Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by D.D.D. Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:47 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:Hey CRTGamer~

So bad news... my Wega Trinitron seems to be struggling to turn on these days. It still turns on but some days, when I hit the master power and it makes its "dooooon", on bad days that "dooooon" is gone or very minimal compared to usual.
It also did a 5x LED error blink, which according to Sony's service center means "something is wrong internally"... So vague. It made that LED blink once but went away the next day and worked fine for another week or so before making a weak "dooon" on power up again.

So what parts (if they have them still) should I make sure to check that they're replacing? The IC chips were replaced about 5 years ago by the previous owner (I assume those are still good...) but what about capacitors or a power board?

Thanks!

Weird coincidence that you brought this up. My bedroom HDCRT WEGA spare is also starting to act up shutting off by itself. Unlike the repaired twin in the living room, the bedroom Sony has not had the power detection chip upgrade yet and still has the older chips. I unplugged it for a week and was going to start the desolder then decided one more test run. Plugged it back in this morning (turns on as soon as plugged in) and so far has been on for a few hours. As an interim until you obtain the chips, maybe unplug your TV for a few days?

To minimize power surges of warmed up components and the power detection chips, only turn on the Trinitron WEGA once a day once you get it fired back up.

Your power detection chips could have failed again, especially if not the revised set. Even the upgraded chips have been known to fail. Possible good news is if the previous owner installed BOTH of the replacement Power Detection chips and also installed with sockets, the WEGA could be a very easy fix. A simple matter of popping in replacement chips. Be sure the newer revised chips are MCZ3001DB with the B in the model number. I would go the inexpensive chip route which usually is the cause before diving further with capacitor replacement.

See the OP for the repair and be careful of high voltage around the fat wire Flyback Transformer and back of the tube even when unplugged. Hope you have the sockets already installed, please post an update of which model chips are inside (maybe pics) along with the TV Model Number. Good Luck on the repair and hope you have sockets inside.

EDIT
It is now 6:45pm, a good sign the chips might hold out for at least a little while longer. The Sony HDCRT TV has been on for almost 12 hours straight. That unplug the power for a week seemed to help at least for the short term. I'll post an update if anything changes. :D

Well, I guess my TV usage is good - when I do use it, I do only turn it on once a day and only for 2~4 hours at most.

So more than likely, the Sony guy will replace the chips first and if so - should I expect the power on "dooon" sound to be quicker or more powerful or something else? Because it's never been a fast sound but certainly loud enough to hear - the two times it seemed to struggle it barely made the sound.

I'll see what comes up for the chips locally.

Thanks again!
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:58 pm

D.D.D. wrote:Well, I guess my TV usage is good - when I do use it, I do only turn it on once a day and only for 2~4 hours at most.

So more than likely, the Sony guy will replace the chips first and if so - should I expect the power on "dooon" sound to be quicker or more powerful or something else? Because it's never been a fast sound but certainly loud enough to hear - the two times it seemed to struggle it barely made the sound.

I'll see what comes up for the chips locally.

Thanks again!

TV MODEL NUMBER and CHIP NUMBER?
Please post the model number of your TV and the part number of the chips that failed inside (if the B revised chips or not) . This helps in identifying history of Sony TVs with issues.

You can pop the back cover off yourself to see if the chips are socketed. Do this before you order the chips in case sockets are also needed. Even if a professional repair, insist that sockets be installed for making the job easier if it ever fails again. It is uncommon for chips to fail again, but you never know. To give you hope, my TV that I repaired in 2011 (pictured in the OP) with the REVISED B model chips is still going strong. :D

Note that if the internal chips are already in sockets, a very easy pop off replacement that you can do yourself. Certainly a lot cheaper and less troublesome then hauling the TV off to the Repair guy.

As for the power on "doon" sound, it is normal of the De-gauze to do that. No worries on that as long as the picture appears a few seconds later. The main thing is not to press the power button more then once. I do not even use the remote for power on or off for fear of an accidental double on off signal. I press the power button just once right on the TV to avoid that risk.

In the picture below from the OP, I have one of the chips removed. You can see the empty socket.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 am

CRTGAMER wrote:TV MODEL NUMBER and CHIP NUMBER?
Please post the model number of your TV and the part number of the chips that failed inside (if the B revised chips or not) . This helps in identifying history of Sony TVs with issues.

You can pop the back cover off yourself to see if the chips are socketed. Do this before you order the chips in case sockets are also needed. Even if a professional repair, insist that sockets be installed for making the job easier if it ever fails again. It is uncommon for chips to fail again, but you never know. To give you hope, my TV that I repaired in 2011 (pictured in the OP) with the REVISED B model chips is still going strong. :D

Note that if the internal chips are already in sockets, a very easy pop off replacement that you can do yourself. Certainly a lot cheaper and less troublesome then hauling the TV off to the Repair guy.

It's a KD-32HD900 and I have yet to take off the back cover because of the charge of electricity it may still have so I'm not sure what chips it has or if they're socketed.
So in your experience, when a CRT fails to turn on/show picture, it's usually these type of chips that have failed?

CRTGAMER wrote:As for the power on "doon" sound, it is normal of the De-gauze to do that. No worries on that as long as the picture appears a few seconds later. The main thing is not to press the power button more then once. I do not even use the remote for power on or off for fear of an accidental double on off signal. I press the power button just once right on the TV to avoid that risk.
In the picture below from the OP, I have one of the chips removed. You can see the empty socket.

De-gauze sound: okay. Before this tube, it had been a while since I heard a CRT power on as loud as this one.
I only turn on/off the TV with the master switch cuz (many reasons).
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:42 pm

D.D.D. wrote:It's a KD-32HD900 and I have yet to take off the back cover because of the charge of electricity it may still have so I'm not sure what chips it has or if they're socketed.

So in your experience, when a CRT fails to turn on/show picture, it's usually these type of chips that have failed?

Yes the inexpensive chips usually solves the problem. No worries on the electricity as long as you follow the precautions I mentioned earlier. Really, just pop that back cover so you can see where you are at concerning the sockets or not and which revision chips were installed.

Okay, I found where you mentioned about this TV before, it is back on page five of this Thread. Yeah I would DEFINITELY fix it! Look back at the page, I linked your PDF manual there if you have not downloaded it yet.

CRTGAMER on May 12, 2012 wrote:http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=610927#p610927

:shock: FOUR S-Video connections in the back and another in the front! And I thought I had a lot with just three, a shame new HDTVs do not carry SVideo.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 pm

SEE THE OP FOR THE REPAIR
Due to the recent questions on Sony TV power issues, a bump of the Guide to refresh get the word out on this important inexpensive repair.

CRTGAMER wrote:
Fragems wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:I shudder at Fragem's suggestion! Though that would run the Degauss again,
DO NOT POWER OFF THE TV THEN POWER RIGHT BACK ON AGAIN!
Yeah typo on my part :lol: I meant to say turn off for 5-10 seconds instead of after :P.
Actually I do mean do not turn it on again the VERY SAME DAY
No kidding, the capacitors and Flyback hold a charge for probably a month. At least letting the components cool all the way down might be more easy on the defective chips to cut down on the surge. I NEVER use my TV remote to power on a TV due to risk of double signal. Power ONLY once at the TV console button and wait patiently for the red light to cycle, Degauss Pop and then CRT kicks on. Maybe over precaution, but I want my rare HD CRT to outlive me. Yes, there have been Sony chips blown due to the double power on mode of that damn remote.

@ juststuff - The MZC3001D Chips (Revised are MZC3001DB) continually monitor the amps going thru the D board (two of them mounted) and will shut down the TV at sporadic times as the chips start to fail. First indicator usually is similar to what you are describing. However, it could also be many of other components. The Chip replacement is the cheapest route and usually solves the problem, but it is a tricky desolder/solder job.

Take as look at the OP to get an idea what is involved in the repair. There is also info such as the hair dryer trick which is only a temporary solution. I would not do the chip change until absolutely necessary, but at least have the chips and sockets ordered and on hand. I keep four extra MZC3001DB chips in case they fail again, the socket installation mod makes swapping chips a breeze. :idea:
Exhuminator wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:There have been Sony chips blown due to the double power on mode of that damn remote.
Is this a Sony exclusive problem with Trinitrons?

No, not just Sony, but other manufacturers as well. Any TV or component could get that double signal resulting in power off then back on. It is just when there is a fragile power detection chip, take every precaution you can. There are quite a few of the Sony series that have the defective chips. A known history of failure rate on various brands of SD, ED and HD CRTs.

A shame so many of the last generation of great CRT TVs get disposed when the repair is so inexpensive. I posted all of this with a list of some Sony models in the Repair Guide at the OP, an additional list in one of the Replies on the first page.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Sony WEGA Trinitron KV-32HS500 4:3 HD CRT
I picked up a SECOND Sony 32" Trinitron 4:3 HD CRT TV, an exact same model as in the OP. This Trinitron is a backup to be stored in the washroom. HD CRTs are getting difficult to find as the years progress.

Best to bring a portable battery operated PlugNPlay game unit when buying ANY TV. I use the Ms Pacman version that has both Pole Position and Xevious. The idea is to get a solid color (instead of the black background of most older arcade roms) to confirm the color convergence and geometry.

Craiglist Seller wrote:I have for sale a 32" Trinitron WEGA TV, the last of the great Sony CRT monitors. Free, U-haul.

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Sony
model name / number: KV-32HS500
size / dimensions: 32"

Features (per Crutchfield):
Hi-Scan HDTV monitor (compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats -- when connected to a separate HDTV tuner -- and displays them at 1080i or 480p)
4:3 screen aspect ratio
auto/manual 16:9 Enhanced viewing mode for HDTV and anamorphic DVDs
Digital Reality Creation Multifunction (upconverts NTSC sources to 960i or 480p)
10-bit 3D digital comb filter
SRS TruSurround™ 3D audio processing
181-channel NTSC tuner
2-tuner PIP (split-screen)
video input labeling
7 A/V inputs, including:
4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
2 rear-panel wide-bandwidth component video
(compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
DVI HDTV input with HDCP copy protection <HDMI adapter capable>
2 RF inputs for antenna/cable
Memory Stick playback (JPEG)
30 watts total (7.5 x 2, plus 15 for subwoofer)
35-5/16"W x 26-11/16"H x 23-5/8"D

Worked perfectly when I stuck it in the garage a couple of months ago; I was just tired of dealing with its massive size. You'll need a large car and at least two very strong people to move the beast.

Before moving the heavy TV into the house, best to do the preventative maintenance outside. The SUV makes a great workbench; the components can be dusted out properly with the outside air to your advantage. :idea:

Ooh, check out the third built in surround sound speaker! You won't find that in newer flat screens! Placed a wood shelf underneath to support the slide out PCB tray at the bottom.

KV-32HS500 Cleaning 01.JPG
KV-32HS500 Cleaning 01.JPG (132.12 KiB) Viewed 48127 times

I cleaned a layer a soot off the screen and disappointed to find some fine scratches on the CRT glass. Just surface scratches, but will not attempt to polish them out. The tube has an anti glare glaze and has high pressure gas inside the glass. Fortunately the scratches are small and with the CRT turned on and lit up, the scratches are "out of focus" when viewed from a couple of feet away. I had concerns of seeing the "dead pixels" scratches, but the screen is crystal clear. Whew! 8)

After the cleaning and dusting off all the components, as expected the power detection chips are the original fragile MCZ3001D chips. The B version chips came out a few years after the WEGA were manufactured. Ah well, a backup HD CRT Trinitron TV that works beautiful and I do have extra chips and sockets should they ever need replaced. :mrgreen:

KV-32HS500 Cleaning 02.jpg
KV-32HS500 Cleaning 02.jpg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 48127 times

WEGA Remote
One thing to watch for is if your Trinitron has TWO RF inputs. Critical to find a remote that has the ANT button which is the only way to switch between the RF inputs. The WEGA "Star Trek Flip Phone" remotes have all the buttons including the PIP for dual image view and the ANT button.

Some of the XBR series also include Widescreen and "." Digital TV Channel feature buttons. I have three "flip phone" WEGA remotes, found the XBR extra button version today for only two bucks at the Thrift Store! :shock:

The XBR Remote is perfect for my WEGA KD-27FS170, beats the smaller original remote.

1. The ANT button switches between Digital and Analog Tuner.
2. The "." button allows direct digital channel selection such as 39.2.
3. The Widescreen button changes Geometry for digital broadcast filling the screen.

This Sony Trinitron is unique. Digital Tuner and 1080i tube on a SD CRT! :mrgreen:

Television Mods - Audio Out - HD Digital TV - HD Antenna
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1005514#p1005514

Amazon Specs wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOWRIU?tag=newwpmu-20

The KD27FS170 has a 4:3 aspect ratio and produces standard definition, 480i (interlaced) resolution, but the picture quality will be greatly enhanced using the component video connection. Also, this set provides a wide screen mode for watching digital 16:9 (widescreen) broadcasts in their original widescreen format, or you can choose the zoom function to fill the 4:3 aspect ratio screen.

The digital 3-line comb filter compares each horizontal scanning line with the lines above and below, separating black-and-white detail from color information to virtually eliminate edge crawls and rainbow effects while enhancing horizontal resolution and minimizing video noise. It also offers the following convenience features:

- Parental Control (V-Chip) helps parents monitor what their children watch on TV by establishing rating limits.
- Favorite Channel function enables you to set up and select from up to five of your favorite channels.
- Program Palette presets offer combinations of picture settings engineered to make the most of specific entertainment types (choose from Vivid, Standard, Movie and Sports).
- Front panel controls allows access to the on-screen menus without the use of a remote control.
- Front composite A/V inputs let you quickly connect video games, camcorders, or stereo/mono equipment.
- Meets Energy Star guidelines for energy efficiency.

This set has built-in stereo speakers that produce 5 watts of power per channel (for 10 watts of total power) as well as Dolby Digital for 5.1-channel surround sound. It offers the following connection options:

- Composite (RCA audio/video): 2 inputs (1 front)
- S-Video: 1 input (audio connection uses composite left/right audio jacks)
- Component (Y/Pb/Pr): 1 input (with left/right audio jacks)
- RF: 1 analog VHF/UHF and 1 digital ATSC

Masquarr

by Masquarr Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:16 pm

In November of 2018, the TV set got the red light problem described in the OP, so I removed the two chips, bought the replacement SHINDENGEN MCZ3001DB chips, and installed them. However, I recently ran into the different problem.

The TV set no longer responds to my remote, even though the batteries have a charge. The light on the remote even lights up red while I push buttons, but the TV does nothing. I have to push the button on the TV set to turn it on.After I do that, the screen first says, “Now tuning” in the upper-left corner of the screen. Then it changes to, “No Signal.” The channel display in the upper-right corner keeps changing channels. It keeps gradually increasing the number of the channel, then eventually it starts over from channel 2.1. While this is happening, I can’t stop it. I can’t change the input, no matter which button I press on the TV set, or which button I press on the remote. I have created a video of this.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be the cause of this problem? Is it likely to be the two chips again, or does the problem probably lie somewhere else?
Return to Guides