Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: Arcade Cabinet Shopping for the Non-Repair Man...

by chupon Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Ok so that website has bad prices. They are a business so they need to make a huge profit. You want to buy from the individual collector or operator not a business. Also - bronze and silver age games are becoming very expensive. Too collectory in my opinion.

If you want to learn a lot and have time to listen to a podcast - I highly recommend Arcade Outsiders.

*edit - I could talk for hours so I'm out for now unless you PM me. Good luck!
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I think the biggest appeal, in theory, of the LCDs is the maintenance aspect. I'm pretty nervous about stuff going bad...

I might do a MAME cabinet someday, but in a certain way, I like the concept of the limitation of a single game to a machine. I also REALLY like the genuine artwork and the dedicated controls. Most of my top picks have a somewhat specialized look or control setup and a MAME cabinet just wouldn't feel right.

Anyway, here's some of my top picks on my list.
If anybody wants to throw out some reasonable price ranges to pay for a unit in good condition, I'd appreciate it.

X-Men 6-player
Dig Dug
Ms. Pac Man
Street Fighter II
Donkey Kong
Gauntlet
Road Blasters
Neo-Geo 4-Slot
Teenage Mutant Turtles
Mario Bros.
Bubble Bobble
Space Invaders
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Galaga
Turtles in Time
Outrun
Rampage
Moon Patrol
Double Dragon

I'm in the same boat that I'm not looking to do a bunch of work just to save a few hundred dollars. At the same time, I don't want to pay a huge premium that would double the price and limit how many additional units I could get.
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:48 pm

racketboy wrote:Thanks for the tips.

I think the biggest appeal, in theory, of the LCDs is the maintenance aspect. I'm pretty nervous about stuff going bad...

I might do a MAME cabinet someday, but in a certain way, I like the concept of the limitation of a single game to a machine. I also REALLY like the genuine artwork and the dedicated controls. Most of my top picks have a somewhat specialized look or control setup and a MAME cabinet just wouldn't feel right.

If anybody wants to throw out some reasonable price ranges to pay for a unit in good condition, I'd appreciate it. In general - a complete art package will run $300 if someone is doing a run. Simple side arts are $150 to $200 depending on complexity.

X-Men 6-player
Dig Dug
Ms. Pac Man
Street Fighter II
Donkey Kong
Gauntlet
Road Blasters
Neo-Geo 4-Slot
Teenage Mutant Turtles
Mario Bros.
Bubble Bobble
Space Invaders
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Galaga
Turtles in Time
Outrun
Rampage
Moon Patrol
Double Dragon

I'm in the same boat that I'm not looking to do a bunch of work just to save a few hundred dollars. At the same time, I don't want to pay a huge premium that would double the price and limit how many additional units I could get.

I'll take stab at this although I don't keep up with prices like I did year ago. I'm going with dedicated cab prices with a little ware.

X-Men 6-player - $1200 but good luck moving it. Separates into two halves but also has a giant monitor and huge mirror

Dig Dug - $900- used to be way less

Ms. Pac Man - $900 - used to be $300 a few years ago

Street Fighter II - regular SF2 and not CE, Turbo, etc. - $400

Donkey Kong - $1,000

Gauntlet - 4p - $400

Road Blasters - sit down cockpit - $400

Neo-Geo 4-Slot - $400

Teenage Mutant Turtles - Assuming you mean TMNT2 arcade and 4p not 2p - price spikes end of 2015. $1200

Mario Bros. - Playchoice cabs have also spiked in the last two years - $500

Bubble Bobble - Taito cab? $350

Space Invaders - $400

Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Do research on big blue cabs. - $450

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - $450

Galaga - $400

Turtles in Time - $1200

Outrun - Upright - $450 - sitdown - $600

Rampage - $400

Moon Patrol- $500

Double Dragon - $400

You are paying a premium for the dedicated cab but.... Truth is its worth it to get the dedicated. If you don't you'll always regret it.

If I'm way off anyone - feel free to chime in. There was a huge spike earlier this year on the classics and Nintendo arcade stuffs.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:21 pm

THANKS!

What about stand-up Road Blasters? It's what I'm actually used to ;)

And Mario Bros. was this one, not NES/Super Mario Bros, but a Play 10 would be cool too
http://forums.atari.io/uploads/monthly_ ... 105165.jpg
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:23 pm

And man, I wish I could just throw down a few thousand for a handful of those cheaper machines right now :)
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:58 am

Another LCD question: do you think the Neo Geo MVS would be a good fit for an LCD upgrade? (Aspect ratios and such?)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:01 am

Found your old post from 2006 and bumped it. Suggest renaming the Thread "Include Picture Of Your Favorite Cabinet"

What's Your Favorite Arcade Cabinet?
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3146#p3146

racketboy wrote:I think the biggest appeal, in theory, of the LCDs is the maintenance aspect. I'm pretty nervous about stuff going bad...

X-Men 6-player
Dig Dug
Ms. Pac Man
Street Fighter II
Donkey Kong
Gauntlet
Road Blasters
Neo-Geo 4-Slot
Teenage Mutant Turtles
Mario Bros.
Bubble Bobble
Space Invaders
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Galaga
Turtles in Time
Outrun
Rampage
Moon Patrol
Double Dragon

Nothing wrong keeping the original CRT as long as not screen burned or the phosphor faded. The tubes are designed to run all day every day in the Arcades. Though already have years of use, the remaining mileage should be good for decades considering they will not be running every day. A first hand inspection on any cab definitely helps to verify the screen brightness and state of the controls.

A good idea to marathon play runs of each Rom set on your PC emulated. You know the games already, but will they hold interest after a few days of revisit play? This way you are sure you want to invest in a given cabinet.

My picks would absolutely be the unique Eugene Jarvis Robotron, Defender and Stargate cabs! Something about the early Williams Cabs the frenzied gameplay and sounds.

Also the motion control version of Space Harrier, so cool!

Another vintage though you would have to use the original built in Vector Monitor would be Cinematronics Arcade Cabinets. Star Castle, Ripoff and the big bad Cab though very pricey would be Space Wars! Though at that price you could get a Vectrex with many of the Cinematronics games for your den.

Space Wars Cab program in your style of gameplay. The gravity and speed variations really add to the outer space flying physics. I played this back in the day, really miss it, have the Vectrex and PC emulated renditions.

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 am

Nice! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and recommendations and for bringing that old thread back to my attention ;)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:53 am

I'm biased as I have one but it was a logical solution. Neo-geo arcade cabinet. Very simple small board layout as its basically a console in an arcade cabinet. Only worries there is the battery. Games are in big cartridges. Heaps of variety and pretty easy other than a monitor failure to repair. Game fails mail off for repair cheap not the whole arcade board like do many others.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:40 pm

yeah I'm hoping to get an MVS or two :)
I'm actually really excited about the game possibilities there, but man can not live by Neo Geo alone ;)
Return to Arcade