Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
racketboy
Site Admin

Arcade Cabinet Shopping for the Non-Repair Man...

by racketboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:00 am

So at work, we've got a growing staff and a new warehouse with lots of space. I'm thinking about starting to pick up a few arcade cabinets over the next few years.

I know some people like fastbilly1 will scoop up some solid deals on machines in need of work, but that stuff is over my head.

So... anybody have advice on where is the best way to score some good machines in nice shape and at reasonable prices.

Saw this place recommended -- anybody have experience with them? What's your opinion on their prices?
http://www.vintagearcade.net
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: Arcade Cabinet Shopping for the Non-Repair Man...

by chupon Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:53 pm

You're in Michigan right? Join KLOV. You don't need to be an active member - just communicate well. Tons of deals in Michigan.

I've got less than 50 posts and have scored four pins and three arcade cabs on there all in the northern Indiana / Chicago and Michigan area.

Pay a hundred extra and get a fully working cab that needs no work.

It's not as hard as you think.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:06 pm

chupon wrote:You're in Michigan right? Join KLOV. You don't need to be an active member - just communicate well. Tons of deals in Michigan.

I've got less than 50 posts and have scored four pins and three arcade cabs on there all in the northern Indiana / Chicago and Michigan area.

Pay a hundred extra and get a fully working cab that needs no work.

It's not as hard as you think.

Yup in MI. So, just so I know I'm looking in the right place, can you post the best link?

Like this link doesn't look like the most helpful
http://www.klov.net/buy-sell/videogame- ... elling.php
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:53 pm

racketboy wrote:What's your opinion on their prices?
http://www.vintagearcade.net

A tad high. Not terrible, if they have a warranty. Now the prices on their Pins are pretty competitive.

If you want turnkey cabs, expect to pay atleast 1k per game, with a good bit of the more popular games being in the 2-3k range (especially if they are more complicated like Vector monitors).

Come up with your must have list, and ask on KLOV. Chupon is right, the Chicago area is hot with all sorts of cabs.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:00 pm

In addition to a couple originals, maybe also get a Mame Cabinet? No it is not an original for collectable, but has much better revisit play ability.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:08 pm

The Miss Pac-Man / Galaga class of 1981 cabinet is about ten years old now. Maybe that's a good cabinet to chase because it looks and feels close to the originals, but isn't nearly as old. I have not priced one, but I believe this cabinet is cheaper than an original Galaga all by itself.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks, guys! Part of the hard part if I get above $1000 per unit is knowing which ones will get more use above my personal interest ;)

And I'm really curious on what my chances are on a 6-player X-Men cab :)

Oh! And I see some listings mention an LCD upgrade -- are those usually a good idea (still feel somewhat authentic)?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:17 pm

I was skeptical of the LCD monitors in the past (given that I'm a grumpy old luddite), but having seen one in person, they're darn sharp. Also, the LCD monitors seem to require less maintenance than the CRT monitors. They weigh less, and they're significantly easier to replace if they do fail.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:43 pm

racketboy wrote:Thanks, guys! Part of the hard part if I get above $1000 per unit is knowing which ones will get more use above my personal interest ;)

And I'm really curious on what my chances are on a 6-player X-Men cab :)

Oh! And I see some listings mention an LCD upgrade -- are those usually a good idea (still feel somewhat authentic)?
samsonlonghair wrote:I was skeptical of the LCD monitors in the past (given that I'm a grumpy old luddite), but having seen one in person, they're darn sharp. Also, the LCD monitors seem to require less maintenance than the CRT monitors. They weigh less, and they're significantly easier to replace if they do fail.

Many of the newer Arcade Cabs came with LCDs which do look crystal clear. The Cabinet still quite heavy CRT or LCD. In the sake of buying an original Retro Cab, I think an LCD conversion wipes out the whole point. In addition, the geometry might be stretched if the LCD does not match the original CRT aspect ratio of say 4:3. Imagine Street Fighter with widescreen fat fighters for instance. However, many CRT Cabs used custom tall screens such as SHMUPs which could transpose to an LCD rotated. The flat screen video conversion from CRT Cabs also had to be done correctly to avoid pixel stretch "out of focus" distortion to the higher fixed resolution of LCDs and LEDs.

If going to a modded Retro Cab to flat screen since no longer original, the Mame Cab proves even more attractive. Tons of games without weighing a ton of cabs at your custom Roms setup and not getting bored by the one or in the case of Neo Geo, a limited library of games. The neat thing of a Mame Cab since not original, no hindrance to custom tailored controls at a later date. Either an all in one or if really nuts; imagine pop off Cpanels of Fighter to Driving to Spinner to Trakball to Dual Stick layout depending on game taste. :idea:

racketboy wrote:So at work, we've got a growing staff and a new warehouse with lots of space. I'm thinking about starting to pick up a few arcade cabinets over the next few years.

:shock: Would love to see pictures of that HUGE "Gameroom", even if still in progress!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:32 pm

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Here's the thing. We're adults now. We can afford to drop 1K+ on a dedicated arcade cab. Like others have said - make your list. Stick to it.

It something pops up that's in good condition - buy it - even if it's a few hundred more than you saw sold three months ago - just buy it. If it's at the top of your list just do it. Especially if it's close.

You can wait and nickel and dime forever. For me - saving $100 or $200 just doesn't matter anymore. If I want something I buy it. If I can't - I sell other stuff and then buy it.

I bought my dedicated Killer Instinct 1 cab for $700 a few years ago. It was about 120 miles away. I paid the dude full price and didn't even bother negotiating even though 5 hours away in Saint Louis one had just sold for $500. If it pops up and you want one just get it. It's not worth waiting 2 years to get an awesome deal which equals a few hundred dollars.

I'm not rich but as I'm 30 years into this hobby I can move stuff I I need to free up cash just like you.

Test it on site and ask questions. All I can say. PM me if you have questions - I'm happy to help. I've hooked up a few forum members with bulk arcade buys and I've a good connection with an operator where I love that has 300 or so cabs, 30 pins, and I shit you not 1000s of boards. If you need a hookup or have cash to blow let me know.

Just ask Aaron on this site. Forget his user name but he bought 8 or 9 cabs from me.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Return to Arcade