Arcade machines -- original or homebrew. Keep emulation topics in the emulation category
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Re: What's Your Favorite Arcade Cabinet?

by Bradtemple87 Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Neo Geo and Virtual On Sit Down
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
JammaNationX
8-bit

by JammaNationX Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 am

My favorite will always be the dedicated Street Fighter cab with punch pads. I loved that game with the punch pads. The 6 button version kinda screwed everything up. I always wanted to throw in a SF2 PCB and try to rig it to work with the punch pads.
thatdanGguy
8-bit

by thatdanGguy Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm

I remember seeing a time crisis cab for the first time. My favorite arcade set it near the entrance and the line for it and along with the crowd onlookers was so big it was difficult to get in the place! They moved it not long after that but still drew big crowds with its new twist on a classic game genre with it's time limits, pedal and gun recoil.

So when time crisis II came out with dual linked big screens? :shock: :shock: :D

If I ever had the space this would be amazing to have. Just such a set piece in any arcade.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post Pictures of Your Favorite Arcade Cabinets

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:59 am

I updated all my posts on the previous pages, now have pictures of each Cabinet. :D

Probably the biggest Arcade Cab ever; a walk in room. Updated back on page 2.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207624#p207624

Blasto
Anyone ever play this game? Very early Arcade Cabinet with elements of strategy and quick reaction.

I played the sit down version decades ago which had real button direction controls worked just like holding down a key on the PC keyboard. Hold button moves ship a notch after a slight pause then rapidly moves just like repeat of text on screen!

Oh and try my programed KlikNPlay game inspired by Blasto.

SPACE TANKS
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=278767#p278767

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 am

Bump -- pictures if you have them ;)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Post Pictures of Your Favorite Arcade Cabinets

by CRTGAMER Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Defender and Stargate

I had the fortune of playing many of the Cabs first hand having been around since Pong first came out at my Bowling Alley. Defender and Stargate rapid pace and so many controls really adds to the gameplay.

Defender hidden strategy element (no kidding) only known to seasoned players
Stay by the highest mountain peak, aliens track towards it depending which side you are on. :idea:

Look closely at the stick for up and down movement only. Reverse changes the ship direction and a tap of the Thrust controls the sideways momentum. The complicated balance of the unique control is lost on home editions.

Stargate added a button for temporary invisibility! Fly into the Stargate to be Hyperspaced to the thick of the battle. Note how the Reverse button is placed next to the up down joystick; tap that button with your left thumb hanging off the stick. Along with Twinstick control Robotron, Eugene Jarvis an excellent game designer.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

G-Darius
32-bit

by G-Darius Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:40 pm

There are many but Tron, Asteroids Deluxe and Bubbles Duramold spring to mind-the Universal games are pretty impressive. I own Cosmic Alien and Cosmic Guerilla
ImageImage
ImageImage
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I absolutely adore Spy Hunter's controls. It's one of my all time favorites.

Hang-On absolutely floored me as a kid. It was part game, part ride.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Hang-On absolutely floored me as a kid. It was part game, part ride.

Akira!
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Ack wrote:Anybody ever get to play the giant Battletech setup? Nothing short of awesome right there.

As for personal favorite, it will always be the three-player AVP cab that Capcom released. Three players, slaughtering hordes of aliens, all at the same time. Awesome. I love multiple-man beat em up cabs, like six-player X-men, four-player Simpsons, four-player Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, four-player Captain America and the Avengers...some of the most fun I've ever had in the arcade were on these kinds of machines.

That Battletech setup brings back good memories. Only had a chance to play it once, but it was a good night out with friends back in my school days. They had a set of them at an arcade in a mall near my parents' place in lower Westchester, New York. After doing a little research, it looks like they had the Tesla II pods.

That particular arcade opened in the late 90's and is still is around. They haven't updated many of the games since it opened, which is great IMO, as they have a selection of games that are had to find in arcades now. The issue is that a lot of the cabinets are not well maintained nowadays.
Return to Arcade