Kohan: Early 2000s PC RTS -- Trying to get players!

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
KillemallCFH
32-bit

Kohan: Early 2000s PC RTS -- Trying to get players!

Post by KillemallCFH »

tl;dr -- Kohan: Ahriman's Gift is an RTS from 2001 that I'm in love with, and want other people to play it with me and love it as much as I do.

Hey all! I haven't posted here in a while, but wanted to share a love I have recently rediscovered -- Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. I'm really into this game right now, and basically wanted to see if any others would be into trying it out and getting into it. I would love to build a little community around it, as it's just me and a friend who play together right now.

It's a really interesting RTS -- it cuts out a lot of the micro-management by creating/controlling "companies" instead of individual units. Instead of having to micro-manage every unit, you just move your companies until they engage enemy companies, at which point they automatically move into position and attack, and support units cast spells and all that. Similarly, you don't build individual buildings on a map; you just build settlements and then make buildings in menus in the settlements (like Civilization or something). The economy system is also pretty unique, with gold as well as a number of other resources. It's hard to describe -- you'll have to see it or play it.

I come from having been into Starcraft and Starcraft 2 and following the competitive scene and all that, so my thing is competitive 1v1s. The single-player campaign is fine, and doing matches against computer opponents is fun, but the fun of RTS's to me is that intense strategic mindset you get into going head to head with someone else. Just for fun, I commentated on a game my friend and I did recently and put it up on YouTube. I'm gonna keep making more, because I just had a lot of fun doing it, but it would be more fun to have matches to cast besides just between the same two people!

There's a few hoops to jump through to get it to work on modern operating systems. But we're retro gamers -- we're used to going to extreme lengths to play our old games in a modern world. The game is available on steam (I linked it above), and there's a post on the Steam community board that can help you get it set up if you have Windows 8 or 10. Since official support of the game ended a while ago, there's been some community patches made (they're in that post). I use 1.3.10. I'm more than happy to help anyone set it up, learn the game, or anything like that.

It's my dream to get some more people into this game. I'd love to have some more people to do 1v1s with, and maybe get enough where we could set up a tournament. There is a community out there that seems to be alive-but-dwindling, but their thing is more doing big 3v3 and 4v4 matches. I'm gonna try to reach out to them too, but I figured I'd reach out to you guys to try to get some new recruits. This game is an absolute blast, and I hope you guys think so too!

Thanks for reading.
I'm known as ZebetiteGlitch or Zeza Von Thantos on other platforms.
KillemallCFH
32-bit

Re: Kohan: Early 2000s PC RTS -- Trying to get players!

Post by KillemallCFH »

Just wanted to give this a tiny bump to let people know I'm continuing to make content for this game, and continuing to try to get people into it! Thanks for reading.
I'm known as ZebetiteGlitch or Zeza Von Thantos on other platforms.