Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Do you guys still have Arcades around you?

by aaron Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:04 pm

oxymoron wrote:I'm lucky enough to have a arcade across the street from my high school. It's one of the few arcades still around from the 80's. They have loads of shumps and fighters and most are only 25 cents a play. This is the only real arcade around here. The other ones are all closer LA.

where is this?
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
MulishaSoldier929
32-bit

by MulishaSoldier929 Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:06 am

I remember a sick arcade back in the day at a local mall(mall is gone now) and then there was an 'alright' one in a different mall around 2000-2001(closed it down after a year or so).

The only arcade left near me(its fairly new also) isn't so much an arcade as it is a bar with a bunch of old games near the back. Gotta say its a pretty great combination. Beer and MK2??? Yes, please!
Beer it go good with pizza
catnip
128-bit

by catnip Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:19 pm

As a matter of fact, an arcade/bar just opened about 10 minutes away from my place. I will do some... research... and get back to y'all with how awesome it is.
Final Fantasy IX is the best one
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Just noticed the arcade that was in the Huntington Mall is gone. Don't know when it happened since I only went in the once or twice, but it has been replaced with yet another Primitives store :P. I swear those things pop up like weeds around here. Has to be 50+ primitives stores within 25 miles of me :P.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:45 pm

aaron wrote:
oxymoron wrote:I'm lucky enough to have a arcade across the street from my high school. It's one of the few arcades still around from the 80's. They have loads of shumps and fighters and most are only 25 cents a play. This is the only real arcade around here. The other ones are all closer LA.

where is this?

Just a shot in the dark. SUPER?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 pm

I thought I'd bump this thread to say that a new arcade opened up near me in Middletown, NY and it's amazing.

It's part of a chain called Round1 Entertainment - they have a bowling alley, billiards, and Asian-style karaoke booths... but IMO the arcade is the shining star of this place. It's chock full of Japanese music games! A lot of Bemani games: DDR, Beatmania IIDX, Dance Evolution, Sound Voltex, Museca, and GitaDora, plus others like Pump It Up and Music GunGun 2, arcade versions of Rhythm Heaven, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Project Diva, and Groove Coaster!

They also have a good number of 2D fighters in candy cabs; mostly newer ones but there's also Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. There are other high-end newer machines like Magician's Dead and new versions of classics like Initial D, Maximum Tune, and Silent Scope (Bone Eater...who thought that was a good title? HONESTLY).

My biggest criticism would be a lack of shmups or 1990s machines. I'd also like to see Pop'n Music get added to their collection at some point. But those are nit-picks. As someone who loves music games, this is MAYBE the best arcade I've ever been to. It's more expensive than a typical arcade, but it's wonderful.

The same mall has another arcade that's been there since I was a kid. It's kind of sad, almost entirely ticket-redemption games, very old sit-down racers, and a DDR Supernova machine. I'll still play DDR in there because it's less expensive and part of me loves that older unit's style, but they can't compete without a dramatic overhaul...
Last edited by Nemoide on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Crabmaster2000 wrote:There hasn't been an arcade other than the fairly lame one at the movie theater here since I've lived in Prince George (coming up on 10 years). I'm trying to revive it. I have a small game store with 8 machines in it right now. Hoping to move to a bigger location in the summer as I have 8 more machines that I can't fit in my current location. Also currently working out a deal for 19-22 more machines this weekend and have leads on several others.

Its something I really miss and the gaming community in this town has been really supportive and coming out regularly to toss quarters in. Very promising so far :)

Ok, I know I'm replying to an old comment. Just on the off-chance you still check in occasionally, CrabMaster, are you talking about Prince George, Va? I work in Richmond.
Return to Arcade