Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
jay_red
Next-Gen

Re: Fix it Felix Replica Arcade

by jay_red Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I might look into doing something like that for the coin door, it would be much cheaper than a legit nintendo cab coin door.

Got a little work done with the repairs today, got those corners sanded, shaped and got the t molding slot cut:

CRT, here is the model TV that I put in the cab:
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 pm

jay_red wrote:CRT, here is the model TV that I put in the cab: KV-24FS120

A 480i tube, but still a nice pic. The SVideo connection is fine, you won't be able to pull 480p if you upgraded to Component cables. On the other hand for you PC connection, maybe a VGA to Component transcoder might help to sharpen the pic.

Sony KV24FS120 Manual - http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KV24FS120.pdf
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 pm

I had to take a little break from working on this, I got too frustrated with the control panel and rebuilding the base of the cab, but am back on track.

My problems started with trying to make a clear cover for the control panel, I bought a piece of Acrylic from Lowes (was a lot cheaper than Lexan, now I know why). The first thing I ran into was cutting it to size, you have to score it with a blade, again and again, then "snap" it apart. It was hard as crap to keep the line straight, then it was hard to snap. I finally got it to size, now I had to put the holes for buttons, and here is where it got bad. The acrylic is very easily cracked with drilling, and this was evident with the first 30mm hole I made. I figured I would be careful and might make it. I think I got to the 3rd or 4th hole and it cracked all the way through, and I threw it across the garage.

Then I tried to rebuild the base of the cab, should be easy enough, its just a box frame made out of 2x4's. Well for all of my skills, woodworking is not one of them, and after not being able to cut anything straight, I gave up.

Today I was determined to get stuff taken care of, and bought a piece of Lexan, (its the same stuff they use in race car windows) it will not crack or break. Cutting it to size was a huge paint still, but the holes were pretty easy, as I didnt have to worry about cracking the material. Its not perfect, but I am putting it in the "good enough" category, and pretty much anyone that sees it will think it looks great.

I dont know why it looks wavy in the pics, its not like that in person.

I still need to get the cab sanded and ready for paint, but that will have to wait till next payday at least.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 am

The best tip I can give for working with acrylic is to cut to pieces of wood the size of your CP to sandwich it, and slowly drill through those.
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 am

so I have not been working on the cab for a while due to heat and just being plain busy, but have finally gotten back into it and am nearing completion!

I got it ready for paint and sprayed on the blue, put down a few coats and noticed that there was a bit of texture, but didnt think much of it, little did I know it would come back to haunt me later!

So today I went to apply my graphics I had printed at my work on an adhesive vinyl, I was not sure how well it would stick, but it was free so I figured it would be worth a shot. I went to apply the graphic, and it seems ok, I press it down and walk away for like 2 minutes, look back and its peeling off! I thought this might happen, so I grabbed a can of spray adhesive and tried that...Talk about making things worse! basically now I have the area that the graphic was applied to, completely ruined.

At this point I decide to try out something, since I will have to sand and repaint this side anyway, I put my second print up and mark the outline, and sand the paint smooth only in that area, keeping within my boundaries. After a few minutes it looks like crap, but is smooth, so I take a chance and risk my last print...

Success! It went on smooth, and stuck very well!

Its ok that I only have one side, as the other side will be against my Neo Geo cab, and will not even be visible. With that out of the way I got another small part done, the speakers. Back when I took apart the CRT for the screen I noticed the speakers were nice and compact, and figured I could use them later. I bent the brackets and just screwed them into place.

And a quick shot of about how it will look when completed. I just need to basically put everything back together at this point, I plan on having it done by this weekend for a bbq we are having. My goal is to have all 3 cabs going, my Neo Geo (which is good to go) This Mame, and my Cocktail which is getting a 60 in 1 kit this week.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm

This might be of interest, A Fix It Felix game for your Cabinet!

The Mame Mapping is different, easily circumvented with either Joy2Keys or Joy2Cursor program.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=791579#p791579
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 pm

thanks for the heads up! I will totally be using that in my cab, I just played a couple rounds on my pc and its pretty fun! Too bad I wont be using it legit on a vertical monitor.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 am

jay_red wrote:thanks for the heads up! I will totally be using that in my cab, I just played a couple rounds on my pc and its pretty fun! Too bad I wont be using it legit on a vertical monitor.

Thanks to SpaceBooger, I like the game too! I let the animation run to see why the big guy was crushing the building. Still have not seen the movie yet, but I do have it on the way. Weird that the programmer did not follow the standard Mame key layout yet offered a decent Tate mode for rotatable monitors. Ah well, the keyboard utility programs work just fine.

jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Almost have the cabinet done, I only have to get a coin door, and a smoked piece of glass for the monitor. I ditched the computer in favor of a soft modded origin xbox running vision 3 full. This ended up giving me an easier interface and less issues setting it up. It runs all the games I would want anyway, so I am very happy.

For controls I pad hacked in 2 psx controllers and am using adapters for the xbox. Everything looks great on the new TV I put in, currently using s video, I may look into component later but now I am more than satisfied.

Once I am done, I can focus on the cocktail cab, and modernizing the look a bit.
nlightnd1

by nlightnd1 Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:52 pm

I don't mean to ask this if it's rude but could you share the layout for the control panel? I plan on making something almost exactly like this and it would be absolutely perfect.

Thanks,
Andy
Return to Arcade