New Guide Format: Sortable Saturn Shmup Value Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
racketboy
Site Admin

New Guide Format: Sortable Saturn Shmup Value Guide

Post by racketboy »

I was in the middle of working on updating the Rare and Valuable Saturn guide when I thought it would be cool to single out the Saturn Shmups and compare prices to game quality (and also factoring in console exclusivity and such)

We figured out a way to let you sort the table by title, prices, or scores -- hope you find it helpful!

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-sat ... ying-guide

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions :)
marurun

Re: New Guide Format: Sortable Saturn Shmup Value Guide

Post by marurun »

Cool. That's a neat idea. How do you weight "quality" and "price" (both) when calculating the Value score?

Also, I'm reminded of all the shooters I love on the Saturn, now. It is tied for first place on my fave console list.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Cool. That's a neat idea. How do you weight "quality" and "price" (both) when calculating the Value score?

Also, I'm reminded of all the shooters I love on the Saturn, now. It is tied for first place on my fave console list.

I have this kinda complex Excel formula that gives different weights to the game score and the average prices and then gives little bonuses for being a Saturn exclusive (other than having an arcade releases) and extra points if there is a US/PAL release.

I fined tuned the weights and calculations until I saw some ranking that I thought matched what I thought was proper ranking.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I love this format, especially if it is alongside (or maybe linked) to game descriptions like the other guides have. I assume this is easier to update as prices change as well?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

chuckster wrote:I love this format, especially if it is alongside (or maybe linked) to game descriptions like the other guides have. I assume this is easier to update as prices change as well?

Not sure if you caught it, but the game titles do link to the section of the full Saturn shooters guide that jumps to that game.
Yes, it would be easier to update :)
Thanks for the feedback!
marurun

Post by marurun »

There are a couple that don't jump correctly. I don't remember which. I think I'd just have to click at them a bit.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

racketboy wrote:Not sure if you caught it, but the game titles do link to the section of the full Saturn shooters guide that jumps to that game.

:shock: By Jove, they do!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:There are a couple that don't jump correctly. I don't remember which. I think I'd just have to click at them a bit.

Yeah, lemme know if you spot some -- it was a bit of a manual process prone to mistakes.
Also, I'm going to see if we can address the fact that it seems like it scrolls too far down due to the floating header overlapping.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Does that here in the forums, too.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Does that here in the forums, too.

Yeah I mentioned that to Matt when I sent him the request ;)