Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: CRT, LCD, Video Inputs, Lightgun HD and More Guides

by CRTGAMER Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:43 pm

Pyramidgod wrote:I think I got too excited upon seeing a Sony kv-32hs500 for free on Craigslist. I picked it up a few days ago, brought it home, fixed (as best I could) the common geometry issues, hooked up my Genesis for some Gunstar Heroes and...disappointment. It's not really surprising to me that retro games look so bad on this thing, I should have held out for an SD model. I've researched, googled everything I could think of and can't find a exact answer to this question: is it possible to get scan lines, or fake them on this model? Will the Framemeister or something similar work on it to perhaps make 240p content look half decent?

I realize this may have been asked before, or could be on this very thread or the $20.00 RLOD repair guide, but if it is I couldn't find it.

CRTGAMER will probably know. I don't NEED scan lines, but the awful visuals are unbearable. Will S-video help where available as a non mod option, or am I SOL?

I'm surprised you are disappointed in the picture quality. I love the imagery on my HD WEGA with all the consoles from Atari to Wii. I am assuming you already set the basics of color, tint, brightness and tilt controls? As for the SD scan lines, not possible on the HD CRT unless you get a box that can "fake" the signal. However, all the retro consoles should display cleanly.

Please post a couple screenshots. Some Genesis models display the "jailbreak" vertical lines made more noticeable on larger screens, be sure you at least are running the composite cable. Also maybe show another brand console screenshot to see if it is the TV or Genesis.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

theclaw
Next-Gen

by theclaw Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:35 am

Pyramidgod wrote:I think I got too excited upon seeing a Sony kv-32hs500 for free on Craigslist. I picked it up a few days ago, brought it home, fixed (as best I could) the common geometry issues, hooked up my Genesis for some Gunstar Heroes and...disappointment. It's not really surprising to me that retro games look so bad on this thing, I should have held out for an SD model. I've researched, googled everything I could think of and can't find a exact answer to this question: is it possible to get scan lines, or fake them on this model? Will the Framemeister or something similar work on it to perhaps make 240p content look half decent?

I realize this may have been asked before, or could be on this very thread or the $20.00 RLOD repair guide, but if it is I couldn't find it.

CRTGAMER will probably know. I don't NEED scan lines, but the awful visuals are unbearable. Will S-video help where available as a non mod option, or am I SOL?

Try out a SNES or anything modern first.
Genesis composite is that bad.
Lum fan.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

by Mad_Hatter Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 am

Does that TV have some sort of special feature that upscales?

My LG TV has a feature called "XD Engine". If I don't have that enabled, everything other than HDMI is extremely blurry.

When I had it enabled I was like "Genesis Composite isn't that bad, not sure why people say that". Turned XD off, and I see what they were talking about.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Hey man, over the past year I've gradually got back into VHS collecting. They look good and relatively sharp on my 27" RCA Tru Flat CRT. A few questions have come to mind I can't find much info on, though you might know.

- How do 480i CRT TVS handle lower resolution signals such as 240i VHS or a 224i signal from a Sega Genesis? Is there any "scaling" involved or does the TV display the native sub 480 signal line for line?

- Is my VCR displaying in 240 or 480? Didn't know if the deck itself took that lower res signal from the tape & did any scaling before outputting via composite.

- What about even lower res VHS tapes running @ 210i, etc... assume the same answers from above apply?

- Lastly, I recall you mentioning that HD CRTs are capable of playing native resolutions without upscaling attempts. Did I read that correct? Would love this if so! Best of both worlds!

... I have the VHS bug lol. Any info on my questions above are much appreciated. Happy to start a thread on this but saw we had few threads on the format already :)

There is no need to run a video game console thru the VCR EXCEPT if you are converting a RF only console to Composite such as an unmodified Atari 2600 or Toploader NES. Even then, it is best to plug to the RF directly into the coaxial input of the TV. If a console has video output of anything else besides RF such as Composite or SVideo, best to use these and hook up directly to the TV. Any video output besides using RF will be an improved video signal. Some have reported improved picture going thru the VCR in the loop, a personal test of each method is the best way to confirm.

As for the upscaling, the SD CRT displays in the native resolution of the retro consoles versus a LCD or LED fixed upscale of 720p or 1080p for non HD signals. Even the HD CRT displays the older consoles just fine with NO UPSCALE, if you do not mind losing the traditional SD scan lines or Retro Light Gun support. I personally like the smoothness the HD CRT brings to the older consoles versus a SD tube. Plus you gain HD capability all the way up to 1080i.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks CRT, answered my questions.

I was asking primarily for VHS purposes regarding the VCR, not going to run any consoles through it. I avoid RF if at all possible. Great to know the CRTs keep the native resolution.

Also, thanks for pointing out the scan line won't be present for the HR CRT.

In the process of reading the 25 pages of this thread. Good stuff. 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:00 pm

How do HD projection TVS fit into the mix regarding scaling & native resolutions?

Also SD projection sets?

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:How do HD projection TVS fit into the mix regarding scaling & native resolutions?

Also SD projection sets?

I do not own any, from what I have seen a waste of money. Poor angle view and the expense of buying a new lamp every few years. Not sure on the upscale, but the picture is not as sharp as a direct view screen.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:58 am

I had a HD projection TV in college. I got it FOR FREE (long story... from a crappie roommate moving out). Speakers went out & I Frakensteined a set together after multiple trips to Radio Shack lol.

We had SD cable that looked a little grainy & washed out on the set.

BUT it did play widescreen DVD in 480p very well.

HD DVD (the set maxed out at 720p) from the xbox360 add-on looked REALLY good for the time.

Keep in mind the bulb was relatively fresh & it was (at the time of purchase) a high end Sony set.

Overall, an okay unit with fun college memories... especially for free.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:41 pm

emwearz wrote:Hey CRT,

Thought you would be the best person to ask. Recently got another Sony Trinitron, this one has the best geometry of any I have had (they have all had pin cousin problems).

However, the image is somewhat blurry in the corner, but wicked sharp in the middle of the tube.

I have looked around and it seems only playing with pots on the back of the tube (of which going near scares the shit out of me) is the only way to fix this issue, I was wondering if you knew of any service menu options that can fix these kind of issues with Sony TV's or is it strictly a pot job.

Cheers,

Sometimes you run into this the gun of the CRT not hitting the edges at a crysrtal clear focus. You could try tweaking the focus knob located on the Flyback Transformer. Just use a plastic screwdriver to keep clear on the high voltage. Adjusting that knob will be a compromise of the center to edge of the tube focus. Really it is low risk of shock as long as you keep your hands clear of the Flyback Transformer and cable, just use a small plastic "TV Tuner" screwdriver.

emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Sounds simple enough.

Might get my dad to come around while I do it, just in case, easy ride to hospital / morgue.
Return to Guides