Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
homerging

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Post by homerging »

D.D.D., international shipping for MCZ3001DB chips should be fairly cheap because they're tiny. Faster shipping will still be much more expensive than standard, slow shipping.

Question: is it normal for these TVs to make a high-pitched buzzing noise at times such as when the screen is all white?

There was an interesting comment on AVS where someone entertained the theory that the two 1200uf 250v electrolyte capacitors going bad could be behind MCZ3001D* failures. Could they be right?

The OEM part number of the United Chemi-Con 1200uf 250v capacitor listed on TSM is EKMQ251VSN122MR45S. The thing is only rated for 2000hrs at 105°C but there is no realistic alternative at the time of writing. It can be ordered elsewhere but TSM's prices are more reasonable. Don't order those unless you're certain your TV does use caps with those specifications.

You can buy MCZ3001DBs on Amazon.com - there is an entry with 2 ICs and 2 sockets so Shindengen must know what's going on :) . Shipping to outside the US looks very slow.

It is good to see julian49 was able to fix his KV-HR32 by replacing the IC8002 MCZ3001D only. I suspect it may be worthwhile to try just replacing one of the two MCZ3001D*s and see if that is enough; because if it is it halves the chances of a soldering error or thermal cycling popping a chip later on. Someone on another forum suggested holding the chip into the socket with a clip to prevent it popping out (I would want to be careful to make sure that a conductive clip couldn't cause a short circut).
Last edited by homerging on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

homerging wrote:Question: is it normal for these TVs to make a high-pitched buzzing noise at times such as when the screen is all white?

There was an interesting comment on AVS where someone entertained the theory that the two 1200uf 250v electrolyte capacitors going bad could be behind MCZ3001D* failures. Could they be right?

It is good to see julian49 was able to fix his KV-HR32 by replacing the IC8002 MCZ3001D only. I suspect it may be worthwhile to try just replacing one of the two MCZ3001D*s and see if that is enough; because if it is it halves the chances of a soldering error or thermal cycling popping a chip later on. Someone on another forum suggested holding the chip into the socket with a clip to prevent it popping out (I would want to be careful to make sure that a conductive clip couldn't cause a short circut).

My WEGAS would once in a while making a creaking sound, just thermal expansion. A continual buzz noise on a white screen is not normal. At the white screen the CRT "gun" is kicking up the signal, maybe working harder? I'm not sure there is much you can do about it without a costly repair.

The capacitor might have some influence on the initial power on but it is usually just the two chips that get results. Most of the success stories including myself is just the chip pair replacement. Interesting thought on just replacing one chip to cut down the desolder risk. However, a lot of initial work to get the PCB exposed, so might as well replace both. Not knowing which or both chips that failed, maybe putting in just one good chip with a failed one might cause the new chip to fail?

No need for any sort of clip, the chips will stay in the sockets just fine. Sockets are the way to go in case of a failure again years later. The desolder is damaging enough to the PCB, best to avoid a repeat with the solder iron.

Any WEGA owner should have a pair of the spare chips on hand just in case. Get them now while they are available and inexpensive. Even if someone else will do the repair, good to have the parts ready, taped to the back of the TV housing. :idea:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

banjo

Post by banjo »

this may seem like an odd question but how hard would it be to find a repair service that would do this if I had the chips on hand? if mine ever bites the bullet I don't have the eyesight to do it my self. I just got a Sony WEGA KV-30HS420 and I love it so much in spite of the stretch that it would be hard to go back to an lcd or plasma for retro games.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

banjo wrote:this may seem like an odd question but how hard would it be to find a repair service that would do this if I had the chips on hand? if mine ever bites the bullet I don't have the eyesight to do it my self. I just got a Sony WEGA KV-30HS420 and I love it so much in spite of the stretch that it would be hard to go back to an lcd or plasma for retro games.

Have you tried calling Sony's repair number?
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
banjo

Post by banjo »

I haven't had any problems yet it's just that I got this tv used about a week ago and I'd hate to find that I had a dud(according to guy I bought it from he'd had it for about 6 years). so far it's worked perfectly and in all the research I've came across fewer storys of this model number having problems. I also assumed sony wouldn't offer support for something this old.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

banjo wrote:I haven't had any problems yet it's just that I got this tv used about a week ago and I'd hate to find that I had a dud (according to guy I bought it from he'd had it for about 6 years). so far it's worked perfectly and in all the research I've came across fewer storys of this model number having problems. I also assumed sony wouldn't offer support for something this old.

The repair would cost too much at an authorized Sony TV repair shop. If you can solder and have a steady hand, a magnifying glass really helps. Or a family member or friend that can do the solder work. Hopefully your TV will last, but good to have the chips on hand.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

homerging

Post by homerging »

CRTGAMER wrote:My WEGAS would once in a while making a creaking sound, just thermal expansion. A continual buzz noise on a white screen is not normal. At the white screen the CRT "gun" is kicking up the signal, maybe working harder? I'm not sure there is much you can do about it without a costly repair.
Yes, advanced repairs would be hard to pull off these days. The eastern hemisphere models have different power boards from the ones sold in America. I did read somewhere that the HR is a buzzer due to Sony being cheap in some way. It seems it may almost only be the IC8002 chip that fails in the HR/HX so that could be different in the American WEGAs.

I think sockets are the way to go. I did read of one person had his chip pop so it isn't impossible but it's less risky to use a socket than not to. If you have extra chips and they go off the market you can just sell them if your TV is deceased.
banjo wrote:this may seem like an odd question but how hard would it be to find a repair service that would do this if I had the chips on hand? if mine ever bites the bullet I don't have the eyesight to do it my self. I just got a Sony WEGA KV-30HS420 and I love it so much in spite of the stretch that it would be hard to go back to an lcd or plasma for retro games.
Stretch? Doesn't it have a button on the remote to compress 480i to 4:3?
Any old time television repairer will know how to do component level repairs. It is the newer ones who have only ever worked with flat panel televisions who may not know what to do as they spend most of their time swapping power boards. As many as 90% of TVs are now thrown away when they break down so it's a dying profession which is only still around because they break down so often.
I'd guess an authorised Sony repairer would be obliged to buy the MCZ3001DBs from Sony which would cost much more. Many repairers would be resistant to using sockets as they've been taught from day one that that is a big no no.
But if you think your HD CRT is a good TV and it's worth paying to repair it by someone who knows what they're doing and who doesn't overcharge (and you can't find a better TV second hand) then it's worth it.
banjo

Post by banjo »

homerging wrote:Stretch? Doesn't it have a button on the remote to compress 480i to 4:3?

I'm kind of worried about burn-in. having said that I must have the best luck possible or the worst luck possible. the other night there was power surge. the TV was plug in to a surge protector so it should have been fine. It scared the crap out of me because it flashed blue and then popped like it was giving off static electricity. as anyone can guess I shut it off after that.
jh41

Post by jh41 »

THANKS SO MUCH for ALL this info, pictures, walkthrough, tips, etc!!!
I am new to this site (found it when searching for sony blink codes)

Using this forum, I (just today) fixed my Sony 40" HDTV Trinitron (Sony 40XBR700)

It works great now.
I also want to give mad props for the hair dryer trick. Worked for me for about a month, and I started leaving TV on throughout the day...

But yes, installed the sockets with the chips, so more future-proof.
Also, solder sucker purchased off ebay was definitely the way to go. (also got the 2 chips/sockets off ebay for $17.75)

THanks again for this forum!
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

I completed the repair yesterday and my set is now back to working again (whew!). Thanks for the great info, especially about removing the board without having to disconnect the flyback. But when I fired up the TV I now have a new problem which isn't killer but it is one I'd like to fix. I don't know if I bumped something but the picture is now rotated about 15 degrees counter clockwise, rather than being level. Basically the way to think of it is that a straight horizontal line would show up as slanting from lower left to upper right at about a 15 degree angle. In the old days it'd be that the yoke was turned a little.

I went into Setup with the remote and there is an adjustment for tilt but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm sure the answer is in some post as to how to go into service mode and make this particular adjustment but I haven't been able to find it.

I would greatly appreciate any info someone might have that might help me solve this problem. Thank you in advance! If need be I can take a shot showing the rotated picture and post it.