in1 as most of the expensive games on the system are on it. It does need an optional slide mod with a couple pieces soldered on to correct some random audio volume/static issues in some games. The other, the 138in1 has pretty much most the rest the 161 lacks that are expensive(and not) but it won't work in a multi-slot cabinet without a basic mod as it has a daughterboard you can throw a dip switch onto to remedy that cheaply.

If you stuck with the 161in1, and you said budget, so if you were to stay at 100 or less USD the games I noted already I have (8man, NAM, League Bowling, Cyber Lip, and Magician Lord) can be had in a range of $50-100 (a few really push $100, patience needed.)

Your expensive shooter Pulstar is on the cart along with most of the other shooters for the system especially favorites like Blazing Star, Andro Dunos and others, even goofy twinbee like Captain Tomaday.

Your initial 4 are all on that 161, as are your 2nd and 3rd tier lists too. Waku Waku 7 and Twinkle Star Sprites aren't on the 161 but all the others are. They are on that 138in1 I mentioned.

If you have to have real games I can see totally doing it at a slow healthy pace as they can add up, but if you are good with a bootleg option the 161 costs around $100 shipped and you'll save thousands fast. Here's a total list of the cart: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... -Breakdown
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:08 am

Yeah, I can honestly say as far as bang for buck, one of the multi carts is the way to go. I have a consolized 2 slot, and literally just the 161 in 1 cart.

There are a few games I would like to get that aren't on it, but probably 90% of what I would want Neo wise is.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

by Thierry Henry Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:35 am

Tanooki wrote:Your expensive shooter Pulstar is on the cart

I just felt more slowdown here than what I recall (admittedly, many moons ago) from playing it via the original cart. That could just be me, though.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Ya know what, I'm probably looking at the full cart MINT column. I would like the kit thought for the marque artwork and such.

I might consider a multicart at some point, but only to round me out. I don't suppose there's a lot of options for choosing the games included?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:42 pm

You want some fun advice try this: http://www.ebay.com/usr/timchipsfrc?_tr ... 1438.l2754

That guy makes damn near 1:1 quality reproduction mini marquees on the same type of materials SNK used and they go for very cheap (like $10 shipped.) Your most overly common marquees start at around $10 shipped and the more choice games can be $20+.

Here's Pulstar for $8+s/h
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulstar-Neo-Geo ... SwY45UUEoY

I know people on Neo-Geo forums who bought from him and were very happy with the accuracy/quality of them. I was uncertain so I asked there as I figured they'd be the most touchy about it.

He makes them for any game, even those which may not have even had one including the 161in1(1 for it a 2nd for the game listing too.) He has a website you can look up as he'll list far more there than what ebay has.

And no there are no choices on a multicart, they are set.

But, there is a newly developed NeoSD. I think it costs over $400, but you can throw any rom you want on a SD card, slot it into what is basically an everdrive, and run that in your arcade machine. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... flash-card
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 am

I don't know what current going prices are, but here's my suggestion.

1. Samurai Shodown 2
2. Metal Slug
3. Blazing Star
4. Aero Fighters 2

I've got all four of those, and they're definitely my four favorite MVS games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Off the top of my head on your list I think it would be around $30, $50, $120+, $50~ for those 4 games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Tanooki wrote:Off the top of my head on your list I think it would be around $30, $50, $120+, $50~ for those 4 games.

Damn, is Blazing Star really that expensive these days? I got my copy for about $30 or $40 two years ago...
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Arcade