Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
8bit
Next-Gen

Suggestions on where to buy a Candy Cab from?

by 8bit Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:46 pm

At some point in the next 12 months I'd like to purchase a candy cab of some sort for some CPS1/2 gaming goodness. I am located in Houston Tx incase someone knows an place I could talk to locally but I know I will likely have to buy somewhere else and have it shipped. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

As far as what I want to buy goes,I'm not locked into looking for a specific model but my basic requirements are pretty straightforward: something I don't have to refurb or do maintenance on to start with, have a two player 6 button layout, have a rotatable monitor, and try to keep it under $1200 or so. Any specific recommendation on the model I should go after are welcomed.

Thanks for the help!
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
mjmjr25

Re: Suggestions on where to buy a Candy Cab from?

by mjmjr25 Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:03 pm

If you want to stay under $1,200, shipping included, that still leaves you with a few good options. The most plentiful and easy to source parts are going to be Astro City and New Astro City (NAC). Both have rather easily rotated monitors (undo bezel and hood, undo 4 bolts, undo stereo connector, pull out 3 feet, rotate, drop back in, put bolts, stereo lead and bezel / hood back on). Takes 20 mins the first time, takes 5 mins or less each time after that.

I assume you want JAMMA standard (which CPS1/2 are, as are 90%+ of all arcade games after 1988) so stay away from JVS standard cabs like Namco's and the Sega Naomi models.

For a bit more money you can get a Blast City which has a tri-sync monitor, so gives the most flexibility / best picture of any cab under $1,200 (or under $1,500 for that matter).

Where to buy - in the states and short of finding something local:

Ken @ the gameroom: http://www.thegameroom.com/arcade-games.shtml
Astros $750 / NAC's $850 / Blasts $950

He's in Utah, so shipping might be reasonable (under $300)

Chris @ Windy Gaming: http://www.windygaming.com/collections/arcade-cabinets

He's in Chicago, so shipping might be slightly more based on your location.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm

$1200 will give you a chance to get one. Just keep your eyes peeled on the forums here, klov, and neogeo for a candycab buy. Cdamm just had one go through for Chicago with the following prices:
Blast City ($950)
New Astro City ($750)
New Net City ($900)
Then shipping from there is $300-400.

The only issue with it is your pricing is going to be alittle light if you need new buttons or sticks.

Blasts and New Nets pop up occasionally pop up for 1k on sites. And ofcourse, videogame exchange has them in stock and sells on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.com/VideoGameX?_trks ... 7675.l2563
but their prices have skyrocketed recently. Pairs of Astros from them use to be 2k.
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks guys. The suggestions are very helpful. I'll let yall know what happens...
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:59 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Blasts and New Nets pop up occasionally pop up for 1k on sites. And ofcourse, videogame exchange has them in stock and sells on ebay:
but their prices have skyrocketed recently. Pairs of Astros from them use to be 2k.

No offence but I would never recommend anyone ever buying anything from VideogameX, The guy is a nutter and his prices are just idiotic.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:06 am

ninjainspandex wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Blasts and New Nets pop up occasionally pop up for 1k on sites. And ofcourse, videogame exchange has them in stock and sells on ebay:

No offence but I would never recommend anyone ever buying anything from VideogameX, The guy is a nutter and his prices are just idiotic.

Fair enough, he is just the main guy posting them on ebay. I have never done business with him, but I know several people who have bought cabs with no issue, other than paying more than market for them. I will admit, I almost bought the pair of Astros he put up last year for 1k (they were boardless and needed new cps), but someone else got them before I could.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:08 am

I would be scared to buy a Candy Cab.

My little Agnes would probably eat it!

2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Return to Arcade