PSX Dual Analog Guide- Flightstick - Barracuda - □xo∆ FAQ

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: PSX Dual Analog Guide- Flightstick - Barracuda - □xo∆ FA

Post by CRTGAMER »

PS1 Flightsticks Adapted To Other Systems
Take a wild guess what games I'm discovering work with an obscure Flightstick. EVERY GAMECUBE GAME! So instead of just twenty seven games, the PSX SCPH1110 Flightstick works with additional hundreds of games, an undocumented discovery! :shock: :D

I really need to get Wiki updated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... ck_support

There is a Playstation to Gamecube controller adapter called the Cube Joybox built by Mayflash. It is designed for PS1 and PS2 Duel Shock controllers. A nice extra undocumented feature is complete support for the obscure PS1 Flightstick which was produced before the duel shock. Due to the different internal electrical layout it is not compatible with Duel Shock games. The adapter alleviates this, offering both Analog and Digital compatibilty, depending on what mode is selected in the Flightstick.

Amazon Link - http://www.amazon.com/Wii-GameCube-Conv ... B000F7B516

Gamecube Games with the SCPH1110

The Gamecube has over 600 games in its library. I pieced together some games that work very well with the flightstick. I already own some of these games on the PS2 however, the PSX Flightstick does not work on them. A nice surprise that all the Gamecube releases work!

Gamecube Topgun
PS1 Topgun also supports the Flightstick, however the PS2 version does not. In a full circle turn around discovered that the Gamecube version works. Left stick is for Pitch and roll, the Right stick is for the throttle. In an alternate configuration, the right stick controls the views.

Gamecube Midway Treasures 1 and 2
Any twinstick style game in the collections work. Robotron, Total Karnage and even the stick combo trakball Arcade games Kozmik Kroozer and Wacko. Side scrollers are better with an Arcade stick, but driving games such as Hard Drivin work well. I need to pickup Midway treasures 3 and try the games out with the Flightstick.

Gamecube Defender
Left Stick is for pitch and roll while the Right Stick selects different programed rolls. Changing the Right Stick configuration to throttle really enhances the Defender game. Really nice working the two sticks while diving towards the ground to pick up the spacemen.

Gamecube Fire Blade
The perfect game to really give the Dual Analog Flightsticks a workout. Left Stick is the Cyclic for pitch and roll while the Right Stick is the Collective as in a real helicoptor! Throw in a sideways strafe in the Right Stick as well and really have control in flying. The controls are almost as extensive as PS1 Descent! :mrgreen:

According to this reviewer, the PS1 Flightstick works in certain PS3 configurations!
Techni's Controller and Peripheral Museum wrote: http://sites.google.com/site/neotechni/ ... lightstick

SCPH-1110 PS1 Flightstick

Surprisingly enough it works as a standard controller on the PS2, I'll have to try it in a dual shock game, but in analog mode the right stick worked in the menu as the dpad.

This thing has 2 analog sticks, making it a HOTAS flight stick. It apparently works with PS1 Ace Combat and Armored Core games which I will have to obtain later on. On both sticks are 2 buttons on the top for your thumb, a standard trigger (slightly wider than the Dreamcast ones, but clicky/not analog/less resistant) and a little button for your pinky finger. The right analog stick has a thumbstick on it that works as the dpad. It's more like N64s thumbsticks than the dual shock, in that it is plastic with rings rather than that rubber thing dual shock uses.

The two thumb buttons on the left act as L1 and R1, the trigger is L2, the pinky button is R2 The thumb buttons on the right act as X and O, the trigger is Square and the pinky button is Triangle. I find this odd as the triggers should've been L1 and R1, the pinkies L2 and R2. The buttons are redundantly placed on the base as large buttons like what you'd see on a fight/arcade stick. Also with Start and Select. There is also a physical analog mode switch, not a button like on dual shock. There are no L3/R3 buttons

The analog sticks are also a lot more ergonomic than the Saturn Twinsticks. They also have rubber pads. The sticks are also farther apart. The base also has a neat rubber, guard/skirt thing which I like (less dust can get in) and the sticks themselves feel stronger.

And if you thought you were going to get away without me bringing up the fact that this both came out before and was announced before the N64, you don't know me very well. As everyone should know how much I hate that Nintendo gets credit for stealing, but Sony derided for it.

I just played a game of SuperStardustHD, using the PS1 analog flightstick, and it was awesome. I'll start from the beginning. So I'm playing SSHD with Sixaxis, and I'm sorta pinching the right analog to get better control, and pressing the controller against my leg cause I can't hold it correctly one handed. And I'm thinking to myself, I've got the world's largest controller collection, surely I must have something to solve this problem. So I look to my left and there sits the PS1 analog flightstick model SCPH-1110 which came out before the N64

So I grab it and my PS1/PS2 to PS3 USB adapter and plug it in. Luckily the flightstick is dual shock compatible. Not only did it work, it but it works awesomely. I was playing perfectly up until the snake boss when my arms started going numb

All in all, it was very enjoyable, to the point where I'd say I have an unfair advantage. The L1 and R1 to switch weapons are where my left thumb would be. Turbo/boost is the left trigger, bomb is the left pinky finger.

In case you're wondering I scored ~10 million. Which is pretty good considering it's the first time I've played since I got ~27 million about a month ago. And I had to relearn the controls.

Two adapters and an extension cable in case one decides to go two player flying. :idea:

Act Labs PS1 Eagle Max
There are other PS1 sticks that do not work in PS2 games, but work great in the Gamecube with a controller adapter. The Eagle Max Flightstick for example, which converts the right analog stick to a dedicated Throttle Knob on the left just like a CH Flightstick. It also has a Rudder Paddle all the way to the left which can be switched with the Throttle Knob.

Wii Console with PS1 Flightstick
The Wii console also works with the Gamecube adaptor and PS1 controllers! Only older vertical Wii consoles that have the Gamecube controller port have this capability. Another reason not to buy a horizontal Wii, there are Wii games that utilize the Gamecube controller.

In addition, a Mayflash PSX Classic Controller also works with the PS1 Flightstick. This allows any Classic Controller game to work with the huge duel handled Flightsticks!

Wii Sky Crawlers Flight Sim Review: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30455&p=603494#p603494

Amazon Link - http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Controller-Ad ... B002OJ8S7C

PSX SCPH1110 Flightstick In PC

With so many Flight Simulators available, the PS1 Flightstick can really be put to good use in the PC. I use the Kiky X-Series PSX to USB controller adapter.

Amazon Link - http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B00081AL50

I tested with Windows 7 64 bit by plugging first the Flight stick into the adapter and then plugging in the USB cord. No luck, Windows 7 could not find the driver. This drove me nuts until I found an easy solution without need of a driver download.

1. Plug standard Duel Shock into the USB adapter first.
2. Plug adapter in USB port of PC. No disc needed, Windows 7 auto detects.
3. Test the controller by opening Game Controller Properties under Control Panel Devices.
4. Unplug adapter, unplug Duel Shock then plug back in the adapter with no controller.
5. Plug in the Flightstick while adapter is still plugged in USB port of the PC

I was concerned on plugging the Flightstick into the powered up adapter. However, it is the only way it would allow proper calibration. Plugging in the Flightstick before plugging in the adapter resulted nothing working even though it appeared correctly in the Controller Properties. It would not even calibrate in the Property Settings. Plugging the Flightstick into the already "hot" adapter resulted in everything working. The plugged in Flightstick can even be switched back and forth from Analog to Digital with no issues.

Analog Mode
Left stick is detected as X and Y Axis. Right stick is detected as Z Axis Throttle and Z Rotation Rudder. The Dpad Hat Switch works. All buttons work on both base and on the sticks. Disappointing that the right hand stick which has the Hat Switch only works as Throttle and Rudder. However, the sticks can be easily switched with most Flight Simulators which have controller setting adjustments.

Digital Mode
Though Digital Mode is indicated on the Flightstick select switch, both of the sticks are detected analog X and Y Axis with proportional movement. The Z Axis Throttle and Z Rotation Rudder do not work. The Dpad Hat Switch does not work. All buttons work on both base and on the sticks. This mode is handy only if you prefer using either stick as a standard analog stick, handy for right handers or for Flight Sims that do not offer switching the sticks. Disappointing that the Hat Switch does not work in the Digital mode.

This method should work with most PSX to USB adapters. I only own the blue Kiky X-Series, there is an older pink Kiky model that has been reported to be incompatible with Windows XP. The link has a mini review list of various PSX USB adapters.

PSX USB Adapter List: http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/USB_Adapt ... d=noscript

Right Click for a larger picture

Kiky X Series PSX Flight Stick PC Game Controller Properties.JPG
Kiky X Series PSX Flight Stick PC Game Controller Properties.JPG (63.43 KiB) Viewed 22282 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 25 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Full story in the OP
In the GBA Japanese game Mawaru Made In Wario (Wario Twisted), a circle is used instead of a checkmark as an "Okay" or "Correct" symbol. Maybe more proof that substantiates on the PSX Japan controller use of the Circle instead of X for "Okay" as the primary button?
Attachments
Warioware Changes Okay Symbol.jpg
Warioware Changes Okay Symbol.jpg (10.64 KiB) Viewed 22957 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Updated the OP
JackBurton over at Assembler posted an informative article concerning early Sony Digital Controllers, I quoted his post to the OP. One of the manufacturers of the first generation PS1 digital controllers is Alps. This got me thinking of my red and blue Alps PS1 "Batwing" controllers which the concept PS3 controller might have gotten inspiration from. I added all this to the OP. :D

EDIT
I found more information concerning the Alps controller and updated the Guide in the OP. Note below in the quote where the handgrip design was scaled back.

Was the large Alps controller part of the initial concept as the very 1st official PS1 controller? :idea:

Teiyu Goto wrote:http://www.1up.com/news/playstation-1-design

Ignoring management's request for a flat, Nintendo-like pad, Goto came up with a design that had grips on both ends and showed it to Norio Ohga, Sony's president at the time. "I still clearly remember him saying that 'the control stick is the most important part of any game,'" Goto recalled. "Ohga flies airplanes and helicopters, so he used the term 'control stick' to talk about the controller. He really liked the grips on the controller because it let him get a 3D-style grasp on the situation."

Management, however, was still pretty hostile. "They told me that the grip design was simply no good, that gamers wouldn't like it," Goto said. "We did wind up switching to a flatter controller design, and that survived all the way to the point where it was time to start making molds.

Twins, a couple generations apart. :?:

Nandi

Post by Nandi »

Hey,

I've just bought an Analog Joystick. I want to connect it to my PC via an USB adapter but it doesn't function correctly. I read on wikipedia it could be used with one, but mine cannot recognise both sticks. Whatever I do, it sees both sticks as the left joystick. Also the sticks are not proportional on my PC, for example if I move a stick down even a little bit it goes all the way down on my pc. Oh, and it doesn't recognise the little directional pad on the right stick.

Do I need some kind of drivers?

Thanks in advance,

-Nandi
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nandi wrote:I've just bought an Analog Joystick. I want to connect it to my PC via an USB adapter but it doesn't function correctly. I read on wikipedia it could be used with one, but mine cannot recognise both sticks. Whatever I do, it sees both sticks as the left joystick. Also the sticks are not proportional on my PC, for example if I move a stick down even a little bit it goes all the way down on my pc. Oh, and it doesn't recognise the little directional pad on the right stick.

Welcome to Racketboy, always good to have a new member!

I updated the OP at the top of this page with detailed instructions, good luck. :D

Nandi

Post by Nandi »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Nandi wrote:I've just bought an Analog Joystick. I want to connect it to my PC via an USB adapter but it doesn't function correctly. I read on wikipedia it could be used with one, but mine cannot recognise both sticks. Whatever I do, it sees both sticks as the left joystick. Also the sticks are not proportional on my PC, for example if I move a stick down even a little bit it goes all the way down on my pc. Oh, and it doesn't recognise the little directional pad on the right stick.

Welcome to Racketboy, always good to have a new member!

I updated the OP at the top of this page with detailed instructions, good luck. :D

Thank you very much!

So, I'm gonna dig up a Dual Shock controller. I'm mainly into Nintendo stuff, it was an impulsive buy, because I'm not going to see another one for a long time in Hungary. :)
MagOps
8-bit

Post by MagOps »

I have a dual analog brand new in box and sealed. My box is slightly different then the one in the op. I could take pictures if someone would like.

Just thought I would post some fresh info on one that I have that is sealed. My local game store had it and I got it for 10$ the controller is sealed in the original bag and I have never broke it out of the plastic, only taken it out of the box.

Mine is a Dual Analog SCPH-1180 but my box is all white where ops is yellow on sides so they must have had other packaging.
SNES 64 GC Wii Wii U PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4 Genesis Game Gear Neo Geo MVS "Big Red" Xbox Xbox 360 DSi 3DS PSP Vita PC
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

MagOps wrote:I have a dual analog brand new in box and sealed. My box is slightly different then the one in the op. I could take pictures if someone would like.

Just thought I would post some fresh info on one that I have that is sealed. My local game store had it and I got it for 10$ the controller is sealed in the original bag and I have never broke it out of the plastic, only taken it out of the box.

Mine is a Dual Analog SCPH-1180 but my box is all white where ops is yellow on sides so they must have had other packaging.

Thanks for posting and great price! By all means you should give it a test run. The different color packaging might be the SCPH-1150 box that had the vibration motor inside the controller? Considering the very short Retail Store shelf life before the Duel Shock took over, it is strange there would be a package revision. I'm real curious of the packaging, please post a few pictures of everything.

MagOps
8-bit

Post by MagOps »

Here are a few pictures of the controller and the box.

SNES 64 GC Wii Wii U PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4 Genesis Game Gear Neo Geo MVS "Big Red" Xbox Xbox 360 DSi 3DS PSP Vita PC
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

CRT- Would you know anything about using a dual analog controller with a dreamcast converter? I think it might be a really great idea for the Dreamcast's fps games.

Edit: Forgot that the dual analog only replicates the d-pad, so it won't work. I guess the fps games would benefit if the analogs could be switched, if the DC uses the analog and d-pad at the same time when using a converter.